205 spoiler on 185

i found a nice spoiler off a 96+ gt4 with the riser blocks and would really like to know if they fit on a 185. i think it has been done before. thanks

YerRandO

I measured the mounting points off my 94 spoiler (same spoiler as the GT4 minus the riser blocks) and it's not even close. It doesn't mount and follow the lines of the hatch like on a 6th gen, it sits more out over the fender.

Tazka

Well it's obvious you need to modify it to fit...There's a guy on this forum who's doing that mod on his st185...I don't remember his nick right now though.

Hotrodhendrix

I will be working on this in the next few months as well. If anyone would like to post more info on it that would be great! I didnt plan on this being a perfect fit on the first try.

I do wish the 5th gens got the slightly raised section on the hatch like the 6th gen. I may just have to make something similar for my 185.

hacker_720

Hotrodhendrix":a3pzek88 said:
I do wish the 5th gens got the slightly raised section on the hatch like the 6th gen. I may just have to make something similar for my 185.

I couldn't agree more, I like the front of the 185 and the back of the 205... someone want to cut 2 cars in half and make my dream car for me?

here's a dumb question.. will the hatch off the 205 fit the 185?

Letze

Simple answer... no

long answer... if you have the ass end of a 20x to chop off and the balls to slap it on a 185... then its possible... but not reasonable...

it'd be easier to swap the front end of a 5th gen onto a 6th gen...

Hotrodhendrix

They both have there good and bads but im not a fan of the 185 rear. It needs lots of work to look good. Not to mention the gas tank that leaves you with no exaust choices.

Anyways... I think the 205 WRC spoiler fits the 185's lines really well. Much better than I would have figured.

Didnt I read some where that these spoilers creat so much downforce that it lowers your top speed by a large portion?

CMS-GT4

It may reduce your speeds however I doubt by too much. I am sure 205s could have the same top speeds of the 185. The 205 is supposed to be more aerodynamic as well, so maybe it compensates for it. I mean, what better form of drag can you put on a car than two barn door sized popup headlights.

I know the wing was in place to help keep the cars from taking a nose dive during jumps. Not sure what other benefits it had during racing.

It might be made to look good. I think a 185 will at least need a front lip to balance out the look.

Hotrodhendrix

Most definitly a front lip at least. I will probably be going sideskirts and rear bumper as well but its hard to find these that dont kill the lines of our cars.

I will look for that article but I think it said something around 10mph difference!

CMS-GT4

Well, I will be working on a front lip for these cars and there is a savage kit group buy being worked on in another thread.

Gary ST165

Hotrodhendrix":3k7ontxk said:
Didnt I read some where that these spoilers creat so much downforce that it lowers your top speed by a large portion?

http://homepage.virgin.net/shalco.com/tte_ST205.htm

The purpose of the rear wing is to correct the inherent balance disadvantage of a transverse-engined car compared with longitudinal-engined models like Fords and Subaru's. The aerofoil has been designed to minimise drag losses while still increasing the downforce and it is effective from 100-120 kph upwards.

"We get better traction and it makes the car more stable. The wing has two positions, up and down, with removable distance pieces. In the Japanese market it will be sold with the wing in me up position and the pieces in place, but to help transport the export cars the pieces will be removed and stowed in me boot ready to fit on arrival. "We are expecting to sell around 2500 examples in Japan alone with the pieces in place. The amount of downforce is influenced by ride height and we still have to carry out wind tunnel tests, but it's expected that there will be 50 kg of downforce at 100 kph with the wing in the up position, and maybe five times more than that with the wing at the low position."

some how that last sentence doesn't make quite sense to me... as i interpret. The spoiler will add 5 x more down force with the spoiler raiser blocks in situe (high position). One thing is for sure it does work, be it on twisty B roads or Vmax attempts on the air strip as tried and tested by many members on the gt4oc.

CMS-GT4

Just for reference, what a Y2k TRD wing might look like.

trdwingug9.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

Tazka

Looks nice.
Any other photos of that spoiler?

I saw this vr4 today, and thought how this kind of spoiler would look like on st185...
spoiler.JPG

eddie_gt4

Tazka":1nolpxw0 said:
Looks nice.
Any other photos of that spoiler?

I saw this vr4 today, and thought how this kind of spoiler would look like on st185...
spoiler.JPG
looks to me as a copy of Subaru STi spoiler :twisted:

and you don't wan't such thing on a ST185 :nono:

Hotrodhendrix

Thats the 99 VR4 combat spoiler.
Looks like they copied mitsu.
It came stock on them the last year they were made. I like the 3000gt hoop spoiler much better.... Of course thats the one I have. :)