Would these wheels fit my alltrac

toyo1

I bought some winter wheels for my daily driver but according to the place i took it to they say they won't fit. So i would like to know if they would fit my alltrac. They are 5x100 17x7.5 offset 40
Thanks in advance to people that respond

nynoah75

Winter tires that are 17 in. If they really are winter tires they will SUCK. You need side wall when in snow. 17 in winter tires will slide like a hockey puck.

RIalltrac

they should fit, but the fronts will definately rub on hard turns, the rears might be real close to the strut housings as well.

edit: what size tires you going to run with these rims? is the car lowered at all?

TraviST185

I ran 17x8 Et. 38 for a while with no spacers and never had any rubing. As for 17" snows- We had to run 17" on the STi and they did quite well. Snow tire tech has come a long way in the last few years. Try Dunlop Graspic DS-2, a good cheap full out snow tire. 225-45-17

toyo1

I will be running 225-45-17 tires with those wheels
to the best of my knowledge the car is not lowered. I just don't want to see this set up i had for my daily driver to go to waste.
Thank you all for replying

RIalltrac

toyo1":320vimc5 said:
I will be running 225-45-17 tires with those wheels
to the best of my knowledge the car is not lowered. I just don't want to see this set up i had for my daily driver to go to waste.
Thank you all for replying

I see your from RI, so I can comment on the weather conditions versus your choice of tire. I hate to tell you, but a 45 sidewall on a 17 inch rim is going to suck in the snow. I have my stock rims for winter rims with like a 55 sidewall on them and even then sometimes its not enough. Granted I have 17's with 45 side walls and they're summer street tires, they totally blow in any type of snow like situation. I had to drive to north attleboro, ma on those tires when we got our first snow storm last year to switch my rims over (keep them stored at my parents house) and I must have spun out on every turn. Totally out of control. Personally I dont think you can go wrong with sticking with the stock 15's and a set of good snow tires.

GMan

Another AT in the North !

Side wall and tire choice matter but what about W I D T H ?

I had the stock sized 215/50 width all-season on my Celica,
it still sucked in deep snow. I'd suggest a dedicated set of
SNOW tires. I went narrower 205/55, I have even seen 195/60/15
on an AT before.

Thinner is better in deep stuff.

Regards;

Rick89GTS

For snow tires, I know that you have to go down one or two sizes in width but what's the advantage with a higher sidewall ratio, ie: 70 series better than 60 series? Height in the snow?!

___Scott___

GMan":3ouryzur said:
I have even seen 195/60/15 on an AT before.
My snow tires are 185/60/14s (should have been 185/65/14 but the dealer screwed up and it took me a while to notice.) Skinnies are good for snow and ice.

The soft sidewall is a compliance thing. You want to let the car move around a little more above the contact patch so little driver mistakes don't cause the tire to slide. Sliding friction is much lower than static friction, so you want to stay as far away from sliding as possible and a taller/softer sidewall will help. Also, lower tire pressure will help for the same reason. I normally run 38psi in my snow tires, but for ice autocross I drop the pressure down to about 30psi, and some people drop to around 8psi (which I would do too if I had an air tank to inflate them back up for the drive home.)