Sunroof delete

toayoztan

Okay, so i know there's a thread on this somewhere, but the search function sucks (for me...wasn't getting anything).

In any case, I was curious about deleting the sunroof.

At the stage of where the body/paint job is at, I can still delete the sunroof. I was curious if simply welding in the sunroof panel to the roof, and grinding the welds down, would work?

And secondly, will a headliner from a non-sunroof celica workf? I know we have our roof sit lower to fit the sunroof itself, so i'm not sure if the non-sunroof headliner would work?

And what about the map lights/sunroof controls...I'm guessing I'll have to get a map light from a non-sunroof celica also (more than likely, the salvage).

Thanks!

Bryan

Please dont do this to a 93 (if your siggy is correct)
All of them came with sunroofs. If you were to do this you might want
to reskin the roof? I am guessing that you would want to drop the
entire sunroof assembly (it a pan that bolts to the roof of the car) to reduce
the weight and get headroom back.

toayoztan

Ah i didn't realize (well, didn't look hard enough) that the sunroof pan could be dropped out.

Yeah I realize it's a 93 and that was a concern for me, but the sunroof is the reason why i had the rocker panels rusted out in the first place. Not really looking to deal with all that.

If there's a way I could have the sunroof panel in place, but sealed with some weather stripping or something simliar, I wouldn't mind that. I'll have to look into this a little bit more.

Then again, I may just clean up and regrease the hardware of the sunroof, and make sure the drain hoses are secure, and just keep it.

Just getting some ideas on what options I have.

Not really looking for a skin over the roof either.

Bryan

Celi-GT4

you can fab up to use the skin as the cover and maybe caulk in the seam to make it weather proof. You also can use a GT or ST headliner with minor triming to work in the car (i did) the light wiring may need to be extended and rigged to fit as it mounts in a slightly different location on the st/gt. You will drop a bit of wieght (~40lbs) from this mod.

darthripley

To really do it the right way I would get a roof skin from a hardtop model & have it welded on like what Griffin did on his alltrac.
If I knew a really good body person I would ditch the sunroof in a heartbeat but I don't so it's just going to stay for now.

lumbercis

toayoztan":2z2yuiie said:
...the sunroof is the reason why i had the rocker panels rusted out in the first place.

No, the reason the rocker panels rusted out was poor maintenance. There are plenty of cars running around with sunroofs and unrusted rocker panels. However, if the sunroof seals are leaking and you ignore it, then yes, you will get rust.

Fix the rust, replace sunroof seals. Done.

J.