***** ST185 Front Wide Fenders *****

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

***** ST185 Front Wide Fenders *****

Postby roo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:25 am

What: Complete fiberglass replacement front wide fenders for the ST185. Should be around 30-40mm on each side. (I am still taking measurements but the will basically be made to be exactly as wide as the rear fenders)

Purpose: We all know that our rear fenders are wider as if our cars were rear wheel drive....and since we are AWD, for the best performance, reliability and to preserve our center diffs, we MUST run the same diameter and width on all 4 wheels on our cars. These fenders will allow us to shed some weight off the front ends of the car while allowing 4 identical wheels to be used and fill that ugly fender gap we have in the rear of our vehicles.

Related Information: The rear wheels on our cars can be maxed to 11 inch wide wheels!! Performance-wise, I wouldn't run anything wider than 10 inches. Even the new EVO'S struggle to run even a 9.5inch wide wheel all around on their cars. Think about how much better your car would handle and grip with 10 inch wide wheels. You can also use 9,8, or 7 inch wide wheels with lower offsets. (these give you that deep dish lip that everyone loves) I'll start up a wheel thread with specs and options as well as post updates here...


I've been talking to 3 different companies to get these made, all the companies have expressed that they require a minimum of about 20 sets to be produced. Please post your interest in this thread and whether you'de "definatly purchase" "plan to purchase" or are just "interested."

I want to give this thread about 2 weeks to gather feedback and then see what i can do negotiating with the companies on price. I will then post the prices and information here and we can decide as a group which company to use.

I've also considered having an intake duct incorperated into the driver-side fender that could be used to bring in cold ait to the intake. Something tasteful, not ricey. I'd love if I could get feedback on what you guys think of that idea as well



Feedback
_____________________________________________

Definatly Purchase:
[02]


Plan to purchase:
[01]


Interested:
[04]
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by roo on Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
roo
Club Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:50 am

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:54 am

I concidered this about a year ago. The rear fenders only appear to be wider. It is the rear axel that is shorter. The front fenders are as far out as the rear. The garage cruise car uses 17x9.5" wide wheels front and rear and Bob uses 16x9 all the way around. Bob also uses 245 wide race tires, which are wider then 245 street tires. There may not be a need for such an item for the purpose of wider wheels. Roll then fenders and there ya go, wide wheels and tires with no rub. I doubt most people would splurge on 9" wide or wider wheels for a street car. I myself am going with the 9" wide wheels for my track gt4.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
User avatar
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member
 
Posts: 10336
Images: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: St Louis Area (IL)

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:25 am

I'm only interested. I'd have to see what it would look like before I make a final decision. A nice deep dish is what I'm after and being able to fit something as wide as a 275 tire all the way around would kick ass.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Postby roo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:30 am

CMS-GT4 wrote:I concidered this about a year ago. The rear fenders only appear to be wider. It is the rear axel that is shorter. The front fenders are as far out as the rear. The garage cruise car uses 17x9.5" wide wheels front and rear and Bob uses 16x9 all the way around. Bob also uses 245 wide race tires, which are wider then 245 street tires. There may not be a need for such an item for the purpose of wider wheels. Roll then fenders and there ya go, wide wheels and tires with no rub. I doubt most people would splurge on 9" wide or wider wheels for a street car. I myself am going with the 9" wide wheels for my track gt4.


So you're telling me that the wheelbase in the front is wider than the rear? If that were the case, the car would oversteer in stock form....which we know is not the case. :shrug:

The Garage cruise car has overfenders on the front...

Image

http://www.cruise-power.co.jp
User avatar
roo
Club Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:50 am

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:24 am

would these directly replace the fenders of a 90 gt as well, no other modifications necessary?...i'm assuming then that i'd be stuck with not-as-wide rear fenders then huh? maybe i can replace my rear fenders with gts fenders...would that work? then would my front and rear bumpers conform wierd? aiyah.....too tired, must sleep
Guest
 


Postby roo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:17 am

Anonymous wrote:would these directly replace the fenders of a 90 gt as well, no other modifications necessary?...i'm assuming then that i'd be stuck with not-as-wide rear fenders then huh? maybe i can replace my rear fenders with gts fenders...would that work? then would my front and rear bumpers conform wierd? aiyah.....too tired, must sleep


direct replacements for your front fenders. for a front wheel drive car, I think it would actually look better with wider fenders up front...
User avatar
roo
Club Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:50 am

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:19 am

roo I bought wind delectors off you almost 11 months ago and still haven't recieved them, and now your ingoring my emails?

what's going on you said you were looking for the reciet that was 3 months ago, have you jsut run off with my money? thanks alot
Guest
 


Postby wyldie » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:20 am

sorry above post was by me wyldie... I can't eraze it as it was a guest, but please don't let my transaction with Roo affect you purshases with him, we have just had a miss understanding.
Last edited by wyldie on Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------
JDM gt4
User avatar
wyldie
Club Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby turbo4wd » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:59 pm

Put me down as plan to purchase.. As long as they're a good fit, I'm game.. Since theyre fiberglass, they shouldnt cost much either..
Dan
Undercover Moderator
User avatar
turbo4wd
Established Member
 
Posts: 2459
Images: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:05 am
Location: back home in SoCal..

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:28 pm

roo wrote:
CMS-GT4 wrote:I concidered this about a year ago. The rear fenders only appear to be wider. It is the rear axel that is shorter. The front fenders are as far out as the rear. The garage cruise car uses 17x9.5" wide wheels front and rear and Bob uses 16x9 all the way around. Bob also uses 245 wide race tires, which are wider then 245 street tires. There may not be a need for such an item for the purpose of wider wheels. Roll then fenders and there ya go, wide wheels and tires with no rub. I doubt most people would splurge on 9" wide or wider wheels for a street car. I myself am going with the 9" wide wheels for my track gt4.


So you're telling me that the wheelbase in the front is wider than the rear? If that were the case, the car would oversteer in stock form....which we know is not the case. :shrug:

The Garage cruise car has overfenders on the front...

Image

http://www.cruise-power.co.jp


Yes that is what I am telling you. Go measure it for yourself. We already had a thread on this on the old forum, that I started myself. We have also discussed that the rear being tucked in the fenders is a probabal cause for the understeer, and that widing the rear track will help nuetral out the handling and reduce the understeer. On the same note making the rear wheel go out too far past the stock one will also cause and understeer issue. Not all cars follow the same rules with adjusting the track, the 185 being one of them.
And I am talking about the other garage cruise celica (red) anyway. I do not know the specs of the one you posted.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
User avatar
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member
 
Posts: 10336
Images: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: St Louis Area (IL)

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby roo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

Having a wider track up front would not cause understeer. Alot of beggining drifters use a wider setup in the front because it causes oversteer and makes for more easily controlled drifts.

Have you measured the wheels bases in the front and the rear? I'm going to attempt it but if you have some info already, please post it.
User avatar
roo
Club Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:50 am

Postby AWDios » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:17 pm

You can put me down as mildly interested.

1. I want to see what they look like.
2. I want to know for sure this would be a benefit to me.
3. I want to hear something other than negative feedback from people who have done business with you.

This isn't meant as an insult or attack, but one can't help but notice that every business related thread you start, people pop in and ask where the items they ordered are and mention they've already paid and are waiting.

I've only heard anything good from Coldiron when he bought the Cusco stuff.

Honestly from my stand point, I'm interested in a lot of the things you have to offer, but I'm afraid to purchase from you.
90 White 185 with a 97 205 motor
Puget Sound Toyota Owners Club
www.pstoc.org

Formerly known as GT-Four195
AWDios
Established Member
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:27 pm
Location: Bothell, Wa

Postby SBCelicaGT » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:31 pm

Mildly Interested

I'd like to fit 8" wide wheels(245/45/16 tires) on my GT and was considering flared fenders. If this goes into production it must look OEM for me to be interested. No silly scoops, cuts, vents, odd angles, etc. I'll need to see a prototype before I put my deposit down.
Adrian Avgerinos
90 Celica GT-V6
User avatar
SBCelicaGT
Club Member
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby roo » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:24 am

Just as a note, i am NOT selling these. Whichever company produces them will handle all the transactions, manufacturing shipping, etc. I'm not doing this for profit, I'm just organizing this thing to see that they are actually produced.
User avatar
roo
Club Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:50 am

Postby b00staholic » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:46 am

roo --

These companies you're talking to are in the United States, right? Not Japan?

I think a lot of people would be less interested if they had to pay for freight from Japan on these things and not be able to directly communicate with the company in an appreciable manner.
b00staholic
Club Member
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: nor*cal

Next

Return to Exterior Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests