making skid plates

l00k0v3rth3r3

Im making skid plates. If anyone is interested let me know, first PM first served, there will be a limited amount, they should be pretty inexpensive.

WarTowels

Doubt you will get any takers with out A) pictures B) a slightly better and more detailed description.

-Towels

syko says

Also, what kind of material will you be using? Will these skid plates have vents to help 'suck' out the heat from the engine?

l00k0v3rth3r3

im located in MI, as for material i was thinking thin stainless steel, but i put this up for ideas as well as takers. i have the plans drawn up but thats the good thing about pencils it can be changed if you guys have good ideas that i can incorporate into the design that would be great, also if you send me the dimensions for 165 im sure i could bang one out for you.

Razzo

l00k0v3rth3r3":2a7t6w2d said:
im located in MI, as for material i was thinking thin stainless steel, but i put this up for ideas as well as takers. i have the plans drawn up but thats the good thing about pencils it can be changed if you guys have good ideas that i can incorporate into the design that would be great, also if you send me the dimensions for 165 im sure i could bang one out for you.

you must think about the materials a bit more. stainless steel rusts fast if not painted well. second is weight! i think alluminum would be a better idea, only problem with that is cost...also what thickness of material do you plan on using?

aus jd 2703

Razzo":25tkx2pi said:
. stainless steel rusts fast if not painted well.
are u sure bout this?
all kitchen and medical area's are stainless for several reasons one being iuts corrosion resistant. this comes from the nickel content in stainless
but i do agree stainless is not the best idea it tends to work harden (repetitive flexing will cause cracks faster than a normal steel or aluminium)

l00k0v3rth3r3

well my original plan was either aluminum or stainless, but the thickness is going to be about 3/64 inches, slightly thicker than 1 mm. This is why I posted before i started, i want your guys input to make it. with one mind, i might not think of things that would be useful to this project. so i appreciate the input keep it coming!

WarTowels

Stainless steal *should* not rust "fast"... ahem DeLorean?

Stainless steal can rust, which is usually because imperfections (a.k.a low quality) in the metal though, but as a whole it is highly rust resistant.

-Towels

Balagast

I'd be interested in this ... my car is missing all the stock underbody plastic and i want to get into rally cross (rather not destroy the underside of my car).

Also just my $.02 but I'd go with aluminum ... light and mailable.