volvo 850R

furpo

so i dont usually race but since we where on a straight bit of road at midnight i thought since the old man in volvo beside me took off from the lights i should have a go.

the car was a turbo volvo 240hp front wheel drive version

he got a head start on me because i did not even think he was going to have a go so by the time i changed into second he had about two car lengths on me. with three people in the car i had passed him by about a car length when it was time to change into third which was the point we both backed off.

i didn't think that was too bad for a near standard st185

roger

C-dubb

is that the 5 cylinder turbo vovlo? did the old man have a handlebar mustache? that would be cool if he did.

furpo

yep, 5 cylinder. i think they are 2.3L

no handle bars on him, would have been funny though.

roger

Kyoto

VOlvo are quickly ridding themselves of the "old man" image and releasing some pretty cool luxo performance oriented cars. The AWD turbo ones have been shown to be a sound platform for modding.

EVOLVE cars in the US has an association with Volvo USA and has built two demo cars, one with 336kw atw and another with 373 kw atw. Look very tough. The more powerful one has 12 piston front brakes that are bigger than a 16" inch rim in diameter! Shown is a closeup of the brakes but bear in mind the rims on the car are 19's!

view_photo.php

view_photo.php

acylon

Sweet, thanks for the pics! I always have a soft spot for volvo's. Now that they make AWD cars I may have to get one in a few years.

Kyoto

Ya. Huge potential. Just needs money. Japc ars will always be cheaper and just as well engineered but they lack that prestige factor.

furpo

dam thats one cool volvo.

still the problem is the same as most cars from europe and also the gt4 is that they are too heavy.

roger

Kyoto

Your right in general and I totally get what your saying but in this case it aint really justified. Weight primarily affects suspension, braking, and acceleration. When you have...

1) 373kw
2) 16" brakes
3) F1 style tuned suspension

...weight suddenly doesn't seem like much of an issue. Im betting in fact that at speed the solidity it would afford you would be reassuring!

furpo

weight effects the amout of acceleration forces your car can generate. a heavier car will generate less acceleration force for a given tyre than a lighter one. this is a mathmatical certainty.

go read herb adams book if you do not beleive me. chapter one covers this.

there is a reason why race cars are built light.

roger

Kyoto

Thanks Professor! :wink:

You missed my point totally. I acknowledged all of what you said and more. Read my post again if you want but its a fairly irrelevant point to start with. :shrug:

furpo

sorry about that.

and yes most cars dont have the three points you stated above so the volvo will drill most cars even if it is really over weight. and yes i would rather be in a prang in a volvo than a honda.

roger

W4R_M4ST3R

raced yesterday a volvo 850 T5 turbo (225hp)

that car is really fast, and that's not that much heavy (1450kg) so it's almost the same weight as mine st165.

i had already raced him but with stock boost in a 1km straight line where we do the so called streetracing, and he used to win by a 3 car lenght.

now with 0,9bar peak (0,8bar stable) its very close, from the almost standing start (we start at low speed) it's neck to neck and then in my 3rd gear i'm able to pass him and win but only by less than a car margin

the volvo is really fast, but mine is not bad either :)

A

Anonymous

yea i own a volvo 850r. It comes stock with 250 horspower and i have myne pumpin out about 300. (cold air intake and uprgraded ecu strut bar 3 inch exhaust) Killed a 03 mustang gt, Beat a 04 musatng gt, Beat all ricers, So far i have only lost to a bmw 850csi witch has a v12, and a c6 corvette. lol they killed me. But i love the look on peoples faces when there like WOOO thats a VOLVO???

Celi-GT4

New volvo's are great. Infact I blame the older T4 or T5 (1997) on getting me into the turbo cars. I worked for a local toyota Volvo dealer and got to drive cars to a big parking lot sale the have in CO. I drove that thing following the lotmanager who drove like a crazed man. I was like holy crap this is sweet and fast.

5speedGT4

:D Gosh now i know which car im going to be looking at when i get out of college! a S40r AWD! loaded up with evolve parts. DAMN, hawt.