st185 body kit research and concepts (AT club homework)

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Mon May 14, 2007 4:34 pm

I know you guys are wanting form amd function out of your kit, but the only thing i want to do to my car is cs/rc conversion and some sort of splitter for high speed stability. However i would be concerned about it coming off at 130+ mph.

What about some sort of underbody aero? i plan on getting some custom aluminum underpanels to help sooth out air going under the car. Maybe rear underaero to reduce drag?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
^Ted^

went back to the dark side of hondas!!!
(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God

Postby Sifu » Thu May 17, 2007 3:40 pm

Alright I spent most of the time fixing the model then actually modelling but with a decent base it's a lot easier to make things out of it. Bear in mind that the shape is what's most important. My gosh that model was a mess.

The first tests are simple tests. I will start getting to advanced ones soon. If anyone has any suggestions then please tell me. Really, even really bad ideas are welcomed because this is a great way to see what it can look like without having to sacrifice a lot of time and development. Who knows? A giant rear whale tail fin spolier just might look right with the right body kit.

These first ones I tried to keep similar lines with the stock shape. I believe many owners here love the lines but want to enhance it without overdoing it. My idea of a bodykit has always been to enhance the exterior without making the car look too different.
1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby Tazka » Thu May 17, 2007 3:47 pm

Hmm, ive been thinking how would rear diffuser like this look in all-trac
Im going to ps it when i have time.
Tazka
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu May 17, 2007 3:53 pm

Look at teh rear of mazda 3s and 6s. The slight rear skirt that are cut out for the black diffuser like plastic.

Sifu, first thing is first. Try and lower those headlights. ;)

I would not worry too much about detailing the body. If you can put all the detail in the body kit, we can take a pic of an alltrac in the same angle and photoshop it on.

I do not like the sharp edge opf the rear bumper on the fender line. Maybe if you round it off some. The rear may not need to be that extreme anyhow.

Thats pretty much the savage kit, right?
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Sifu » Thu May 17, 2007 4:31 pm

I've always wanted the Alltrac to be wider. Reminds me of an Aston Martin.

Granted this one will require the most work but man I would do it!
1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby Tazka » Thu May 17, 2007 4:41 pm

So i made a quick edit of the diffuser:
Eerm...something doesn't look right on it.
Tazka
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:47 pm

You might be going in the right direction though.

Car might need to be lowered. Or the diffuser might need to be higher.

Sifu,
What program are you modling in? The widebody kit would be tricky.
I think the front is easy to do. You front flares remind me of the Messiah kit.

The rear will be harder to do. I think studying the porche 911 rear fenders, supra rear fenders, 350z rear fenders and that one ps I did of a widebody concept a while ago, to do the rear fenders.

Here is the JGTC concept I did years ago.
I always wondered if a version of this bumper might look good on a regular alltrac.

Last edited by CMS-GT4 on Thu May 17, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coldiron
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:55 pm

I don't think that design is for everyone, or realistic for a street car. The wheel and tire size is huge. 22" or something, plus the wheel are is too high. I think the way the rear fenders are molded would be the best way to do a rear fender flare. The rear bumper is also extended and the rear trunk line is rounded out more. This would be sort of the start of a "show only" kit. Be near impossible to replace the parts, they would have to be remade.

The hood is a bit graish too. Some claimed its unfunctonal, but its the same hood suby used. So it must have a purpose.

The front bumper and rear flares are my favorite pars. Play with those on your model if you want.
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby WarTowels » Thu May 17, 2007 6:34 pm

With the first model, it might be more helpful to not have in in red, and just blend it together. The red makes it (for me) harder to imagine.

Also, kill the front lip jut. I think what everyone wants, is the stock lines- just lowered.

Which is basically the savage kit without the little forward lip.

Also, I think that diffuser looks sweet. It might look better if it took up less of the bumper width IMO.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby theUNYTEDone » Thu May 17, 2007 10:06 pm

the one that tazka made is awesome! i do agree that it needs somewhat of a drop though (the entire car)...what about doing something like this? hold on, im going to try and find it...

*searching*

i notice that a lot of supras and 240's run with this idea. have the rear bumper that drops down by the rear wheels. our car have a HINT of that as stock (from a side view) but i think if the bottom of the rear bumper was dropped more, and it had that rear diffuser in there, itd really bring everything together.
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Fri May 18, 2007 2:43 am

I think you guys are giving some really good ideas in this thread.

CMS-GT4, that black model looks killer, but i don't know if i would like it in real life. Personally, i love the stock fenders. However, wartowels did a great job improving the looks with the molded bumper and sideskirts.

BTW Tazka, i don't know what you think looks wrong, but that rear diffuser looks perfect IMO. thats exactly what i would like to be made. now we just need to get a body kit company to get the same idea. Maybe we can start email them with this thread to see if any new products can be made.
^Ted^

went back to the dark side of hondas!!!
(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God

Postby Tazka » Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 am

It's VERY much used material making bodykits, its hard and pretty light allthough not as light as CF. Most of the bucket seats are made of glassfibre, many many boats are made of glassfibre.

I don't know if it's only euro thing but anyway it's the most used material on bodykits here.

In finland it's more usual to see ppl making bodykits by them self than buying them.

Here's good example of fully self-made GF bodykit.
Tazka
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Tazka » Tue May 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Ok, so i figured out that the width of the diffuser is ok, the thing that matters is the height it was too high on the first pic now i think it looks better, not too high not too low:
Old one
New one
What do you think?
Tazka
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby AWDios » Tue May 22, 2007 3:54 pm

Am I the only one who can't see a thing in that pic?

By the way, the glassfibre thing. We call it Fiber glass in the states.
90 White 185 with a 97 205 motor
Puget Sound Toyota Owners Club
www.pstoc.org

Formerly known as GT-Four195
AWDios
Established Member

Postby WarTowels » Wed May 23, 2007 1:43 am

Ask Simba maybe?

I blew the colors out a bit to shedy some more light on it.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods