Ideas for 165 hood vents

concealer404

ZeroDrift":3hr55vnf said:
What about something like this:

S7004046.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

I've been following this build for a short while and its great inspiration! http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=333749

Keep the ideas flowing!

Did he buy that vent? I'm thinking that's what needs to go on my car.

UtahSleeper

Also, just trying to get ideas, the hood on the car has a square cut into it. Curious if anyone has any ideas on how I could maybe use this. Any stock vent types? Or maybe try and fiberglass something? Probably just going to get a new hood, but checking my options.

This is her cut hood. It is even on bothe sides, so if I made something work, it would be dead center.

010.JPG

bmt

Mine came with holes cut in it and mesh between the frame and the skin of the bonnet. You can see it in my build thread.

St215 motor + st205 gearbox into St165 JDM build

I am gonna change it but it is a cheap way to vent your bonnet. I wouldn't do it as mine is done with a hole right above the turbo though! When the car is parked rain goes straight onto the hot turbo, not good. I think with a bit of forethought you may come up with something a bit prettier.

Easiest way to cut it would be EITHER,
A jigsaw, but put masking tape, (At least two layers), over your bonnet where you are gonna cut to avoid the sole plate of the jigsaw scratching the hell out of your bonnet.

or you can use a 1mm cut off wheel but this will only do straight cuts and will burn the edge of the hole. MAKE SURE YOU COVER YOUR WINDCREEN!! The sparks burn into the glass and ruin it.

Best if you remove your bonnet from the car for both methods.

UtahSleeper

I may try some vents off a Grand Prix. Early 90's were boxy, so they may be an option. I just need to spend a day walking around a junkyard.

Worst case scenario I will be cutting a hood and making vents with a mesh material. Just need a good looking way to let heat escape and not get alot of crap under the hood.

ZeroDrift

I've got an idea for a hood vent. Pictures and details to come this week!

Bumping this thread to see what others are doing?!

UtahSleeper

Looking forward to your idea. I am still kicking ideas around, but wont take priority till I get her running. When that happens I will buy a hood and figure out vents.

ZeroDrift

So here is some background aero research I've done on one of my older cars. The design is similar up front in many ways. I've started doing actual research on the 'Trac and once I finish my findings I will post up the results.

Quoting myself from NASIOC.
ZeroDrift":1pypvciu said:
I had an '86 Rx7. The shape and size of the hood vent played a large role in the cars aerodynamics. I bought a few spare hoods and made different designed vents. I did come across a design that actually helped front end stability, but it was through a fair amount of trial and error. I'll briefly mention my designs and results.

Design 1: Evo style open vented hood w/ no ducting.
Results: Front end lift at freeway speeds, and much lower under-hood temps while at low speeds.

Design 2: Traditional drop vent hood w/ no upper air guide.
Results: More front end lift at freeway speeds due to a larger low pressure pocket of air. Engine bay temps slightly greater than above design with greater stability in coolant temps.

Design 3: Traditional drop vent hood w/ a full duct and smaller exit than entrance.
Results: Front end was more stable than above designs and felt superior to an un-vented hood. Much more stable coolant temps under load.

First 2 pictures are of Design 1, and show the space available.

dsc01764e.jpg

dsc01772d.jpg

aerocomparison.jpg

Pressure zones seen below (Rx7): When inside the car, its high pressure, when outside the car lower pressure and higher airflow rates.

3326FCAirFlowSheet-med.jpg

aeroinfo.jpg

The proposed MR2 vent will act much like my third design by causing the air to lift in a high velocity (low pressure) area of the hood. What is below the hood vent location is most likely to be a higher pressure area since the front of the car is effectively ramming the air into the engine bay. I will be verifying this information on the Alltrac though.
So by having the vent above the turbo, we should have an ideal low pressure zone, with a likely high pressure zone right below it. This is also the hottest part of the engine bay; the turbocharger. So if everything works out, this may very well be an elegant solution to our car's high under-hood temp issues.

UtahSleeper

Curious how this will turn out for you. I hope to start working on mine at the end of the month and still tossing ideas around in my head.

Plus something like this would give a potentially much cleaner install.

UtahSleeper

So, any luck.

I may end up going with a Mafix vent at the front and then and small universal vents at the back. Just an idea at the time.

ZeroDrift

Won't be installing the vent until I am ready to install my new turbo. Few weeks estimates at this point in time. However I will post up my initial aero findings shortly.