*** C/S Bumpers to be discontinued ***

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

*** C/S Bumpers to be discontinued ***

Postby N.W. 92 GT-S » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:01 pm

I just picked mine up and the guy said only 11 left in the system and they will be discontinued and will be no longer be available after those are gone . I might go get another one......
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
N.W. 92 GT-S
Club Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:10 pm

Postby Toxygene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:04 pm

Wow,

I think there is a Canadian Toyota Parts distributor that is selling all the parts as a kit to do the change over. I wonder if they know about the availablility or if they have some other way of getting more.

Here is their link: SpeedToys

If this is the case then maybe someone should have the bumper duplicated by someone like VIS or some other body kit manufacturer.
Last edited by Toxygene on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Toxygene
Established Member
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Tazka » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Wait this means that you can't get one no matter where you live?
User avatar
Tazka
Club Member
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Finland

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby N.W. 92 GT-S » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Tazka wrote:Wait this means that you can't get one no matter where you live?


I'm thinking just here in the States. Other parts of the world might have a larger supply. But soon as Toyota is out they won't produce anymore .....
N.W. 92 GT-S
Club Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:10 pm

Postby 91alltrac » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:02 am

It's a good thing I bought a new one last month then.
User avatar
91alltrac
Club Member
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:54 pm
Location: Omaha Metro

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:24 am

Thats a bunch of bull. When USA runs out, they ship then in from Japan and restock. Just to give you an idea, I checked a few years ago and there was only 5 in the country. Obviously they didn't discontinue them.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Postby N.W. 92 GT-S » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:33 am

just going on what I was told ......
N.W. 92 GT-S
Club Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:10 pm

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:48 am

I was thinking about this the other day. I am curious when they will discontinue them though. I think I will keep my old one, for just in case I damage the new one I am going to get. I will always have a backup even if toyota does kill them off.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
User avatar
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member
 
Posts: 10337
Images: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: St Louis Area (IL)

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby turbo4wd » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:59 pm

RedCelicaTRD wrote:Thats a bunch of bull. When USA runs out, they ship then in from Japan and restock. Just to give you an idea, I checked a few years ago and there was only 5 in the country. Obviously they didn't discontinue them.


This is true, at least until the supply in Japan runs out. OEMs don't manufactuer parts for vehicles past a certain amount of time. They usually produce large batches in several runs and thats it. The number of bumpers that were made is based off the projections that X amount would be needed for so many years for so many cars sold.

So bottom line, there is a finite amount of bumpers left. When they're done, they're done.
Dan
Undercover Moderator
User avatar
turbo4wd
Established Member
 
Posts: 2459
Images: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:05 am
Location: back home in SoCal..

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:52 am

As long as the part sells, they make more. They don't produce "X" number of units and thats it. If people keep buying the bumper they will make more. Look at the ae86, still going strong with the various bumpers since people keep buying them.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Postby turbo4wd » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:03 am

RedCelicaTRD wrote:As long as the part sells, they make more. They don't produce "X" number of units and thats it. If people keep buying the bumper they will make more. Look at the ae86, still going strong with the various bumpers since people keep buying them.


Sorry dude, but I beg to differ. I used to work in the parts & service division at Nissan North America - Toyota runs their division the same way. In fact most major OEMs run off a similar model..

Sheetmetal body panels are created in dies and stamping machines, while plastic parts are made in molds. When the next generation vehicle comes out, all the presses are retooled, and new molds are made. OEMs don't go back and use molds that are 15-20 years old just because 5-10 people a year buy a bumper. Its not cost effective as the cost per unit is extremely high and it literally is a waste of their precious time.

They will create parts based off a number of factors: what type of part it is, how many vehicles are projected to sell, how many vehicles were sold, how many parts have sold relative to how many vehicles over x amount of time (aka parts tempo), and how many parts are projected to be needed after vehicle production ceases. Some OEMs will use a number like 10 years - so they'll produce enough spare parts during the production run of the vehicle to supply a percentage of total vehicles projected to sell during its life cycle for 10 years after the final production year.

They DO NOT keep building parts like body panels "on demand". Other parts that may be shared between vehicles like alternators and water pumps may be built in greater numbers per batch, but they too are not built past a certain point, unless of course that part is still being used today on a current vehicle.

When you reference the AE86 - Toyota sold a few hundred thousand of these cars (probably closer to a million for the entire generation globally) and thus the spare parts supply is going to be massive. On the flip side there were only a couple thousand RC ST185's built.. the spare parts supply for this car is no where near in abundance as an AE86..

So what you're seeing is effectively a handful of enthusiasts who have access to a huge surplus of parts for a large volume vehicle (AE86) while on the other hand, I seem to recall dealers having a hard (if not impossible) time of finding a pair of RC Hood ornaments to sell you....
Dan
Undercover Moderator
User avatar
turbo4wd
Established Member
 
Posts: 2459
Images: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:05 am
Location: back home in SoCal..

Postby Rick89GTS » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:42 am

turbo4wd wrote:
RedCelicaTRD wrote:As long as the part sells, they make more. They don't produce "X" number of units and thats it. If people keep buying the bumper they will make more. Look at the ae86, still going strong with the various bumpers since people keep buying them.


Sorry dude, but I beg to differ.....
Some OEMs will use a number like 10 years - so they'll produce enough spare parts during the production run of the vehicle to supply a percentage of total vehicles projected to sell during its life cycle for 10 years after the final production year...........


Paraphrasing you but that's my understanding also. IIRC, a manufacturer is required by law to have parts availability for 10 years. After that, it's up to them. Can't recall where I read that though.... :shrug:
User avatar
Rick89GTS
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:28 am
Location: Great White North, Canada

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:34 am

I'm not going to disagree with you on the fact that alot of parts do get discontinued after a few years. I see it everyday since I've worked at Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mopar and Hyundai dealers (since we're dropping names :wink: ) However, it simple economics, if you keep selling the part, keep making the part. Since most parts are outsourced to other companies it doesn't take any time away from Toyota to have them made. They put in an order, parts get made. If a supplier wont make the part they sometimes will go to other people (i'm sure you've seen some of the fun stuff that happens when you get multiple suppliers for one part). I've ordered parts that are "discontinued" from Toyota and still gotten them. It does take time, you get a notice that says "supplier ship direct" but the part gets manufactured. I'm sure that brand new engine wiring harness that I got a year ago that was supplier ship direct wasn't sitting on a shelf, waiting for the past 16 years for me to order it up. And besides, when alot more people order the part doesn't it change the "part tempo?"
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Postby Rick89GTS » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 am

User avatar
Rick89GTS
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:28 am
Location: Great White North, Canada

Postby turbo4wd » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:11 am

RedCelicaTRD wrote:I'm not going to disagree with you on the fact that alot of parts do get discontinued after a few years. I see it everyday since I've worked at Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mopar and Hyundai dealers (since we're dropping names :wink: ) However, it simple economics, if you keep selling the part, keep making the part. Since most parts are outsourced to other companies it doesn't take any time away from Toyota to have them made. They put in an order, parts get made. If a supplier wont make the part they sometimes will go to other people (i'm sure you've seen some of the fun stuff that happens when you get multiple suppliers for one part). I've ordered parts that are "discontinued" from Toyota and still gotten them. It does take time, you get a notice that says "supplier ship direct" but the part gets manufactured. I'm sure that brand new engine wiring harness that I got a year ago that was supplier ship direct wasn't sitting on a shelf, waiting for the past 16 years for me to order it up. And besides, when alot more people order the part doesn't it change the "part tempo?"


I agree with you on the subject of vendors. Often times once an OEM is done producing parts themselves, a vendor may come in and obtain the rights to continue producing parts (if they weren't already). However in my experience, this is extremely rare when it comes to bodywork for low volume / limited production vehicles, because they're almost always developed in-house, unlike something like a water pump which is contracted out to a separate manufacturer.

So I stand by what I said, I don't think you'll see RC bumpers available as long as people buy them - Once they're gone, they're gone. I'm sure at this point, there's a surplus of them at some PDC in Japan, and because the rate of them being sold per year worldwide is probably close to single digits, there's a fair chance that supply may last..

But I wouldn't count on there being any in 10 years time.. :wink:
Dan
Undercover Moderator
User avatar
turbo4wd
Established Member
 
Posts: 2459
Images: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:05 am
Location: back home in SoCal..

Next

Return to Exterior Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests