What color to paint my 92?

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

What color to paint my 92?

White (Original Color)
12
57%
Black (Color car is currently painted)
2
10%
Dark Gray/Graphite Color that comes on the new Camaro
5
24%
Some other color
2
10%
 
Total votes : 21

What color to paint my 92?

Postby dragstang86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:06 am

I am having trouble deciding what color to paint my 92. It was originally white. A previous owner had it repainted black like 10 years ago. It is getting repainted regardless. I like the black but part of me wants to go back to the original color and I have seen some nice looking white ST185's on here the last couple days. I have also considered just getting away from factory colors completely and doing like a dark gray and have even considered going Toyota Speedway blue that comes on the newer Tacoma's. I am actually in the process of having one of my drag cars painted that color now and I really like it. I never see any bright blue all tracs but not so sure I'd like it. I think I am going to go with a wheel like the XXR 502's or 526's. Black with a polished lip. It has the RC front bumper and have yet to make up my mind on which hood. Looking for some opinions!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
92 All trac
dragstang86
Club Member
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 am
Location: Severn, MD

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby BoostedBlueToyotas » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:49 pm

I voted white. Maybe a nice pearl (like on lexus ISF ?)
Tim Plessing
Columbia, MD

1990 ST185 - blue/blue cloth 152K-SOLD
1993 MR2 turbo - blue/black leather 59K TOTALLED/PARTING OUT
2006 Acura TSX - black/black 6 spd
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW Space blue/Silver roof 39k
2006 Mini Cooper JCW Silver/black roof 34k
BoostedBlueToyotas
Established Member
 
Posts: 2663
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Columbia, MD

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby alltracst185 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:14 pm

OEM white! The car will be worth more in the long run, like when you restore cars :wink:
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
User avatar
alltracst185
Established Member
 
Posts: 2994
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Fitchburg, MA

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby dragstang86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:25 pm

alltracst185 wrote:OEM white! The car will be worth more in the long run, like when you restore cars :wink:


That was one of my big thoughts as well. The car is in pretty good shape but I have decided to go ahead and give it a full restoration. I want it to look like it did when it came off the showroom floor but with wheel/brake/suspension/engine and turbo upgrades lol. I want to keep the interior looking as original as possible with the exception of a couple gauges. I would really like find a 93 one day that is stock or close to stock that I can restore to all original condition. The 92 I have now already had a ton of money in mods in it when I got it, so I figured I mind as well make this one fun to drive.
92 All trac
dragstang86
Club Member
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 am
Location: Severn, MD

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby Celicatuner92 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:36 pm

I voted white because I have always like the white tracs. White rc conversion would be even better.
90 St185_DD actual car seen on tirerack.com
90 St185_ race car
92 Celica Gt_Runnig
Image
User avatar
Celicatuner92
Club Member
 
Posts: 404
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:22 pm
Location: elkhart

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby dragstang86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Celicatuner92 wrote:I voted white because I have always like the white tracs. White rc conversion would be even better.


I do have the RC bumper and have been debating on which hood I like better. Wonder what it would like white with the black wheels/polished lip and carbon hood. Either the all trac hood or the RC hood. hmm
92 All trac
dragstang86
Club Member
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 am
Location: Severn, MD

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby lumbercis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:57 am

White. It's also from what I have seen the rarest of the "big three" colors. Brand new white paint also just looks incredible when it's polished up.

Some inspiration courtesy of sikx5 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17068&p=216964#p216964

J
Caldina powered...
Image
lumbercis
Gold Member
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby dragstang86 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:10 am

lumbercis wrote:White. It's also from what I have seen the rarest of the "big three" colors. Brand new white paint also just looks incredible when it's polished up.

Some inspiration courtesy of sikx5 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17068&p=216964#p216964

J


I was just thinking it seems to me that out of the the "big three" it seems the most are red, then black, and the fewest white. Is that how it seems to you as well?
92 All trac
dragstang86
Club Member
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 am
Location: Severn, MD

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby lumbercis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Yeah, that seems to be the way it breaks down...people loved red for these cars it seems. Red's probably my least favorite, although Meurz' car is drool-worthy.

White is probably hard to do "right" as it's easy to make it look bland with the wrong wheel choices or bad paint maintenance. But just follow sikx5's example and it'll be one of the best looking cars on the forums.

Best White: sikx5
Best Red: Meurz
Best Black: Pat
Caldina powered...
Image
lumbercis
Gold Member
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby dragstang86 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:21 pm

lumbercis wrote:Yeah, that seems to be the way it breaks down...people loved red for these cars it seems. Red's probably my least favorite, although Meurz' car is drool-worthy.

White is probably hard to do "right" as it's easy to make it look bland with the wrong wheel choices or bad paint maintenance. But just follow sikx5's example and it'll be one of the best looking cars on the forums.

Best White: sikx5
Best Red: Meurz
Best Black: Pat


I'm not big on Red either. That one for sale in NY looks good though. Not sure if that's Meurz or not. I'm still thinking a black wheel with polished lip even with the white. Something like what is on Landon's car. I'll have to search for some pics of sikx5's car.
92 All trac
dragstang86
Club Member
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 am
Location: Severn, MD

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby BoostedBlueToyotas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 am

I dont think any of us are buying Muerz car even if its for sale (he is in Europe)

Note on what hood to use, the RC hood only works with the WTA intercooler. It will cut off air flow to the stock ATA.
Tim Plessing
Columbia, MD

1990 ST185 - blue/blue cloth 152K-SOLD
1993 MR2 turbo - blue/black leather 59K TOTALLED/PARTING OUT
2006 Acura TSX - black/black 6 spd
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW Space blue/Silver roof 39k
2006 Mini Cooper JCW Silver/black roof 34k
BoostedBlueToyotas
Established Member
 
Posts: 2663
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Columbia, MD

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby dragstang86 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:42 am

BoostedBlueToyotas wrote:I dont think any of us are buying Muerz car even if its for sale (he is in Europe)

Note on what hood to use, the RC hood only works with the WTA intercooler. It will cut off air flow to the stock ATA.


It has a front mount intercooler on it so it is just a cosmetic decision I have to make. I'm not sure how much I like the idea of my manifold and turbo being exposed to all the elements with the RC hood though.
92 All trac
dragstang86
Club Member
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 am
Location: Severn, MD

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby GT4times2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:37 am

dragstang86 wrote:
lumbercis wrote:Yeah, that seems to be the way it breaks down...people loved red for these cars it seems. Red's probably my least favorite, although Meurz' car is drool-worthy.

White is probably hard to do "right" as it's easy to make it look bland with the wrong wheel choices or bad paint maintenance. But just follow sikx5's example and it'll be one of the best looking cars on the forums.

Best White: sikx5
Best Red: Meurz
Best Black: Pat


I'm not big on Red either. That one for sale in NY looks good though. Not sure if that's Meurz or not. I'm still thinking a black wheel with polished lip even with the white. Something like what is on Landon's car. I'll have to search for some pics of sikx5's car.


I'd stick with the white. It also helps that your car was white to begin with. I'm not the biggest fan of the red that came on the 90-93 Alltracs, although the right red would do the car justice. (Think along the lines of the Honda Milano red, or Audi's Amulet red). Black and gray come after. I convinced myself to keep the maroon/burgundy my car came with. I've never been a fan of maroon/burgundy colors, but learned to like it, and with the right sets of wheels (2 sets/car~ :) ) it can look badass. (It desperately needs a paint job. Just no time to strip it myself)
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE (The Daily Pacifier)
05 Toyota Avalon XLS
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member
 
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:21 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby dragstang86 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 am

After looking at a bunch of pictures of sikx5's car, wow I think I am sold on returning the car to white. I love the gold wheels on his car too and it led me to another idea. I was planning on going with a black wheel with a polished lip like the XXR 526's because I really like the look of a flush wheel with a lip like Landon's car but also really like the gold like on sikx5's car. So my idea is get a wheel like a XXR 526 but have the centers powder coated gold, so gold with a polished lip. What do you guys think of that on a white car?
92 All trac
dragstang86
Club Member
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 am
Location: Severn, MD

Re: What color to paint my 92?

Postby GT4times2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:22 am

dragstang86 wrote:After looking at a bunch of pictures of sikx5's car, wow I think I am sold on returning the car to white. I love the gold wheels on his car too and it led me to another idea. I was planning on going with a black wheel with a polished lip like the XXR 526's because I really like the look of a flush wheel with a lip like Landon's car but also really like the gold like on sikx5's car. So my idea is get a wheel like a XXR 526 but have the centers powder coated gold, so gold with a polished lip. What do you guys think of that on a white car?



Get the offset and ride height right, it should look really nice. Looking at the 521s myself. Gold/polished lips on a black or white car always looks good. Cant go wrong. Anyone want to photoshop some pics of a white/black or maroon Alltrac with the XXR 521 and 526s? :)
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE (The Daily Pacifier)
05 Toyota Avalon XLS
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member
 
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:21 pm
Location: Florida

Next

Return to Exterior Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests