My new Exahust

tintman22

I have been waiting for about 2.5 months for my exahust to show up. I bought it from auction from Japan with a little help from Sean, from Zen Auto works. I waited for him to bring in a car from Japan to save on shipping. It was well worth the wait. I just laid my eyes on it for the first time last night, and oooeee it is a thing of beauty! It is a 3" stainless HKS Silent catback exahust. Here are some pics.
S5002307.jpg

S5002305.jpg
I was going to wait to put it on untill I orderd my 3" berk down pipe, but I am like 6 years old and can't wait so I am going to put it on tonight. So excited. :D I will add some pics latter with it installed and maybe even a sound video.

Sal

Very nice man. I have the same exhaust on my 205. Sounds great! Not too loud, just the way I like it!

Enjoy :)

tintman22

I got it installed last night. It looks really good. It sounds nice at start up, but I do have to say it is a little quiter then I thought it would be. I dont want it too loud but it seems to get quieter the higher the RPM. Not a big differance from stock. I drove home last night a little disapointed, but a smile started to form @ 3000RPM with the turbo spooling up. It sound pretty good in the car.I think when I add the 3" down pipe and mid pipe it will be sound perfect. Also on the bottom of the exahust it has a jasma stamp, and no were on the exahust could I find a HKS stamp. Did I get a knock off? I looked on the internet and found that the jasma stamp is an organization the keep the nosie down on the exahusts in japan. Thats why it is so quiet, Damn you Jasma Damn you!! :bangshead:

just chiming in on this post. I have the old Hi-power HKS on my st185. its mild steel with stainless can. sadly the secondary resonator you see in the pic is also mild steel and the packing has been spewing out of my exhaust every now and then. Can't figure out if its form the muffler or the resonator. Nevertheless, the exhaust has gotten louder for sure! too loud for me actually. Its a lower tone loud so it could have been worse if it was a higher pitched sound. i'm actually wanting to replace it with the new all stainless silent hi power like this one in this post. So, in summary, hi power is louder. an older hi power louder still :lol:

tintman22

Sal":14sjy4wd said:
Here's a video of my exhaust. Is it similar to yours?

Mine does not sound that good. It acctully gets quieter as you rev it up. I will try to make a sound clip soon.

I have this on my celica too. I bought mine Brand new from 935. Ill try to take a video clip of the car and exhaust sound sometime soon.

cozmic512

FWIW there is no more Hi-Power.
HKS only makes the Silent Hi power version for alltracs.
Im not sure if they make it for other cars either as I think it got kind of phased out by Jasma.
I had the older, mild steel hi power with stock midpipe and 2.5 dp.
Now I have the silent version with a 3" dp, 3" mp with no cat,
and it is noticeably louder than the old version.
I think they threw the word silent in front as a sort of middle finger to jasma.
but what do I know...
also, dont forget that there is a silencer. most dont come with it, but I have heard of a few with them in...

tintman22

So after driving a few days with the new exhaust on I am loving it. All I wanted was to here my engine a bit more. In my 300zx I had a catback and I could drive for hours just listing to the sound of the exhaust, who needs a radio!! It is not quite as load as my 300zx but once I do the rest of the exhaust I think it will be at the perfect level.

shadowlife25

cozmic512":z3k4kngn said:
FWIW there is no more Hi-Power.
HKS only makes the Silent Hi power version for alltracs.
Im not sure if they make it for other cars either as I think it got kind of phased out by Jasma.
I had the older, mild steel hi power with stock midpipe and 2.5 dp.
Now I have the silent version with a 3" dp, 3" mp with no cat,
and it is noticeably louder than the old version.
I think they threw the word silent in front as a sort of middle finger to jasma.
but what do I know...
also, dont forget that there is a silencer. most dont come with it, but I have heard of a few with them in...

The SILENT Hi-Power variant actually has additional baffling in the muffler portion.
The resonator sections on them are the same internally.

You can always add a "silencer" to the tip, but as Meurz points out, you would need to drill holes for it.

JASMA = CARB but for Japan.

I just had my HKS SILENT Hi-Power tested at a BAR facility due to a ticket.

California limit is 95dB

Mine passed at 94.1dB @ 4500RPM

Stock Cat/DP
3' MP
HKS SILENT Hi-Power "Cat-back"

Keep in mind that using an aftermarket DP will likely greatly affect this reading.

cozmic512

wow, 94.1 huh.
Ill have to put in a cat or another pre silencer to run limerock.
the new db limit up there is 90.

so hks does still make the hi power for other cars??