against a wrx..

Road race, Auto X, or the Drag Strip

Postby C-dubb » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:50 am

erm dud i did mean a bicycle hahahaha. okay. yeah but seriousley. hhahahaaha i can't stop laughing oh shit...i just crapped my f*%*ing pants. haha yeah a bicycle.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
Image
User avatar
C-dubb
Club Member
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:24 am
Location: Holland, MI

Postby Kyoto » Fri May 05, 2006 11:53 pm

I beat a modded MY98 the other week convicingly, then i got in his car and drove it. Even though im faster, his car was comprehensively better in terms of overall feel. The painful reality is you can make any car go faster, but handling traits (in particular the inherent fucking vague steering our cars have) aren't as simple to straighten out...
Tim // Melbourne, Australia

1986 ST165. 152,000km on chassis
ST205 WRC engine / IC system / rear LSD with 82,000km
Blitz K1-380V
Apexi Power FC
Aussie 3" dump pipe to 3" catback system
TWM short shifter.
Whiteline front strut brace
User avatar
Kyoto
Club Member
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:15 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby omgitsroy326 » Sat May 06, 2006 12:58 am

i don't our cars handle that bad....
FOR SALE>> CHECK FOR SALE FORUM (IS350)
omgitsroy326
Established Member
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:14 am
Location: Los angeles

Postby Kyoto » Sat May 20, 2006 10:13 am

Comparing them to what? Youre right, 165's/185's don't handle TOO bad, but then again they don't handle that good OUT OF THE BOX in comparison to some of their immediate competition of the same era. TTE really only sorted all the niggling issues out on the 205s. ie aerodynamics, airflow properties, heat dissipation (bigger pre-rads, front grill, water ij., and I/C spray bars), adequate rim/tyre size, and chassis refinement. But thats what makes 165's/185's good project cars - they're inherently underrated and obscure to boot. :)
Tim // Melbourne, Australia

1986 ST165. 152,000km on chassis
ST205 WRC engine / IC system / rear LSD with 82,000km
Blitz K1-380V
Apexi Power FC
Aussie 3" dump pipe to 3" catback system
TWM short shifter.
Whiteline front strut brace
User avatar
Kyoto
Club Member
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:15 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby SuperWhite92 » Sat May 20, 2006 4:56 pm

Kyoto wrote:Comparing them to what? Youre right, 165's/185's don't handle TOO bad, but then again they don't handle that good OUT OF THE BOX in comparison to some of their immediate competition of the same era. TTE really only sorted all the niggling issues out on the 205s. ie aerodynamics, airflow properties, heat dissipation (bigger pre-rads, front grill, water ij., and I/C spray bars), adequate rim/tyre size, and chassis refinement. But thats what makes 165's/185's good project cars - they're inherently underrated and obscure to boot. :)


I'll agree the don't handle great, but the era of the 165/185 didn't have much competition if you're comparing to cars of that exact era.

The EVO came about at the very end of the 185 era, and subaru's competition consisted of legacies (liberty's on your side of the world, IIRC). The Galant VR-4 handled like crud with 4 wheels and the legacies certainly were nothing astounding. I'd say the 185 was right at home.

stepping back to the 165 era, we still had the Galant VR-4 to compete with, which handles better compared to the 165 (at least the two I've driven). At this point, Subaru was still making Alyclone's (XT6's in the US). These were amazingly unremarkable.

When the ST205 came about in '94, the EVO was still being sorted out, the WRX's were starting to pick up some footing, and all was well. Still healthy competition, IMO. It wasn't until later years that I feel the competition surpassed the GT-Four's prowess, and it was due to the fact toyota didn't change the GT-Four enough to keep with the times.
Shaun
Image
My 1992 Alltrac is for sale again.
User avatar
SuperWhite92
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:29 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Postby theUNYTEDone » Mon May 29, 2006 10:03 am

SuperWhite92 wrote:My mods consist of: MBC@14.7psi, ARC TMIC, KO DP, 46 Trim CT26, and I can take out any WRX that hasn't yet recieved a bigger turbo.


NICE! i should be able to take them out upon the purchase of an MBC.

forgive me for this ultra-newbish question, but do EMS' controll boost, or just fuel stuff?
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
User avatar
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm
Location: Kamo'ili'ili Town

Postby d1alltrac » Mon May 29, 2006 12:54 pm

you can get an ems to control anything you want
Patrick R.

88 ST165 x2
92 MR2 turbo
02 330i
User avatar
d1alltrac
Established Member
 
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:45 pm
Location: DFW, TX

Postby omnivore » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:08 am

I hate reading this. At 12 psi, an AT won't even hang with a WRX? That's a disappointment to me, seeing as I am looking into buying one. My current car (Dodge Omni Turbo) eats WRX's alive. They'll get me acrss an intersection, but once I am 1/2 way tru 2nd, they are reeled back in, and by 3rd, they are diappearing behind me.

Also, I keep hearing that 15-16 psi is the max for these cars. Is that because of the fuel system's limitaions, or the turbo's? I know my own car's stock Garrett turbo can pound out over 25 psi, and I have been running it at 17-18 psi for years...the 1st 3 of which I surged the hell out of it with no BOV (turbo dodge intercooled cars didn't come with BOV's till '90), then finally I added a TurboXS one.
Dodge Omni
13.1 @ 105.8 MPH
User avatar
omnivore
Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Brantford,ONT,canada

Postby Maloy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:56 pm

Those dodge omni's are light and fast, not much of a comparison for an all-trac out of the box. My good buddy has a shelby charger turbo, its very fast. Is yours a shelby?
Anyway i took down a few wrx's in my st165 before i spun a rod bearing. The only time i ever tried was off the line though. It was real easy to launch her at around 5k. I left the wrx's at the light and they never caught up. heres the mods i had that i can remember off the top of my head

Ported and polished head/intake manifold
60-1 trim ct-26
MBC ball and spring type set at 10psi
ACT heavy duty clutch
Straight cold air intake
battery in boot
gutted cats
audi radiator for my intercooler pump running constantly
T-vis delete
paxton FPR
seems like im forgetting some things, probably unimportant/irrelevent
88 white st165 (stripped down on jack stands)
86 AE86 corolla gt-s coupe
Image
Maloy
Club Member
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:20 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby theUNYTEDone » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:21 am

Maloy wrote:Those dodge omni's are light and fast, not much of a comparison for an all-trac out of the box. My good buddy has a shelby charger turbo, its very fast. Is yours a shelby?
Anyway i took down a few wrx's in my st165 before i spun a rod bearing. The only time i ever tried was off the line though. It was real easy to launch her at around 5k. I left the wrx's at the light and they never caught up. heres the mods i had that i can remember off the top of my head

Ported and polished head/intake manifold
60-1 trim ct-26
MBC ball and spring type set at 10psi
ACT heavy duty clutch
Straight cold air intake
battery in boot
gutted cats
audi radiator for my intercooler pump running constantly
T-vis delete
paxton FPR
seems like im forgetting some things, probably unimportant/irrelevent


Maloy, did you notice any issues with having your T-VIS gone?

and @ omnivore,our limiting factor is the headgasket, and our internals, wastegate and the stock turbo itself.
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
User avatar
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm
Location: Kamo'ili'ili Town

Postby omnivore » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:53 am

O ringing may be an easy answer to HG failure, no?
And do you mean the stock internals (pistons/rods) aren't capable of reliably hanging in there at 12 seconds or faster?
I already assumed the turbo was a weak point....maybe the Greddy upgrade would be a good one, with a ported exh. manifold, and FMIC?

Also, I don't know enough about MAF cars-all my turbo cars have been speed density so far.
How does one go about adding fuel to the MAF tuned cars when running 15-20 psi, thru an upgraded turbo?
Dodge Omni
13.1 @ 105.8 MPH
User avatar
omnivore
Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Brantford,ONT,canada

Postby theUNYTEDone » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:46 am

omnivore wrote:O ringing may be an easy answer to HG failure, no?
And do you mean the stock internals (pistons/rods) aren't capable of reliably hanging in there at 12 seconds or faster?
I already assumed the turbo was a weak point....maybe the Greddy upgrade would be a good one, with a ported exh. manifold, and FMIC?

Also, I don't know enough about MAF cars-all my turbo cars have been speed density so far.
How does one go about adding fuel to the MAF tuned cars when running 15-20 psi, thru an upgraded turbo?


bigger injectors/bigger flowing fuel pump.

turbo upgrades/fmic usually go hand in hand. as far as our stock all trac internals go, not too sure how much HP they're good for.

theres much debate about manifolds here. apparently the stocker is good for about 400hp, and i've not seen dyno proof that a tubular one is worth any horsepower. there are of course, heads that butt over the matter. i'm just looking for someone to have their tubular manifold on and notice SOME gain, with SOME longivity coming out of that manifold so i can put mine in. hehe. it's shiny!
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
User avatar
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm
Location: Kamo'ili'ili Town

Postby Razzo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:31 am

there have been a couple mr2s that put down around 300-350rwhp so my guess is around 400 at the crank, which is about 275awhp. I'm not to sure what the pistons can handle thou. I really have no idea what happends when you push the 3sgte to its limits, anybody? what causes all the failure?
Razzo
Club Member
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:29 am
Location: Calgary, AB

Postby Gary » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:37 pm

Is the 3SGTE head gasket really weak?
Jeff Fazio was pushing 440 rwhp @ 22 psi (MR2) on stock 200k miles engine.
That engine have seen 28 psi and 140+ mph in 1/4.
So, compare that to the HG on 7mgte.
Any way, headgasket should be the weakest point in your engine.

Al this is a good read:
http://gtfour.ca/howtoblowyourengine.html
93 ST185
Image
Gary
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6430
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:03 pm
Location: Carolina

Postby d1alltrac » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:34 am

the head gasket weakness can easily be solved with a cometic, TTE, or HKS MHG.

and the weak-point for the internals is the pistons, they are cast but the stock crank and rods are forged.
Patrick R.

88 ST165 x2
92 MR2 turbo
02 330i
User avatar
d1alltrac
Established Member
 
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:45 pm
Location: DFW, TX

PreviousNext

Return to Racing Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest