st185 body kit research and concepts (AT club homework)

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

Postby CMS-GT4 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:01 am

Don't know about you guys but I thought it could use some wider wheels.

Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:51 am

SO, even though i don't like body kits really, the kit that this site (other than the stupidly obnoxious front bumper and wing) seems to be along the lines of what you guys like. the side skirts are straight down and make the car visually lower, it has a nice molded lip (which i kinda like), and this is the only rear diffuser kit ive ever seen (the pics of the diffuser suck). The funny thing about the diffuser is i doubt that it would be effective because of the position of the gas tank. Their pricing is also ridicules, but i figured it would be some more pictures for you guys to get ideas off of.

http://www.neeltec.co.uk/
^Ted^

went back to the dark side of hondas!!!
(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:55 am

I think he is way over priced, and I also think his lip is a savage knock off. Or at least inspired. I think the skirts are ok less teh weird part that oes over the fender.

I forgot about his kit. Even though he sells it, I think he might be the only one who wears it.
Coldiron
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Sifu » Thu May 24, 2007 2:50 pm

Muahahahaha!!! What are those? Fog light curb feelers?!?
1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby evo » Thu May 24, 2007 7:09 pm

Denver_whiteST185 wrote:(the pics of the diffuser suck). The funny thing about the diffuser is i doubt that it would be effective because of the position of the gas tank.

This looks like a terrible photoshop
1992/ST185
evo
Club Member

Postby shadowlife25 » Sun May 27, 2007 12:30 am

So then is there a diffuser with a proven design?
shadowlife25
Club Member

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:35 am

shadowlife25 wrote:So then is there a diffuser with a proven design?

No, with how low our gas tank sits, you would have to make a difuser of sorts that would sit lower so that it would be in the flow of air. the only real way to make a usable rear diffuser do this would be to do a project like this first....
(8 Gallon fuel cell if your wondering)
^Ted^

(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God

Postby 3sgte@daspeedof » Sun May 27, 2007 4:37 am

Well I posted this on some of the other celica boards but didn't get many responses. But I might be able to help out the board if everyone can agree on something and I can get 5ppl interested in the parts.

I have the opportunity to have a mold made for the carcept lip & sides and for my Erebuni #398 front lip, those are the ones I currently have. If I have enough interest in getting these made, I will take it over and get it copied. There will be a custom rear available later as well as of right now I'm only looking at two options. Approximate cost would be $150 to $200cnd per part plus shipping.
Please No PM, jut respond in this thread.
Thanks for looking.

[SIZE="5"]Carcept Front lip & sides[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]Erebuni Front[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]Bumper options.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"]1.[/SIZE] Image
[SIZE="4"]2. [/SIZE] Image
[SIZE="4"]3. [/SIZE] No bumper just a nice clean lip
4. That Rear defuser idea could work but the rear would have to sit a few inches lower. Kind of like the pacfiffer rear, interms of how how it is.
Alltrac hood, carcept sides, erubuni front lip
3sgte swapped celi

A boosted Celica is fun, Seeing the look on someones face when they get left by a car that is primered is priceless
3sgte@daspeedof
Club Member

Postby Toxygene » Sun May 27, 2007 5:27 am

I think the idea of a rear bumper cover and a diffuser seem to be mixed up.

A bumper cover like the pictures everyone are showing do nothing but add a nice big piece of plastic for air to drag on since the air gets caught behind it.

A real diffuser like on a Skyline with the idea applied to our car would simply be vertical slats of some material that would direct the air straight and directly out past the bumper. You could have another piece that would simply attach horizontally to the bottom of the rear bumper to keep air from hitting the back of the bumper and causing drag.

I have a detailed scale model of the Skyline which is where I got the idea for the functional diffuser as apposed to the "look at me I have a bumper cover just for looks" body kit.
Last edited by Toxygene on Sun May 27, 2007 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toxygene
Established Member

Postby 3sgte@daspeedof » Sun May 27, 2007 5:32 am

I understand the difference between the two, I listed the kits as thats what I would like to do, but I also mentioned that if you had a defuser, that "worked & was functional" not like the kits I posted it might be worth while to look at it.

Reason I thought of the pacffier one, was that it would come down to the gas tank, then you could have wartowels idea of a defuser added to it. You want it to bolt to the tank and rise up allowing air to flow under it(we all understand that). While still leaving it with a lowered/cleaner look. imo would look best. The pacffifer only adds a few inches to the bottem. But leaves you enough space to place a defuser still and have it look good.
Alltrac hood, carcept sides, erubuni front lip
3sgte swapped celi

A boosted Celica is fun, Seeing the look on someones face when they get left by a car that is primered is priceless
3sgte@daspeedof
Club Member

Postby WarTowels » Sun May 27, 2007 5:55 am

^Exactly.

It's definatly possible to have the best of both worlds. But like anything of this nature it's going to be custom, and most likely expensive. The worst part about the back end of the celica is the gas tank IMO. The bumper cover fixs that. Anything beyond that to me, is gravy.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:38 am

that diffuser on the skyline might work with a stock celica. it would help smooth out airflow and reduce any lift.

An ideal solution would be something like this that actually creates downforce and helps it stick to the road. it would require a lot of R&D and probably some sort of wing tunel testing or something similar.
http://www.madpsi.net/MR2RearDiffuser.htm
If you look up the new Nismo 350Z, they feature a similar design straight from the factory.
^Ted^

Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:20 pm

I did some quick ps'ing to Rene's car.

Top is stock,

Middle is a rounded lip w/ black trim like the SC300 and Supras

Bottom is close to the savage style.

I think the middle lip makes the car look more muscular and the bottom lip makes the car look more tuner/ modern.

Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby lumbercis » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:35 pm

I like the supra-style lip in the middle pic. Are the dimensions between the OEM supra lip and the alltrac close enough to get it to fit with a sawzall and some bondo? :lol:

The lip in the last pic, and all the modified carcept lips you guys have come up with is already being made by Aero Magic in two different styles. Pick one! Okay, Im going to stop repeating this now.

The problem with this thread in general is that you guys are coming up with all sorts of custom stuff that is very similar to parts that are already being made. However, Ive never seen one person on this site actually purchase a body mod of any sort. Why make custom stuff if no one is even using the stuff that is out there now? Yeah, alot of it is crap, but not all of it. I don't even see people using the conservative stuff. If you like the general outlines of the carcept lip, but think it sticks out too far, just buy one and grind the lip back until it's where you like it. Probably way cheaper than having a shop creat an extremely low-production custom piece.

J.
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby lumbercis » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:18 pm

Hmm, could be. That guy with the matte black vert with the bronze volks just got one a few months ago. I believe from bulletproof. They still list them on their site: http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/ca ... hp?ID=3393

Even if they are discontinued, if the community really had a demand for them, you could try to get a hold of one and have a shop make copies. Im just saying that you guys are re-inventing the wheel in most cases.

J.
lumbercis
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods