friend getting a Tc

gpmarzan

so my friend is getting a new scion tc within a week or so. i told him i would race him for fun one day to see if old school (st165 jdm engine) can keep up with a new breed (tc). anyone raced one yet? you think my st165 can beat it? this is all in fun.

omgitsroy326

Model Scion tC

General Information

Price [$US] from $15,950 (Get the latest price here)

Layout front-engine / front-wheel-drive
Drag Coefficient [cd] 0.32
Curb Weight [lb (kg)] 2905 (1317)
Weight Distribution [%f / r] 58 / 42
Trunk Space [cu ft.] 12.8

Overall Length [in. (mm)] 174.0 (4420)
Overall Width [in. (mm)] 69.1 (1755)
Overall Height [in. (mm)] 55.7 (1415)
Wheelbase [in. (mm)] 106.3 (2700)
Track Front [in. (mm)] 59.3 (1506)
Track Rear [in. (mm)] 59.3 (1506)

Steering Rack & Pinion; power-assisted
Turning Radius [ft. (m)] 18.1 (5.6)
Tires front 215/45 ZR17
Tires rear 215/45 ZR17

Engine

Type Inline-4; aluminum block and head
Valvetrain DOHC 4-valve/cyl.; VVT-i
Displacement [cc] 2362
Bore & Stroke [mm] 88.5 x 96.0
Compression Ratio 9.6:1
Redline [rpm] 6200

Max. Power [Bhp at rpm] 160 at 5700
Max. Torque [lb-ft (Nm) at rpm] 163 (221) at 4000
Bhp/Liter 67.7

Accommodation

Seating Capacity 5
Front Head Room [in. (mm)] 37.6 (955)
Front Leg Room [in. (mm)] 41.6 (1057)
Rear Head Room [in. (mm)] 36.6 (930)
Rear Leg Room [in. (mm)] 33.6 (853)

Interior Noise

Idle in neutral [dBA] 39
70 mph coasting [dBA] 71

Gear Ratios

1st 3.54:1
2nd 2.05:1
3rd 1.33:1
4th 0.97:1
5th 0.78:1
Final drive 4.24:1

Suspension

Front MacPherson struts; coil springs, anti-roll bar
Rear Double-wishbone; coil springs, anti-roll bar

Braking

Front - Brakes 10.8 in. (275 mm) ventilated discs
Rear - Brakes 10.6 in. (270 mm) solid discs
70 - 0 mph [ft (m)] 179 (55.6)
60 - 0 mph [ft (m)] NA

Performance*

0 - 60 mph [secs] 7.4
0 - 100 mph [secs] 20.9
1/4 mile [secs at mph] 15.7 at 88.0

Top Speed [mph] 127
Lateral acceleration [g] 0.81

Fuel Economy [City/Hwy in mpg] 22 / 30

omgitsroy326

weights bout 3200 ish ... woh u have the JDM engine? 225hp /torque

again.... is it worth your time. Let that person spend some money on mods and then race him

gpmarzan

omgitsroy326":s55gmihz said:

again.... is it worth your time. Let that person spend some money on mods and then race him

Yea i have the jdm 2nd gen 3sgte but its completely stock. I told you its all for fun racing. def worth the time knowing if his new car can get whoop by an 88 celica. muahaha :twisted: ...if its the other way around. ohh well. my excuse is that my car is heavier and its an oldschool. hehehe :D

illGT4

gpmarzan":g42ctbiq said:
omgitsroy326":g42ctbiq said:

Yea i have the jdm 2nd gen 3sgte but its completely stock. I told you its all for fun racing. def worth the time knowing if his new car can get whoop by an 88 celica. muahaha :twisted: ...if its the other way around. ohh well. my excuse is that my car is heavier and its an oldschool. hehehe :D

power comes from the JDM ECU , not the JDM engine...

you should be able to eat a scion tc for breakfast and lunch.

alltracman78

gpmarzan":onh0p534 said:
Yea i have the jdm 2nd gen 3sgte but its completely stock. I told you its all for fun racing. def worth the time knowing if his new car can get whoop by an 88 celica.

Yeah, but he's not really racing a 88, you've got like 35 more hp than your supposed to.

A

Anonymous

My g/f got a new tC 5spd. She used to own a 90 AT. Between a 90-93 all-trac stock to stock, it would be a drivers race, seriously.

illGT4

Anonymous":3rml868k said:
My g/f got a new tC 5spd. She used to own a 90 AT. Between a 90-93 all-trac stock to stock, it would be a drivers race, seriously.

it's always a drivers race. ;) seriously.

Gary

I like the tC. It is roomier, got 2 sunroofs reclining rear seats, and should be a good daily driver. :D

A

Anonymous

Cumon, you know what I mean. If my g/f and I raced 0-60 or 1/4, I would win in both the tC and the AT. I'm just a quick shifter than her, but if you put her in a turbo mr2 against the tC or the all-trac (stock vs stock), I'm sure she would win everytime.

Here's my review of the tC on the scionlife boards for you guys:)

Well, I've had the chance to drive the car a lot more. Here are my impressions.

Interior

Pro: It's very ergonomic, nicely finished, and I don't have any complaints with the dash. Everything seems so far, up to expectations. There are a lot of neat stuff in there, like the top of the center box pops up, the SSP-> xA, xb, tC, the outside temp, memory driver seat. My family has had over 7 toyota's, and it felt at home while still feeling like I was venturing because of the design. I also LOVE the auto up and down features on both doors. The sunroof is very large and also very welcoming. The sunroof and the panorama moonroof make the car feel very "roomy/airy" inside. The hatch provides a lot of room with the seats down also. Even when it's up, I could fit my hockey bag, and my 33" goalie pads no problem.

Con: The large pillars in front and the back obstruct viewing on certain angles, especially when backing up, it's not bad bad, but it can get annoying. The flip up.down cover for the stereo is at times finicky. I am used to driving a 92 Celica ST, a 90 Celica All-Trac Turbo, and a 91 MR2, the seats in the tC would be incredibly insufficient on cornering, there is not enough lateral support. I would seriously consider changing the drivers seat if I (g/f's tC) bought this car. If you ever get a chance to drive a celica all-trac turbo with power lumbars, you will love it:).

Exterior: The body does look a bit pudgy, but still very beautiful. The lines flow very well, there is not a lot of wheel gap, and the wheels really compliment the flint mica. The headlights do look very bimmer-esque. Also, the sunroof looks hot when it's open. I don't really have any complaints about the exterior looks, I really really like it. I know it's not a sports car, but it does cue to a "wilder" side.

Driving Impressions:
This car is fun to drive to a "normal" person who isn't used to "fast" or "agile" cars. The gearbox is placed well, and shifts very smoothly. I beleive it does 0-60 in around 7.5 seconds. The car uses it's torque well, and you can ease into traffic comfortably on the highway in 4th gear, you can use 3rd if you want to fly. The biggest thing I didn't like was the "short" 1st gear, I know it's made for torque but to me, it's very quick and short. I was also surprised by how soft the clutch was. My mom's 2000 v6 camry 5spd (1% made) has a grabbier clutch then the tC even though it has 39,000 miles. It makes the tC a very driveable car. I haven't dropped the clutch yet and have no plans too:). Just yesterday, I was going 27 mph in a 55 and dropped it to 2nd and shifted at around 5600 rpm and hit 75. To be honest, this car is no slouch and actually feels very quick. It would give my n/a mr2 a run for it's money...but only in a straight line.
Like I said, the seats don't offer enough lateral support for the spirited driving occasions. While driving the car in a curvy back road, you can tell it has body roll, but it also doesn't really give in to it badly either. I was quite impressed given the weight of the car and the lack of rollbars. I did get the back end to slide out a bit (and the whole car to slide) while turning a sweeping curve at about 25 mph (I live in a small town with lots of back roads) and but the tires caught and planted the car straight again. The truth is this is no canyon carver, but it does handle quite well for a sporty coupe.

All in all, it's a very perfect car for my g/f. It's good on gas (about 24 mpg city/hw), 87/89 cheap gas too. It's quick and somewhat agile, but also has enough features to blow away any same price competition. And it looks very good while doing it.

If I were to ever get a tC, it would NEED to have a better drivers seat for lat. support, and sway/roll bars. I thought about springs, but I assume the bars would suffice, plus the roadnoise isn't to bad on bumps.

Just for more info, we test drove and looked at a 05 corolla s 5spd. It was a LOT slower and very "boring" compared to the tC's drive. Also, to get a similarly equipped rolla, we would've spent almost 18000, 15000 more. We also looked at a 2005 celica but at almost 19000 base price and not as loaded as the tC, we didn't even test drive it. Plus, insurance and cargo room would've taken a hit. Though the rolla gets 31/37 mpg and the celi 30/35 was the only "bad" side of the tC.

All in all, a great buy and a really nice car. I read another review and the guy asked the other riders how much they thought the car was, the lowest was almost 20G, honestly a great buy! My g/f loves this car, oh she said hi to the board earlier while I was writing the review.

gpmarzan

Anonymous":1c1no2d1 said:
Cumon, you know what I mean. If my g/f and I raced 0-60 or 1/4, I would win in both the tC and the AT. I'm just a quick shifter than her, but if you put her in a turbo mr2 against the tC or the all-trac (stock vs stock), I'm sure she would win everytime.

dude, im comparing the cars specs, not whos quicker at shifting and he who is quicker would win. im comparing two cars. thats all. no need to go all out with other things like 'if my gf was driving an mr2 turbo, im sure she would win against the tc and alltrac.' or 'i would win in both the tC and the AT. im just a quick shifter than her.' dude, where did that come from? the point youre making isnt really irrelevant to this topic. i havent yet to stretch out the Tc's potential so i dont really have an idea of how quick it is and thats why i posted this. yes i know it has less hp than my alltrac, but hows the gearing? that could make a whole lot of difference. and didnt i say this was all in fun? and im not hating on the tc or anything. and its not like im dying to smoke a Tc. regardless if its quicker or slower than my alltrac, i would get one if i could afford it. cheers.

A

Anonymous

No hard feelings, what I was referring to was the "it's always a drivers race". I don't think so in the broad term, but in these two cars, yes it is.

yettegog

i think it's already been established, but here's a testimonial:

an aquaintance/friend of mine, just got a Tc.

we raced a few days ago, from a stop, rolling, straight roads, back roads. On a straight road, AWD + ct26 short spooling time owns, and on a backroad, it still wasn't much competition with my 14 year old oem struts.

Hands-down opinion: if you know how to drive, a stock alltrac would win against a Tc with your clone driving it anytime, all the time.

BTW: I've got gutted cats, 2.5" all the way back, and a jdm engine (even though it was stated earlier that it doesn't matter w/a USDM harness) w/a spec stage 2 clutch. He's got the exhaust package, intake, basics.