Wax on...Wax off. Premium wax opinions wanted.

redGT4

I'm planning on doing my first detail of the year soon, so i was wondering about all these fancy premium waxes around. Is spending $100+ on a wax ,considering they are usually 60%+ carnauba wax (which all of us have eaten!)and give a damn good shine worth it? Opinions please!

At the moment i just use Mothers and Meguiars products, quality vs $$ are pretty good for both.

turbo4wd

Are you planning on doing anything else other than laying down some wax? Polishing? Claying? etc?

There is a wealth of knowledge here: http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/

A lot of guys who post here are professional detailers and its interesting to see what products they use, and their results - most of which is accessible to anyone else. Lots of good writeups as well. It'll pretty much blow your concept of detailing out of the water if all you've ever known previously was what you could buy at a local store. Good stuff..

redGT4

At the moment, i wash with meguiars and after rinsing use their quick wax spray while panels are wet and wipe them down to a dry finish, which gives a good shine and beads the water really well. I do use the waterless system, though very occasionally.

My total detail (usually did twice a year) includes sills jambs and engine bay, as well as inside the boot floor and other accessible painted panels and rubber rejuvenation etc etc. Basically a concourse/show clean.

From the looks of it all, 100 bucks on wax is a waste, so maybe Dodo Juice's range has the best finish for dollars value. oh, $2000+ for a jar of custom wax? For that price it had better come equipped with a hot topless chick to do all the work!

turbo4wd

lol.. well the great thing about that forum is that you have actual professionals who detail for a living and they give their input and reviews on many products - both professional and consumer.

So you'll probably read that many "over the counter" waxes and polishes out there are pretty decent, and if you want to get seriously high end, then yea there are $2000 custom waxes out there that these guys apply with their bare hands to the $200K+ cars they work on.. keep in mind the price these guys charge for that type of detailing job easily covers the cost of that wax.. :wink:

d1alltrac

Zaino is tried and true....Ultima is also supposed to be among the best but I have not tried any of their products yet.

Gary

Clay bar & Zymol

reflection2.jpg

reflection5.jpg

reflection4.jpg

LegacyofDan

that first pic by gary...almost looks like just a plan jane pic of a tree a car and an apartment building....i actually thought it was just that, and then i scrolled down more....just wow.... :shock:

Simba

If your paint is in good shape, yes, the high content carnauba waxes are worth the money as they tend to provide a very hard, very durable layer of protection. However, the result you get will only be as good as the underlying condition of the clearcoat you're putting it on. If it has swirls and scratches, it'll need to be cut with a given polish for the best results.

I use Zymol Concours. It's one of the best waxes out there, and isn't terribly expensive. Very, very deep gloss to it. Only have to apply it twice a year, too, and a pot of it will do about 10 applications. Just be VERY sure you know how to apply it. If you let carnauba set up on the paint, it's very, very difficult to remove.

Hotrodhendrix

Gary I asked my wife what was wrong with the first pic.... She said they must have used some fancy lense to make the pic bend like that. :lol: