against a wrx..

Road race, Auto X, or the Drag Strip

Postby theUNYTEDone » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:25 am

Gary wrote:Is the 3SGTE head gasket really weak?
Jeff Fazio was pushing 440 rwhp @ 22 psi (MR2) on stock 200k miles engine.
That engine have seen 28 psi and 140+ mph in 1/4.
So, compare that to the HG on 7mgte.
Any way, headgasket should be the weakest point in your engine.

Al this is a good read:
http://gtfour.ca/howtoblowyourengine.html

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

i wasn't sure as to HOW reliable everything was. apparently the HG is quite sturdy. and i suppose if the stocker is so good, then you should have internals able to amount up to it, in terms of power, no?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God

Postby Maloy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:07 pm

theUNYTEDone wrote:
Maloy wrote:Those dodge omni's are light and fast, not much of a comparison for an all-trac out of the box. My good buddy has a shelby charger turbo, its very fast. Is yours a shelby?
Anyway i took down a few wrx's in my st165 before i spun a rod bearing. The only time i ever tried was off the line though. It was real easy to launch her at around 5k. I left the wrx's at the light and they never caught up. heres the mods i had that i can remember off the top of my head

Ported and polished head/intake manifold
60-1 trim ct-26
MBC ball and spring type set at 10psi
ACT heavy duty clutch
Straight cold air intake
battery in boot
gutted cats
audi radiator for my intercooler pump running constantly
T-vis delete
paxton FPR
seems like im forgetting some things, probably unimportant/irrelevent

Maloy, did you notice any issues with having your T-VIS gone?

and @ omnivore,our limiting factor is the headgasket, and our internals, wastegate and the stock turbo itself.

Its hard to say because the car came without T-Vis, but it seemed to have real good low end power. It used to be Rob Files car (well known over at mr2oc.com) and he did that mod. The head and manifold was pretty bored out. I can take pics of it as its not on the car right now if anyone is that interested.
Everyone always talks about how laggy the 60-1 trim is but it seemed fine to me, i hit 10psi by at least 3500rpm.
88 white st165 (stripped down on jack stands)
86 AE86 corolla gt-s coupe
Maloy
Club Member

Postby theUNYTEDone » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:21 am

cool, pics seem to be in order most defintiely!
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God

Postby Maloy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Wow, my bad. I forgot to post pics. My camera broke so i had to use my cell phone to take some pretty low quality pics. You should still be able to get the idea.

The ported intake manifold is on the right, its pretty hard to see with this pics but the one on the right has much larger ports.

Yet another crappy pic, here is the intake side of my cylinder head.

this one turned out a little better

and my hogged out ct-26

It almost makes me wonder what the guy who did all this to the engine was thinking. Everything iv read tells me there was no reason for all the porting that was done especially at the power levels i was at. The fuel system was not upgraded at all except for the paxton FPR. Although i havent opened the gas tank up but i doubt it has a supra or walbro pump because the injectors were still 440cc. Even with all this said i know that the guy who owned it is well know for being very knowledgable (dont mind the spelling) over at mr2oc.com. It all just seems like an @ss backwards way of getting power.
Maloy
Club Member

Postby Razzo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:55 pm

Maloy wrote:
theUNYTEDone wrote:
Maloy wrote:Those dodge omni's are light and fast, not much of a comparison for an all-trac out of the box. My good buddy has a shelby charger turbo, its very fast. Is yours a shelby?
Anyway i took down a few wrx's in my st165 before i spun a rod bearing. The only time i ever tried was off the line though. It was real easy to launch her at around 5k. I left the wrx's at the light and they never caught up. heres the mods i had that i can remember off the top of my head

60-1 trim ct-26
ACT heavy duty clutch
Straight cold air intake
battery in boot
gutted cats
T-vis delete
paxton FPR

and @ omnivore,our limiting factor is the headgasket, and our internals, wastegate and the stock turbo itself.

Its hard to say because the car came without T-Vis, but it seemed to have real good low end power. It used to be Rob Files car (well known over at mr2oc.com) and he did that mod. The head and manifold was pretty bored out. I can take pics of it as its not on the car right now if anyone is that interested.
Everyone always talks about how laggy the 60-1 trim is but it seemed fine to me, i hit 10psi by at least 3500rpm.

well a 60-1 trim is pretty laggy, if you look into the gt series turbos, the gt28r, is fully spooled at what 2500rpms, with a stock wastegate running around 14psi.so 14psi at 2500rpms, heck thats what my ct-26 does and its small compared to the gt28r+++ models
Razzo
Club Member

Postby Razzo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:55 pm

sorry double post. stuiped of me, guess thats what happends when you work 16 hours then get totally ripped with your boss. Heck itleast he pitched on the whole sess :D
Razzo
Club Member

Postby SuperWhite92 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:57 am

Razzo wrote:
Maloy wrote:
theUNYTEDone wrote:

60-1 trim ct-26
ACT heavy duty clutch
Straight cold air intake
battery in boot
gutted cats
T-vis delete
paxton FPR

well a 60-1 trim is pretty laggy, if you look into the gt series turbos, the gt28r, is fully spooled at what 2500rpms, with a stock wastegate running around 14psi.so 14psi at 2500rpms, heck thats what my ct-26 does and its small compared to the gt28r+++ models

Agreed. I'm pulling a full 18psi by around 3200rpm with a 46 Trim Upgrade (Pre CT27, trust me). If you're only getting 10psi boost at 3500rpm with a CT26, it's horribly imbalanced with a too-large compressor wheel. That's not much spool for such a bitch turbo.
Shaun
My 1992 Alltrac is for sale again.
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Postby Maloy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:49 pm

Wow 18psi at 3200 rpm is pretty impressive. That all puts it into perspective. Im thinking more and more of getting a SB kit pretty soon. Would a stroker motor do much better of a job at spooling a 50 trim, then a normal 3s? Or should i just go ahead and get the 46?
Maloy
Club Member

Postby SuperWhite92 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:32 pm

Maloy wrote:Wow 18psi at 3200 rpm is pretty impressive. That all puts it into perspective. Im thinking more and more of getting a SB kit pretty soon. Would a stroker motor do much better of a job at spooling a 50 trim, then a normal 3s? Or should i just go ahead and get the 46?

It depends on what kind of power you're looking at. Either would work well. As far as a stroker goes, it will shift the entire powerband down in the RPM range, which will increase spool time a little bit, but unless you build the head to help it flow, a stroker will also run out of power sooner than a non-stroker. I wouldn't bother unless you also have some money to throw at the head.
Shaun
My 1992 Alltrac is for sale again.
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Postby Maloy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:49 pm

I was planning on throwing probably 2k into the top end, maybe some 264 cams. Im trying to aim more at autocross more then anything so i want low end power for sure. I already have a 2nd gen short block and a camry 5s crank, i still need to get pistons and rods and all the hardware.
I just know that everyone suggests the 46 trim but iv never heard how well the 50 spools on a stroker.
Maloy
Club Member

Previous

Return to Racing Chat