Interested and eager to do autoX. LF info

underscore

Only with a good driver though. A noob just needs suspension that isn't worn out and tires that aren't junk. Toss me on an AutoX course with my car set up the way it is now with the BC Racing coils, then send me out in the same car with whatever high end shock/spring setup you can think of and there's not going to be any significant difference in times. Do the same with a good driver and you'll get a difference, but again with AutoX it won't be massive.

Bear in mind AutoX is generally meant to be cheap, I doubt anyone aside from the very top drivers will be throwing a $5000 suspension setup into a car just for AutoX.

Mafix

Good driver vs bad driver in the same car. 90%.
I've seen race prepped cats loose to suburbans (yes autox, it happens)
I've seen great drivers use their beater instead and sell the race car
I've seen cars you'd never expect to be on top of pax there.
I've seen cobras raw time faster than karts (mind blown, cheater ass factory five)

The biggest difference is the driver. Plain and simple. The hardest nut to tighten is behind the steering wheel.

If the human factor wasn't in the mix, that changes everything.

TRDTurko

Mafix":3fllygj6 said:
With what mike said, autocross is 90% driver, 5%tires, 5 percent car.

IMO tires are worth way more than 5%. a car with crappy all seasons will be miles slower than the same car with proper performance summer or race tires no matter who the driver is. A better driver will have less of a gap in times but when winning means 10ths of a second, whole seconds because of crap tires will put you way down in the order. That being said though I think its best to learn on whatever tires you have because you will learn faster with the tires amplifying your mistakes and not compensating for them.

I'd say its more like 80% driver, 15% tires, 5% car. First thing we always tell newbies locally is if you are going to put money into anything other than your own driving, get tires before doing anything else.

underscore

lumbercis":korllhk9 said:
underscore":korllhk9 said:
According to one guys opinion, yes.

Yeah, the one guy with the DATA. I'll take that over 100 forum bro's opinions. :smokes:

What data? The guy shows a couple dynos of his preferred brands but doesn't bother to post up any of the proof of his claims against other brands, nor does he bother to specify which brands/models had which faults. That's hardly useful data.

Meenya

TRDTurko":28ol38nr said:
Mafix":28ol38nr said:
With what mike said, autocross is 90% driver, 5%tires, 5 percent car.

IMO tires are worth way more than 5%. a car with crappy all seasons will be miles slower than the same car with proper performance summer or race tires no matter who the driver is. A better driver will have less of a gap in times but when winning means 10ths of a second, whole seconds because of crap tires will put you way down in the order. That being said though I think its best to learn on whatever tires you have because you will learn faster with the tires amplifying your mistakes and not compensating for them.

I'd say its more like 80% driver, 15% tires, 5% car. First thing we always tell newbies locally is if you are going to put money into anything other than your own driving, get tires before doing anything else.

+1