Rear Diffuser

EricGT4

So I went delving into the body exterior mods area today. I found a photoshop that I thought was really cool and was trying to think of a way to pull it off.

Photoshop:
st185diffuserns5.jpg

So I was thinking maybe I could get a nice diffuser from another car and have my bumper chopped up a bit and work the other one in. Right now the one that I found that I though might work so far is this RX-7.

RE-Amemiyadiffuser.jpg

Any input or ideas regarding this?

Tazka

Oh my old photoshop still around :) I could do some more photoshops of this idea when i have time.

xkirex

that actually looks pretty bad ass, Im not gunna lie. hahah and add some front splitters. mm mm good stuff

Mafix

second one looks good to me.

BTW any other links to abs ones? i'm not into the carbon thing and it's horrible for me to work with. i'd like on as big as the first link but in abs and not 600 bucks for something i'm going to chop up. fiberglass works too. just not carbon.

Mafix

car goes in the shop very soon. we will be making a diffuser from scratch. this should be a fun adventure!

Mafix

i'm a bit torn on what to make it out of. fiberglass or i can get a sheet of 1/2' plexi. hmmmmm....

i leaning on the plexi side. it won't take nearly as long and would be easy to replace should it get tore up.

fhalperformance

As long as its functional and has good fit/finish it shouldnt matter. People usually have a preference but you can always do fiberglass later once you got something that works.

EricGT4

Def keep us posted on this. I will be doing something to mine it just wont be happening for a little while. Anyone who gives this a go though, give us some pics.

Mafix

well wooden prototype was what we decided on. plexi will not bend to meet what i need. i'll get pics up when we start on it

CMS-GT4

I was looking at the gas tank cover. I wonder if one could just cut the bottom of it off and kept the sides and mounting points then fiberglassed the diffuser to the base of that.

CMS-GT4

Well here is the room made once the gas tank is removed. It might give those who want to get a fuel cell and a rear diffuser an idea of what they are working with.

img0249yt2.jpg

img0250ce6.jpg

img0251bt5.jpg

A quick PS of a dual exhaust 3-piece diffuser. I would never do the dual exhaust myself, but w/o the tank in the way you would have a lot more options for the muffler style and location.

185notankdiffux8.jpg

Im still thinking about making one out of aluminum come spring. I have a side exit exhaust so I dont have to worry about that and I can form the diffuser around the gas tank.

CMS-GT4

So I had seen some interesting info on how these work. Might be ideal for you guys to read up on them before making one. From what I have read, the oem tank cover might even benefit from having the holes in the bottom covered so that air flows over it and does not get trapped in it. The muffler will still cause some issues though. I am sure will do it mostly for looks though and may not see much benefit unless they drive high speeds. If I do one I will likely get a smaller exhaust that is closer to the size of the gas tank so that I can make it closer to the body of the car and more uniform.

There is lots of good info on the my350z forums.
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/diffuser.htm

I also suggest reading Competition Car Downforce by Simon McBeath to see how all those other aero mods make downforce.

You will see a crazy amount, and design, in the vanes in sports cars and open-wheel racers, all to keep the flow one-dimentional and somewhat predictable at the limit. The diffuser is pretty much defined as "free downforce" (along with a properly designed inlet and undertray) as there is almost no drag penalty. But you'd have to spend a crap load of money to see that happen.

EDITED: for addition of pictures.

For the Z, we already have a factory diffuser-- it's actually the OEM exhaust, the underside has been shaped to allow for air flow to exit the underside of our car in an upward motion.

diffuser3.jpg

The effect is called Venturi. you might remember it from high school physics or college physics. Venturi Effect states (from wiki)The Venturi effect is an example of Bernoulli's principle, in the case of incompressible fluid flow (in our case, let's just use air flow under the car) through a tube or pipe with a constriction in it. (think the road to the underside of the diffuser) The fluid velocity must increase through the constriction to satisfy the equation of continuity, while its pressure must decrease due to conservation of energy: the gain in kinetic energy is supplied by a drop in pressure or a pressure gradient force. (read: same amount of air flows faster in a smaller channel than through a bigger channel.)

As the diffuser sweeps upward, it creates a lower pressure. think like the top side of a wing. it'll suck upward. well the diffuser is 'upside down' when its installed on the underside of our car, so this sucking motion will in a sense suck the car down toward the ground, thus theoretically giving the car higher downforce. starting the diffuser closest to the rear axle and having it gradually sweep upward to the end of the car is most beneficial. but with all the junk underneath our car, its a little bit harder, so we have to work from rear subframe back...

a diffuser works better if the car were lower to the ground (think smaller venturi opening), and if you can channel the airflow in straighter lines, or 'clean up' the flow from the underside. hence you always see the high end race cars with smooth underbodies with strakes that 'guide' the air all the way from the front of the car toward the back.

carreragt3.jpg

the faster the airflow underneath the car when it enters (thanks to a front diffuser or similar device) and you can maintain that air flow speed underneath, then you're in business. (thats why some F1 cars, they say produce enough downforce that if you turn the track upside down, they would still suck to the track)

so now let's talk why some of us might want a diffsuer.. a majority of the after market exhaust systems for the Z, kinda screw up the flow behind the axles. because it leaves a big gap where the stock exhaust used to be (remember? our stock diffuser...), and now at higher speeds, you might have noticed if you were following another Z on the freeway, the rear bumper buffets slightly, depending on which aftermarket exhaust that car had. (think the single or dual canister designs, happened to me when i had my RSR) all though its not that bad at like free way speeds, but do some triple digit runs, and you'll probably notice more drag on the car or it might not feel as stable as it did when you had the stock exhaust. so companies are now producing rear diffusers to 'seal' up the gap left by these canisters..

you could negate some of these weird pressures by installing 'speed holes' (haha i like to call them that) by venting the rear bumper with mesh. (example: look at all the JGTC race car rear ends. they're all open or have openings to allow air to exit from behind the wheel and under the car) but then you still won't have the benefits of having a diffuser.

to negate this turbulent airflow underneath the car by not having the stock exhaust, you can overcome the lack of undercar downforce by installing a high-pedistal GT wing that will push the rear end down.

there are alot of companies that call their rear end addons 'diffusers' which i think is a little misleading.. like the nismo piece for the G35coupe. not really. the charge speed rear piece. well. it looks nice and has a speed hole, but its not really a 'diffuser'. the varis piece, top secret/mastergrade, first molding, yea. those are diffusers.

hope that helps. if you really want more info. check out these books. I have them and read thru all of them. very good info.. the last one. R146 is a text book so if you dont have the want or desire, you can skip it.:

Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed (Engineering and Performance) by Joseph Katz (Paperback - Aug 1995)

Competition Car Aerodynamics: A practical handbook by Simon McBeath (Hardcover - May 31, 2006)

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics (R146) by William F. Milliken and Douglas L. Milliken (Hardcover - Aug 1995)

^^
rofl.

Final Edit:

oh yea. and it looks freakin bad azz.

toayoztan

CMS-GT4":20b75x91 said:

If you were to do dual exhaust, I believe rectangular exhaust tips/mufflers would look the best. Due to the alltracs flat/pancake bumper and rear end-ish look, I think something like this would accent it nicely with a lip/rear diffuser.

112_0712_30z+2009_BMW_X6+exhaust_tip.jpg

Bryan

CMS-GT4

Possibly, but I will never do a dual exhaust. If I did consider a dual exhaust, it would be if I had no fuel tank in the way, then i might do something like the 350z/ mr2 exhaust. Its one muffler with twin outlets. But I want to keep weight down and things simplified. If I do switch mufflers I am thinking of the twin tip single design.