POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby Simba » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:19 pm

toayoztan wrote:One question though, would you recommend getting the OEM coating off? If not, that would be great. If so, that will suck, but I guess I'll need to do it.


Depends. If it's in good shape and not damaged, leave it alone. If it is in any way damaged, you'll have to remove the damaged area (likely will have rust under it) and peel the coating back a ways until there are no traces of water. Then clean/dry and really work as much paint as you can into the seam between the metal and coating. I've done a few spots like this and they've remained happy so far.

Areas that have coating that have been saturated in oil should really be removed and cleaned properly.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!

Lots of fast, loud things.
User avatar
Simba
Established Member
 
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby toayoztan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 pm

1 quart of gloss black and 1 quart of metal ready.

Will I really need more?

I plan to use this on my subframes most likely too, instead of powdercoating them, since they aren't readily available pieces I can remove to coat.

Actually I plan to coat my fuel tank too....maybe I should get 2 quarts each. 2 quarts is 45 a piece, or 1 gallonfor 145. I don't see myself using a gallon.

Thanks!

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby WarTowels » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:57 pm

I'd get two quarts over a gallon anyway, because if this stuff isn't sealed 100% in the can, it will harden very easily and ruin a good amount of paint.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
User avatar
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God
 
Posts: 6443
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:30 am
Location: I live in a garage.

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby Simba » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:37 pm

You'll need two quarts if you intend to do everything. I doubt you'll need a gallon unless you're also doing all the suspension parts, crossmembers, etc, etc.

Hammer a plastic bag between the lid and can when you close it, it'll prevent the paint from going off, and prevent the lid from welding itself on.

Also, get a good respirator if you don't already have one. You don't want to be breathing the metal ready fumes. Make sure whatever it is has filters that can actually remove the fumes, not just a dust mask. As well, wear full face protection when working with it under the car.

Lots of fast, loud things.
User avatar
Simba
Established Member
 
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby toayoztan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Cool, thanks guys!

I'll be taking pics of my tear down, rebuild, and this process.

I should probably start a project thread...

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby WarTowels » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:18 am

Gloves too! I got some funny looks in the office when my arms were covered in an invincible paint for the next... week after using this stuff.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
User avatar
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God
 
Posts: 6443
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:30 am
Location: I live in a garage.

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby TomsGT4 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm just about the try the Metal Ready & POR-15 combo.

The instructions on the Metal Ready bottle said to thoroughly rinse with water after applying it and letting it dry for 20 seconds,
which I didn't fully get. So I found this as an fyi.

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/in ... opic=29491
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"
Image

______________________________
User avatar
TomsGT4
Established Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: SouthWest Ontario

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby toayoztan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:37 am

TomsGT4 wrote:I'm just about the try the Metal Ready & POR-15 combo.

The instructions on the Metal Ready bottle said to thoroughly rinse with water after applying it and letting it dry for 20 seconds,
which I didn't fully get. So I found this as an fyi.

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/in ... opic=29491


Cool, thanks for the heads up. I have all the stuff sitting in my living room, waiting to be put on. I almost got done stripping my car out, just have the fuel tank and lines (i've been busy with tests the last 3 weeks, but will be resuming in the near near future!).

I'm still debating if i should do the undercoat before or after my body/paint job...i'm somewhat opting for afterwards. This may sound illogical, but i'd like to ensure the underside is clean as a whistle while I put everything back on, and I can always maske off areas near the underchassis where I would be coating...

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby TomsGT4 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:07 pm

No prob. I'm glad to see others are trying to keep their cars looking good also :)

toayoztan wrote:I'm still debating if i should do the undercoat before or after my body/paint job...i'm somewhat opting for afterwards. This may sound illogical, but i'd like to ensure the underside is clean as a whistle while I put everything back on, and I can always maske off areas near the underchassis where I would be coating...

Bryan


Little confused. Isn't the cleanest surface (for the underbody) one that is freshly painted & completely cured?
I'd be afraid of spraying the undercoat especially around the engine bay after doing a paint job.
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"
Image

______________________________
User avatar
TomsGT4
Established Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: SouthWest Ontario

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby TomsGT4 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Oh and +1, and thanks Towels for the heads up on the gloves...

After test trying last night: The POR-15 WILL NOT COME OFF after it dries. I can't believe how adhesive that stuff is.
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"
Image

______________________________
User avatar
TomsGT4
Established Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: SouthWest Ontario

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby toayoztan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:31 pm

TomsGT4 wrote:No prob. I'm glad to see others are trying to keep their cars looking good also :)

toayoztan wrote:I'm still debating if i should do the undercoat before or after my body/paint job...i'm somewhat opting for afterwards. This may sound illogical, but i'd like to ensure the underside is clean as a whistle while I put everything back on, and I can always maske off areas near the underchassis where I would be coating...

Bryan


Little confused. Isn't the cleanest surface (for the underbody) one that is freshly painted & completely cured?
I'd be afraid of spraying the undercoat especially around the engine bay after doing a paint job.


I'm not spraying the por15 on, i'll be applying it with a brush.

What I mean by clean is, I don't want to clean the underside and put por15 on it, then get the car back after a paint/body job to find the underside with dirt/overspray/whatever. However, it wouldn't take much to just rinse and wash the underside either after getting it back from the shop, considering por15 would be already applied and should rinse down relatively easily.

However, he has to fix rust on my driver side rear quarter panel (where the mudflap would go), and i need to replace part of my passenger rocker panel. This would need to get done first before I can por15 the underside and appropriate areas, so I would have to getthe car back from him after going through the body shop...but then i'm not sure if that would hinder the prep process for painting. I'll need to talk with him about the plans. I really don't want to tow the car back and forth twice.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby TomsGT4 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:55 pm

Ahh I see. Sure, that makes sense then.

Actually that's what I'm doing right now-- quarter/rocker panels.
It started out as surface rust (at least that's what I thought), and ended up with some pretty good sized holes after blowing it all away with wire wheel.

After thinking it through a little, I don't think I'll use the Metal Ready on the interior of the rocker panel, or up inside the panels, because of the "rinse with water" directions.
I just don't like the idea of spraying water all in there & not be able to get it all dry.

In fact what do you think? Only use the Metal Ready where the bare metal is smooth, where it needs to be etched (for guaranteed adhesion)?
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"
Image

______________________________
User avatar
TomsGT4
Established Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: SouthWest Ontario

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby toayoztan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:05 pm

TomsGT4 wrote:Ahh I see. Sure, that makes sense then.

Actually that's what I'm doing right now-- quarter/rocker panels.
It started out as surface rust (at least that's what I thought), and ended up with some pretty good sized holes after blowing it all away with wire wheel.

After thinking it through a little, I don't think I'll use the Metal Ready on the interior of the rocker panel, or up inside the panels, because of the "rinse with water" directions.
I just don't like the idea of spraying water all in there & not be able to get it all dry.

In fact what do you think? Only use the Metal Ready where the bare metal is smooth, where it needs to be etched (for guaranteed adhesion)?


I'll be using Metal Ready for the underside of the chassis and smooth areas. As for areas like the inside of the rocker panels (and maybe inside of rear quarter panel where rear speakers go), I may just use rust converter and the POR15.

I don't like the idea of having to rinse Metal Ready with water, followed by getting it completely dry before applying POR15, for hard to reach areas.

I'll have to look into a good rust converter.

Did you order a new rocker panel? I'm curious that, if you did, if you don't mind taking a picture of it? I'm curious about how the rocker panel comes apart around the door jamb area...it looks to be spot welded in a bunch of places, to which I can drill those out and cut off the rocker panel where needed. Then i'll make the same cuts on the new one and weld it into place and grind down the welds to smooth them out.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby TomsGT4 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:35 pm

toayoztan wrote:I'll be using Metal Ready for the underside of the chassis and smooth areas. As for areas like the inside of the rocker panels (and maybe inside of rear quarter panel where rear speakers go), I may just use rust converter and the POR15.

I don't like the idea of having to rinse Metal Ready with water, followed by getting it completely dry before applying POR15, for hard to reach areas.

I'll have to look into a good rust converter.
Bryan


Thanks. This is good as it sounds like we've come to a similar conclusion about this.

toayoztan wrote:Did you order a new rocker panel? I'm curious that, if you did, if you don't mind taking a picture of it? I'm curious about how the rocker panel comes apart around the door jamb area...it looks to be spot welded in a bunch of places, to which I can drill those out and cut off the rocker panel where needed. Then i'll make the same cuts on the new one and weld it into place and grind down the welds to smooth them out.
Bryan


There are no holes so large that I need a new rocker panel. They're small enough that I can glass over them without too much problem.
Though, I did buy 2 rocker panels for my Corolla for about $100 (but they were for the 4-door sedan, and I own a 2-door SR5 Coupe).
The reason for this is that unfortunately the rocker panel is welded in place from the factory and there are no replacement parts. I believe this is the case with the Celica also. Possibly all 2 door coupes?
That being said, maybe this might help you...
The rocker sold to me could be used to replace damaged surface: From where the carpet meets the chassis (under the door), wrapping around all the way under, to where the sheet metal comes together at the lip (where people like to jack up their cars & bend it to shit). Although the top half was of a "generic" completely different design (4-door sedan styling).
Fortunately I found that most Toyota rocker panels are the same for the bottom half (rounded part that meets up with the lip under the car). Happily, that's where cars usually rust out. So I ripped the rocker I bought in half and riveted only the bottom half to the car. Fit perfectly. I even used the sheet metal left over to patch other holes.
I do have a picture of that rocker panel (before it was cut) if you want, I can post it.

Now... just need a warmer day to get more painting done ~tomorrow should be 80º here :)
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"
Image

______________________________
User avatar
TomsGT4
Established Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: SouthWest Ontario

Re: POR15/Rust Bullet advice to coat underside?

Postby toayoztan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:40 pm

TomsGT4 wrote:There are no holes so large that I need a new rocker panel. They're small enough that I can glass over them without too much problem.
Though, I did buy 2 rocker panels for my Corolla for about $100 (but they were for the 4-door sedan, and I own a 2-door SR5 Coupe).
The reason for this is that unfortunately the rocker panel is welded in place from the factory and there are no replacement parts. I believe this is the case with the Celica also. Possibly all 2 door coupes?


You mention there is no factory replacement of the rocker panel for 2 door coupes...I think I'm a little confused on what you mean exactly. Toyota has the rocker panel available for the alltrac. however, i noticed that it extends back into behind the rear quarter panel. What I was going to do is drill out all the spot welds on the top (where the carpet "hooks on the lip") and drill out the spot welds on the bottom (the bottom lip area where people inappropriately put a jack), then cut the rocker panel straight through where it meets the rear door jamb area (hope this makes sense). I COULD just try to form the metal myself to patch up that hole, but i'm not sure how much of the rest of the rocker panel is starting to rot or is fragile. I really want to avoid the body shop on this one since A) my little brother is a hell of a welder and B) i'm pretty particular on how well things get done.

Fortunately I found that most Toyota rocker panels are the same for the bottom half (rounded part that meets up with the lip under the car). Happily, that's where cars usually rust out. So I ripped the rocker I bought in half and riveted only the bottom half to the car. Fit perfectly. I even used the sheet metal left over to patch other holes.
I do have a picture of that rocker panel (before it was cut) if you want, I can post it.


Yeah could you post up a pic of that rocker panel? If anything, I could just use the new rocker panel and cut out 'plates' from it to replace, if taking out the rocker panel on my alltrac isn't really that feasible.

Thanks for any help!

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests