Carbon Fiber Rear Hatch st185

theUNYTEDone

beej":2gcui89h said:
Gurr":2gcui89h said:
They do make scratch resistant lexan....

yes....they call it plexi glass....lighter than normal glass!!!

or perhaps u could just get the fukker tinted

most GOOD tinting places tint from INSIDE the window, so it'll still scratch horribly on the outside.

Punisher

Heh.. when I get some time I'm going to make a fiberglass hatch.

You can use scratch resistant lexan and then what you do is put a static cling clear vinyl over that on the outside.. this will keep the plastic from getting scratched and it also peels right off.

Lexan is not street legal though because when it shatters it goes into huge deadly sharp chunks.. which is why cars use a safety glass.. so when it busts it goes into hundreds of tiny little pieces.

I've done lots of research on what to use in the hatch.. so once I get some time I'll make one up for my GT-S and see how it looks and what not and use a plastic for the window.

theUNYTEDone

is there a possibility to still run the stock safety glass with the CF hatch? i know the weight savings won't be as awesome as having the rear window be lexan, but hacing the CF instead of metal will still produce phenominal weight savings.

Punisher

Not really phenominal seeing as the whole assembly minus wiper motor weighs in at about 65lbs.. and 35 (give or take) of that being the glass... I forget the actual weight of the glass but it was more than the hatch itself.

With the fiberglass hatch I am working on it will be setup to use the factory glass as well as lexan and it could be made to be swap on the fly.

Toxygene

:twisted: Crazy thought but if the glass is the major part of the weight, could you reshape the hatch piece so that we could use the rear window from an MR2 or some other mid engined car that has a smaller rear window assembly?

In a weird way I bet that would be even more popular with the guys with regular Celica's as it would be kind of rice to them but functional for us. :shrug:

Punisher

I could do that, really wouldn't be to difficult.

Or just use lexan w/ a clear vinyl overlay to protect from scratches.

I think once I get this AE86 that i'm doing an engine swap on out of my garage I'll work on the hatches.. Few more days tops.

theUNYTEDone

Punisher":3v795r3u said:
I could do that, really wouldn't be to difficult.

Or just use lexan w/ a clear vinyl overlay to protect from scratches.

I think once I get this AE86 that i'm doing an engine swap on out of my garage I'll work on the hatches.. Few more days tops.

isn't it still street-illegal, though?
or are all of you making track machines?

Punisher

It's not street legal this is true.. however, I'm not worried about it... some of you may be and so the stock glass is the only option.

syko says

alltrac101":1am49chl said:
theUNYTEDone":1am49chl said:
...any news on this, pat?

Nope, fiber image is avoiding me

damn fiber image. just because the hoods were "difficult" to make. there are many willing paying customers. for the cf CS hood and cf hatch! anyway, i hope this idea goes through, if not fiber image, then somewhere else :shrug:

theUNYTEDone

god...a fiber hatch would help SO much..it's not even funny.
i remember having to hold up mine while Keoni switched out the shocks...thank goodness for even the HINGE!

GT4_CR

Rear hatch is just to damn heavy. Im thinking of plexi instead of this heavy glass. Wouldyou guys go for it?

theUNYTEDone

GT4_CR":1gul5wwl said:
Rear hatch is just to damn heavy. Im thinking of plexi instead of this heavy glass. Wouldyou guys go for it?

regular metal hatch with plexiglass?
sounds good...but too scratchable.
what's your plan for getting around that?

GT4_CR

theUNYTEDone":1eh0sj9y said:
GT4_CR":1eh0sj9y said:

regular metal hatch with plexiglass?
sounds good...but too scratchable.
what's your plan for getting around that?

Well I just think about it... I have my fiber Carlos Sainz hood so i took out some weight in the front. But the rear is quite heavy too. Plexi is just to cheap here and i would like to try it and see how it fits. Im worried about that scratch issue, but what the heck, I gotta put this pig into a weight program, and maybe balance the weight in the rear too.

alltracst185

any news on the carbon fiber hatch,i would be very interested no matter the cost.they make cf hatches for every hatch back car but ours. :shrug:

SuperWhite92

alltracst185":3ng82rsn said:
any news on the carbon fiber hatch,i would be very interested no matter the cost.they make cf hatches for every hatch back car but ours. :shrug:

Quite frankly, the market isn't big enough. I don't think you'll be getting much help from Cloak'n'Dagga though. They've pretty much got what they need already.

Toxygene

If it's an issue of finding a donor car... I have a Celica 1991 GT-S and a 1990 AllTrac. Plus I've seen JDM hatches on Ebay all the time. So maybe people could do JDM Carbon Fiber hatch as well. But really what's the only thing keeping this from becoming a reality. I heard VIS has finally made a US AllTrac Hood, (albeit the side vents are reversed) but maybe they could be persuaded to do a rear Carbon Hatch to go as well. And of course the more people we tell the better. I know Fiber Images was approached but maybe someone like VIS who I thought has more of an international market foothold could do this job.

darthripley

if you had enough people interested i don't see why Vis wouldn't do it.
i know they made c/f trunks for gen 4 camry's & that's an even smaller amount of people who want those then those who have ST18x's.

perhaps some people at celicatech with gen 5 hatch's might be interested too, if all the hatches are the same from 90-93 alltrac etc :shrug: