RSX Type S

Road race, Auto X, or the Drag Strip

RSX Type S

Postby four twenty » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:02 am

I had a brief run-in with a type-s. This dude kept provoking me by speeding up and that deal where they slow back down to wait for you to take their bait. I wouldn't take his bait so he got behind me and started tailgating me like a dumb drunk.

Moments later, I'm pulling up to a stoplight and ofcourse he rapidly whips his car over to the opposing lane. I assumed it would be a pretty even run (the RSX Type S is supposed to be a 14.8-15.5 second car) and there wasn't much traffic or cops in sight so I went for it. I semi-bogged off the line but by the end of 3rd gear, it was close-he had a nose on me. I shifted to 4th and reeled him in rather quickly. By the time I had about a car and a half on him, he shut it down to the point where he could have easily made the next light but decided to stay behind.

My car is moderately modified (k&N drop-in filter, gutted cat, custom exhaust, MBC set @ approx. 12-13 p.s.i., and BOV) but I expected to lose.

I'm about 99.7% sure that the Acura was bone stock; they're not exactly sleds. That VTEC seemed pretty effective in the flesh.

Has anyone else raced one?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Brent
1989 ST165
Hermosa Beach, CA
four twenty
Club Member

Postby four twenty » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:04 am

I forgot to mention that I've also got an HKS FCD.
Brent
1989 ST165
Hermosa Beach, CA
four twenty
Club Member

Re: RSX Type S

Postby Conan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:36 am

four twenty wrote:I'm about 99.7% sure that the Acura was bone stock; they're not exactly sleds. That VTEC seemed pretty effective in the flesh.

Has anyone else raced one?

Nothing magical, the rsx has more HP at the wheels plus it's lighter.
When in doubt - increase boost.
Conan
Established Member

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:22 am

Nothing magical, the rsx has more HP at the wheels plus it's lighter.

I know they're lighter but at best they're pushing 155-165 hp to the front wheels. With my mods, I doubt a stock RSX type-s has more ponies to the wheels.

I can't believe nobody else has raced one of these things-I mean they're everywhere.

Postby four twenty » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:25 am

Oh, I forgot to log in. That last post was mine.
Brent
1989 ST165
Hermosa Beach, CA
four twenty
Club Member

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 10:17 am

Im pretty sure Acura RS-X Type S is the same as Integra Type R (JDM/Euro/Aus DM) and depending on what model year those things can be real quick...up to a certain point. I used to have a Subaru Legacy GT which was a wee bit faster than the GT-FOur and when i raced a DC2 Type R it had me to 100km and even then, it wasn't going to be an easy kill...

DOn't underestimate them. Stock for stock i'd say they would win in the dry against a 165/185.

my 2 psi

Postby supermancelicagt4 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:13 am

I ran agianst my cusins type-s with my 91 AT. It was a good race. I was surprised it kepted up with me til third gear then I slowly pulled away hittin 120mph on the freeway. Type-s no joke! :D .

I also ran agianst my uncle's EVO. WOW. I don't even want to say. Lets say I didn't even shift to third:doh:
supermancelicagt4
Club Member

Postby ChrisD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:38 pm

I have raced many on the track. Usually beat them by at least 1-1.5 seconds.
1988 ST165
1994 ST205 WRC
ChrisD
Established Member

Postby NemesisGT-2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:13 pm

I raced my buddy's type S in my GT. This was the first time I'd been to a strip in 2 years and I sucked coming off the line. He ended up beating me by a few tenths, but he only was hitting 98-99 mph at the traps where I was over 100. His car is modded pretty well, it puts down ~220 whp, where I'm around 230, but I have 2X the torque :D .
Ben
1991 Celica All-Trac
1992 Celica GT w/1990 3S-GTE
NemesisGT-2
Club Member

Postby jprine01 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:22 pm

Reminds me of when i bullied a rsx-s on the highway. I was cruising home from carbondale to chicago on 57 going about 90. He came from behind going fast and tried to pass me about 20 times, every time i would hit the gas and blow him a block back. He would try to race but his car couldnt really go faster then 120 and by that time i was doing 140. I would then slow down to like 65mph in the left lane for a while (Friend was following me in his *slow* car) then when i seen him comming up to pass me on the right going like 90+ I would wait until he is right next to me then floor it in 3rd, i would catch up in speed before he was even a car length infront of me, then shoot past him. This went on for like 2 hours strait, it made the long ride fun for both of us I think. My passanger thought it was funny anyway. This was in my supra my alltrac *was* slow as hell above 100.
jprine01
Established Member

Return to Racing Chat