Painting

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

Re: Painting

Postby toayoztan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:28 am

Yowzas wrote:
Having to stop to have the compressor catch up is not so much the issue, if you can't avoid it. 80 gallon 13scfm compressors are NOT cheap, the initial investment in that with the other equipment to paint your car, combined with your own labor...you won't be saving or offsetting much than to take it to a shop that can do it with experience for a little more.

That's a good point. I thought 80gal tanks are about a grand. and the rest probably shouldn't hit more than 2500 right? I'm just goign with toyota onyx black. Thanks for the tip on the compressor. Up till now I just thought you had to finish it as soon as you can. If you stopped half way on a panel it would dry and you'd get blochie paint. But technique is more important and anything else.

Again, main reason i want to learn is cause I'm tired of the devastation of getting to my car and seeing another door ding on it. At least if i know how to repair them I can brush it off and say I'll fix it later lol.

You will also lean things like sweeping, walking, holding this and that still, adjusting pressure and distance to maximize flow and reduce orange peel, etc.

What's important is technique, obviously somewhat adaquate equipment, practice on spare panels, and be sure to have good filters, and do NOT cheap out on the paint (the brand) and prep work.

THANKS! i didn't even think of that. got to figure out some sort of system if i paint my entire car where the hose hangs from the ceiling and it doesn't ever hit my car while I'm walking around painting it.

One question. If I put too much paint on one area, would the colour just be really dark? and I'd have to sand and repaint or would it just be thicker and take longer to dry then I can just sand it down?

No, this only happens with candy clears/top coats (at least in powder coating anyway). Solid colors do not exhibit this effect, unless you actually put too little paint on to show the primer underneath. If you put too much on, you run the risk of runs/drips of the paint or very bad orange peel, in which you can color/wet sand down before applying clear.

Especially if you shoot with metallic color, you need to learn how to minimize "tiger striping," but you should be learning what that is and have it explained to you while going through the website. Briefly, you can avoid this by practicing your overlap and your "walk" technique by not sweeping with your wrists but walking the gun perpendicular to the body surface.

As for the hose and hanging it, not necessary. Just make sure you don't get cheap hoses that has a tendancy to bunch/coil up when you walk around the car. This usually occurs with the "plastic/vinyl hoses, I'd suggest nice rubber hoses (either way, just be careful).

Bryan
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby Sifu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:16 pm

I didn't read every article so please forgive me if I'm repeating some aspects. This is heavily fragmented because I'm holding my baby in one arm so again bear with me.

First off the compressor...
As stated you don't need a high HP or large tank BUT you will NEVER hear your tools complain for air from a larger and beefier compressor that pumps out higher CFMs without hiccuping. Just remember that the compressors HP is more useful for filling the tank. Get a decent sized tank that you can afford (larger the better). Imagine that you're going to use this for more than painting. Most automotive work requires less CFM but anything painting, buffing, sanding will require much higher CFMs (just so the compressor can keep up). You'd hate to stop halfway during a spray to wait for the compressor to fill up.

I still prefer oil vs. non oiled.

There are your standard 110V and 220V outlets that you need to consider. If your garage doesn't have 220v outlet you will need to have someone put it in (I've heard people do it but honestly I've never liked electrical fixes) so that's extra money. When I asked I think it was going to cost me over $500+ (cheap if you ask me) to put two in my garage. With the extra plugs my circuit would need to be beefed up as well so I opted NOT getting the 220V compressors (but hey are SO nice) because if my wires can't handle the load they'll constantly keep tripping.

I'd run a moisture separator and oiler so your tools will last longer. The one I purchased has a water collector, oiler and separate line for painting (you don't want oil in your paint line). It's roughly another $100+ but well worth the investment. If you're painting you should also run a few catch filters at the end of the line unless you have a really nice separator.

Now the gun...
I'm in the process of purchasing a HVLP spray gun. Although I'd love to rock a SATA ($300~$500+ for one gun) my budget will probably send me towards a Devilbliss ($200 for gun and some accessories) setup. If you can borrow a decent spray gun do it because I can ONLY justify spending gobs of money on a spray gun, tips, cups, etc. because unless you're really going to be doing this often it's not worth the extra money. I'm starting out with a low/mid level gun and seeing if I like it.

ETC...
Those are the easy things. The rest of your money and time will be spent prepping and purchasing small things like paper, tape, paint, wipes, fans, plastic, car parts, panels, welder, etc. These things add up REAL fast...

If I were to price everything just to get started with a compressor it would easily cost over $1,500+ for the compressor and parts (hoses, hose reel, fittings, swivel fittings, couplings, some basic tools like impact gun, ratchet, grinder, buffer). Add at least $300 for a decent paint gun (tips, cups, paint) and goodness who knows how much for the other small stuff like tape, covers, paint, filler, sandpaper, etc (just make it a nice $500). Pray your car doesn't have rust because now I'm looking at a decent welder (add another $800+ to that).

I know people can argue about costs and what not but these are basics. It's like budgeting for children; no matter HOW much you save you never really can save enough for it. Just be reasonable and have a budget so you don't go into debt.

Sorry it's long, hope this helps...
1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby Yowzas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:13 pm

Honestly I love it when the replies are long lol.
Gives me so much more information. And on projects likes this you can never have enough.

I had my eye on a 60gal compressor... because it had wheels lol.
I'm using my parents garage for this project but I'm planning on buying my own place soon so I'd like the versatility. I was doing research on the compressors, I found a good one from an old dude off youtube. He had a 80gal compressor and he was working on his BMW. he explained things like bolting the compressor to the ground because it rattles like crazy and having to run the air through a long distance pipe to keep the air cool. Then i think he mentioned somethign about the filters as well.

Seems like a lot of work. I'm looking at my car now and thinking how am I going to do that?? lol. but I still would like to try it. for the rear I've been thinking of just masking off the entire hatch, otherwise I'd have to remove the spoiler and stuff. Hopefully there isnt' any paint mismatch on the stock paint.

I'm also planning on building somethign around the car to keep dust out to let it dry.
think that's a waste of time?

My budget for this learning experience was about $3000. I'm starting to think about going to a prep class at a college for this and taking a 12 week course on it. Should I do that? or learn through trial and error?

Thanks for everyone input!
Rawr Rawr rawr

91 Celica Gt4 RC
Edmonton, AB
Yowzas
Club Member

Postby Sifu » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:19 pm

A makeshift paint booth is great. I was thinking of converting some Sam's/Wally World cheap tents into booths and just use painters cover to enclose it while running 2 fans (1 for the in and the other for the out).

Taking classes couldn't hurt, the more practice the better you'll get.
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby Dups90gt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:41 pm

I just finished painting my car in my garage, its the 3rd car i've painted in this garage. I have 2 guns HPLV one for primer and 1 for paint. I only takes about 1 hour to paint a car, its quick and easy, you can use enamel with the top coat already added or you can use urathane and paint the top coat later, that takes a bit longer and more skill but is more forgiving. Anyone can paint a car but I must stress that its the prep that makes or brakes how your car will look. If you do a rush job on the prep then your car will look half assed, I took me 3 weeks to prep my trac and about 1 hour to paint. My prelude took 2 weeks to prep and about 45mins to paint, my tercel was took 5 weeks to prep (coz I was driving it daily and only did it after work) and about 3 hours to paint, this was done with urathane and top coat, it takes more to paint but you can let it dry, fix errors and then repaint, with enamel you get one shot and thats it, it you mess up you have to wait a few weeks for the paint to cure before you can spray anymore paint or it will wrinkle and you will spend hours sanding the shit down. use HPLV guns (High pressure low volume guns that are top feed and you can get away with a smaller compressor)

I dont have pics of the trac yet but heres the prelude, just cover the garage in plastic from home depot , the stuff you use on the walls then spray the floor with water before you paint to prevent dust from flying up as you spray.
This sunroof was rusted to shit! I had to rebuild it with fiberglass after cutting out all the rusty parts.

It can be done, I got a compressor for 300, paint guns for 90 each and a hose and fittings for about 40, paint will run you for 300 to 500 (including thinner, hardener and reducer and the kind of paint you choose), if you dont have body work to be done then you're lucky! you just need some sand paper to sand off the shine on your current car and some waterproof sand peper to smooth everything down. It can be done just dont rush and take your time to prep! I cant stress how important prep is!!! if you get tired sanding and say 'f*** it! noone will notice that' stop and continue tomorrow because YOU will notice it and it will stand out like a sore thumb!

Good Luck!
Dups90gt
Club Member

Postby Sifu » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:15 am

What kind of spray guns did you end up purchasing?

What nozzle spray tips did/do you use for primer, base, candy, clear, etc?
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods