Rally skidplate/s for ST165

Road race, Auto X, or the Drag Strip

Rally skidplate/s for ST165

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:11 pm

A question for those of you who rally your ST165's:

I have a ST162 ('86 GT-S) which I intend to use for gravel TSD rallies. Is there any company that makes skidplates for your cars? If no, then what kind of skidplates do you guys use and I would really appreciate it if someone could post or email me a dimensioned sketch of your skidplates.

fulcrumdriver at hotmail dot com

Thanks in advance.

Richard
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!

Postby yoursymphonyinc » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:10 pm

Well, I personally dont have one... yet... but i know of one guy who does. he made it cheaply himself and it worked Really well i thought. his name on here is PreGrid, in oregon. might try giving him a PM
Red '88 ST165: Sold
yoursymphonyinc
Club Member

Postby fulcrums » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:36 am

yoursymphonyinc wrote:Well, I personally dont have one... yet... but i know of one guy who does. he made it cheaply himself and it worked Really well i thought. his name on here is PreGrid, in oregon. might try giving him a PM

Thanks Jim. I have PM'ed him. :)
fulcrums

HTPE is the way to Go!!!

Postby PreGrid » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:10 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply... Been REALLY busy.

The plate I built was of HDPE (High-Density Poly-Ethylene) that I templated and installed. The front "plate" is 5/8 thick and covers from the front bumper to the cross member and the rear plate is 1/4 inch and buttons up the rest of the underside all the way back and over the rear diff.

The stuff is SUPER strong, has an incredibly high burn/melt (flash) point. It it SLICK which means unlike aluminum or steel, it takes a solid hit and slides over the rock or whatever and doesn't DENT. Metal will leave an impression that creates a bigger "gotcha" for the next rock... and so on... and so on... HDPE allow you to slide over rocks, deep gravel or whatever over and over again with no major remnant damage.

It is easily cut with a Jig Saw (wear goggles as if flings alot of crap).

You will need to add a few mount points to the underside of the chassis to which you will bolt the HTPE.

These plates made it through the Oregon Trail Pro Rally with stock springs on the car (meaning I bottomed out ALOT) without denting or damaging a single thing underneath.

I LOVE the stuff!!!!

Scott@pregrid.com
If you Race, you need Sponsors
If you need Sponsors...
You need PreGrid
www.pregrid.com
Last edited by PreGrid on Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreGrid
Club Member

Postby d1alltrac » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:36 pm

where can we get this HTPE stuff? and do you have any pics of your plates?

TIA
Patrick R.

88 ST165 x2
92 MR2 turbo
02 330i
d1alltrac
Established Member

Where to buy...

Postby PreGrid » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:47 pm

I got mine at a place called Tap Plastics in Portland but just about any industrial plastics counter should have it. It comes in many different colors if memory serves and in different thicknesses, strengths and temp ratings.

I got the opaque/white stuff as it seemes to be the strongest and hold the highest temp ratings.

I don't actually have any pics of the plates under the car... I guess whenever I'm under there, I don't have a camera handy. LOL!!!

I do need to get some pics though. Maybe I can borrow a firend's lift and take a few snap shots here soon.

JUST FOR CLARITY - This stuff is called HDPE or High Density Poly Ethylene... not Eurathane as I mistated before. Sorry :)

Scott
-------
www.pregrid.com
Last edited by PreGrid on Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreGrid
Club Member

Postby fulcrums » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:28 am

Thank you Scott! :)
fulcrums

Postby Rally Guy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:14 pm

I'll second the UHMWPE recommendation. Just built one this morning for my GT4. Ran one on my stage rally car for winter evnets until moving to aluminum for gravel stage rallies.

The GT4 will only do TSD's (But they are Drivex - so pretty quick - we've been airborne) and it should do fine.

RK
1993 ST185
1990 Porsche 944S2
2006 BMW 330xi
Rally Guy
Club Member

Re: Where to buy...

Postby tweekgt4 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:00 am

think you can snap some pics next time your car is lifted?

PreGrid wrote:I got mine at a place called Tap Plastics in Portland but just about any industrial plastics counter should have it. It comes in many different colors if memory serves and in different thicknesses, strengths and temp ratings.

I got the opaque/white stuff as it seemes to be the strongest and hold the highest temp ratings.

I don't actually have any pics of the plates under the car... I guess whenever I'm under there, I don't have a camera handy. LOL!!!

I do need to get some pics though. Maybe I can borrow a firend's lift and take a few snap shots here soon.

JUST FOR CLARITY - This stuff is called HDPE or High Density Poly Ethylene... not Eurathane as I mistated before. Sorry :)

Scott
-------
www.pregrid.com
1999 Volvo V70R, Laser Blue
2001 BMW M5, Titanium Silver
ex-1991 MR2 Turbo, ex-1991 Toyota ST185, ex-1992 Nissan Sil-240sx KA24DET, ex-1994 Mazda Miata M-Edition JRSC
http://www.brsf.net
tweekgt4
Club Member

Postby eric thompson » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:59 pm

UNFORTUNATELY, scott sold his car :cry: . it was on ebay a while back. however, i think james unger has the same setup.
ST165-PARTS-RED
ST165-SCCA STU ROADRACING-(RALLISPEC'S ST165)
NEED ONE MORE FOR STREET:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-RCuV_Hmqk (ITS miata 6spd,4.78 rear, shitloads of fun!! multiple wins and track records in 2014)
eric thompson
Club Member

Postby tweekgt4 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:22 pm

i found the HDPE sheets at Tap Platics...

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=336&

i just wanted to se what it looked like under the car. so, if anyone has pics or any alltrac/gt4 skidplates, that would be great.

:)
1999 Volvo V70R, Laser Blue
2001 BMW M5, Titanium Silver
ex-1991 MR2 Turbo, ex-1991 Toyota ST185, ex-1992 Nissan Sil-240sx KA24DET, ex-1994 Mazda Miata M-Edition JRSC
http://www.brsf.net
tweekgt4
Club Member

Return to Racing Chat