Switch to full style
Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims
Post a reply

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:53 pm

What if I were to have the hoods sprayed with a PPG DCU2021 with UV Block.

The hoods would last a long long time without fade with that coat of clear.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:53 pm

it's just carbon fiber layed over a FRP hood correct?

i'd buy just an FRP hood, no C/F layed on top or on the underside.
it would make it a lot easier to paint w/a crapton less sanding required to get the C/F weave to not show when painted.
you would get the benefit of weight reduction without the tacky C/F look having it be only FRP.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:57 pm

No, Seibon hoods are molded. Not overlayed.
It's a 2 peice mold.

the frame is made of Fiberglass and the top is made of carbon fiber they are molded together in the resin injection.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:00 pm

I am looking at offering a group buy on the current Seibon offerings.
Anything for the ST16X will be in another thread.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:01 pm

How about make a correct mold based on a real RC hood. Then give that person the first hood. And then I think more members would be serious about getting a Seibon.

Otherwise, the purists are just going to get a FI hood... I know that's what I plan on doing...

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:03 pm

thanks for the info, good to know.

i just want an FRP hood, preferably stock ST185 although I would take an RC/CS style if i ran across it.

the seibon hood looks accurate, just not a fan of C/F for exterior parts. :oops:

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:08 pm

Ok

I think I found my answer lol

BTW I can also get the real Toyota CS/RC hoods and bumpers.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:58 pm

huh I was on 4gcelica for a while and never saw that. Though I might have simply missed it. The only CF hood I remember was the plain one for ST16x briefly made by carbonfiberfx, but they've of course been out of business for years.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:10 pm

The seibon hood is not accurate. This has been discussed and compared numerous times.

The center piece needs to be corrected/bigger.

I know the angles aren't exact comparing these two, but trust me, i've seen a seibon in person.

Bryan

Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:29 pm

couple things to add to the mix.
in australia ive read in a few magazines people fitting seibon carbon doors to an evo 9 and they werent impressed, each door took 10 hours to fit, considering its ment to be bolt on, not good. and this was published in a magazine so its not a rumor.
secondly i know in my state (queensland) bonnet have to comply with the Australian Design Standards. seibon and FI do not, so although u may afford the hood it may not be legal in your state or country.
just fuel for thought

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:46 pm

toayoztan wrote:The seibon hood is not accurate. This has been discussed and compared numerous times.

The center piece needs to be corrected/bigger.

I know the angles aren't exact comparing these two, but trust me, i've seen a seibon in person.

Bryan

Agrees. Vis is the best we can get now that fi isn't doing them

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Wow I didn't realize they were so far off.

I got really good pricing on them from Seibon so I thought I would try to pass it on. It's totally off.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:57 pm

I wish there were any admins around. My username should be TurboTRDCelica

You must have missed it cause I had like 19 people signed up and 2 paid deposits. This was in 2002. Since then 4GC has been on like 8 different servers and after I gave up on it, it has become st162.net.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:51 am

Ah, 2002's well before my time yeah. I wasn't along until '05

Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:13 am

yea, before I founded 4gcelica.net all the 4thgenners hung out on celica.net

Lots of valuable info was lost when celica.net died.
More valuable info lost when I decided not to renew hosting on 4gcelica.net. I offered to transfer ownership, but no one wanted to. Then 4gcelica.org showed up then that went under, then it finally became st162.net
Post a reply