What color to paint my 92?

What color to paint my 92?

• Black (Color car is currently painted)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • White (Original Color)

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Dark Gray/Graphite Color that comes on the new Camaro

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Some other color

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

dragstang86

I am having trouble deciding what color to paint my 92. It was originally white. A previous owner had it repainted black like 10 years ago. It is getting repainted regardless. I like the black but part of me wants to go back to the original color and I have seen some nice looking white ST185's on here the last couple days. I have also considered just getting away from factory colors completely and doing like a dark gray and have even considered going Toyota Speedway blue that comes on the newer Tacoma's. I am actually in the process of having one of my drag cars painted that color now and I really like it. I never see any bright blue all tracs but not so sure I'd like it. I think I am going to go with a wheel like the XXR 502's or 526's. Black with a polished lip. It has the RC front bumper and have yet to make up my mind on which hood. Looking for some opinions!

dragstang86

alltracst185":1scazb5s said:
OEM white! The car will be worth more in the long run, like when you restore cars :wink:

That was one of my big thoughts as well. The car is in pretty good shape but I have decided to go ahead and give it a full restoration. I want it to look like it did when it came off the showroom floor but with wheel/brake/suspension/engine and turbo upgrades lol. I want to keep the interior looking as original as possible with the exception of a couple gauges. I would really like find a 93 one day that is stock or close to stock that I can restore to all original condition. The 92 I have now already had a ton of money in mods in it when I got it, so I figured I mind as well make this one fun to drive.

dragstang86

Celicatuner92":3l1g9ocj said:
I voted white because I have always like the white tracs. White rc conversion would be even better.

I do have the RC bumper and have been debating on which hood I like better. Wonder what it would like white with the black wheels/polished lip and carbon hood. Either the all trac hood or the RC hood. hmm

dragstang86

lumbercis":1zh9m8sk said:
White. It's also from what I have seen the rarest of the "big three" colors. Brand new white paint also just looks incredible when it's polished up.

Some inspiration courtesy of sikx5 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17068&p=216964#p216964

J

I was just thinking it seems to me that out of the the "big three" it seems the most are red, then black, and the fewest white. Is that how it seems to you as well?

lumbercis

Yeah, that seems to be the way it breaks down...people loved red for these cars it seems. Red's probably my least favorite, although Meurz' car is drool-worthy.

White is probably hard to do "right" as it's easy to make it look bland with the wrong wheel choices or bad paint maintenance. But just follow sikx5's example and it'll be one of the best looking cars on the forums.

Best White: sikx5
Best Red: Meurz
Best Black: Pat

dragstang86

lumbercis":22fjz2i6 said:
Yeah, that seems to be the way it breaks down...people loved red for these cars it seems. Red's probably my least favorite, although Meurz' car is drool-worthy.

White is probably hard to do "right" as it's easy to make it look bland with the wrong wheel choices or bad paint maintenance. But just follow sikx5's example and it'll be one of the best looking cars on the forums.

I'm not big on Red either. That one for sale in NY looks good though. Not sure if that's Meurz or not. I'm still thinking a black wheel with polished lip even with the white. Something like what is on Landon's car. I'll have to search for some pics of sikx5's car.

I dont think any of us are buying Muerz car even if its for sale (he is in Europe)

Note on what hood to use, the RC hood only works with the WTA intercooler. It will cut off air flow to the stock ATA.

dragstang86

BoostedBlueToyotas":6hwdhgzk said:
I dont think any of us are buying Muerz car even if its for sale (he is in Europe)

Note on what hood to use, the RC hood only works with the WTA intercooler. It will cut off air flow to the stock ATA.

It has a front mount intercooler on it so it is just a cosmetic decision I have to make. I'm not sure how much I like the idea of my manifold and turbo being exposed to all the elements with the RC hood though.

GT4times2

dragstang86":15f81z3h said:
lumbercis":15f81z3h said:

I'm not big on Red either. That one for sale in NY looks good though. Not sure if that's Meurz or not. I'm still thinking a black wheel with polished lip even with the white. Something like what is on Landon's car. I'll have to search for some pics of sikx5's car.

I'd stick with the white. It also helps that your car was white to begin with. I'm not the biggest fan of the red that came on the 90-93 Alltracs, although the right red would do the car justice. (Think along the lines of the Honda Milano red, or Audi's Amulet red). Black and gray come after. I convinced myself to keep the maroon/burgundy my car came with. I've never been a fan of maroon/burgundy colors, but learned to like it, and with the right sets of wheels (2 sets/car~ :) ) it can look badass. (It desperately needs a paint job. Just no time to strip it myself)

dragstang86

After looking at a bunch of pictures of sikx5's car, wow I think I am sold on returning the car to white. I love the gold wheels on his car too and it led me to another idea. I was planning on going with a black wheel with a polished lip like the XXR 526's because I really like the look of a flush wheel with a lip like Landon's car but also really like the gold like on sikx5's car. So my idea is get a wheel like a XXR 526 but have the centers powder coated gold, so gold with a polished lip. What do you guys think of that on a white car?

GT4times2

dragstang86":o8be3hdl said:
After looking at a bunch of pictures of sikx5's car, wow I think I am sold on returning the car to white. I love the gold wheels on his car too and it led me to another idea. I was planning on going with a black wheel with a polished lip like the XXR 526's because I really like the look of a flush wheel with a lip like Landon's car but also really like the gold like on sikx5's car. So my idea is get a wheel like a XXR 526 but have the centers powder coated gold, so gold with a polished lip. What do you guys think of that on a white car?

Get the offset and ride height right, it should look really nice. Looking at the 521s myself. Gold/polished lips on a black or white car always looks good. Cant go wrong. Anyone want to photoshop some pics of a white/black or maroon Alltrac with the XXR 521 and 526s? :)

dragstang86

GT4times2":ps9wk15a said:
dragstang86":ps9wk15a said:
I am thinking these wheels would look really good with gold centers. Do 18x9.5 +35 in the front and 18x9.5 +12 in the rear

http://www.rotawheels.com/wheels.asp?wheelid=70

Looks like Rota is getting agressive with the offsets for 5x100 patterns. Nice!!

Yea I am pretty sold on those wheels. If they will do gold with a polished lip I think I'm definitely going to get them and return the car to white. I have seen these exact wheels with bronze and polished lip and gun metal w/ polished lip and have seen gold with polished lip on a bunch of other rota wheels, hopefully they will do it on these too!