RC Bumper questions.

RyDaGriff

I am just wanting to be certain exactly what parts are needed for the RC bumper conversion. If someone could indicate on this picture which parts I will need, that would be awesome!

GT4Bumper_Layout.jpg

Corey

The parts and associated part numbers are on that picture - bottom left.

You will also want all the nuts that go with it. Those part numbers are on the picture with the number required in bracket ( )

Corey

RyDaGriff

Are any of these parts transferable from the stock bumper. Obviously 52021 isn't but I'm sure the other parts maybe. I have read that a lot of people don't use 52021 because it is considered nearly pointless as far a protection is concerned but what about for the support of the fascia? I have considered fabricating my own 52021. Any thoughts?

Corey

Your right, 52021 is probably less than useless for front end protection. But it is the most beneficial part of the entire bumper when it comes to performance.

It's a large drop in weight, and its at the very front of the car so it really helps turn in performance when swapped with the old heavy steel crash bar.

It isn't required to support the bumper cover - the cover doesn't bolt to it in any way. You can make your own out of alumium or steel if you like. Check out Dudeman's project thread for pictures of his custom crash bar.

You don't need the bumper cover clip strips which secure the cover edges to the fender. You can use your old ones by drilling out the rivets and transferring the strips over to the RC cover. Just needs new rivets.

RyDaGriff

Thanks. So really, I could just get away with buying the fascia and then swapping on parts from my stock bumper and fabbing up my own crash bar, correct?

Corey

Right.

Absolute bare minimum would be the cover. Don't "need" the black plastic grill pieces or the upper metal cover support.

But without that support the top of the bumper cover will start to sag. And that support is not the same as the standard bumper.

The support number is the "reinforcement #2" in that picture.

underscore

how do you guys attach the plastic underbody pieces without the mesh grilles? Someone chopped mine up but used it to bolt the plastics to.

RyDaGriff

So 52029 is different from the USDM version? And not having it will cause the bumper to sag? I guess I'll put that on my list too. Thanks.

Corey

RyDaGriff":39zfnxhb said:
So 52029 is different from the USDM version? And not having it will cause the bumper to sag? I guess I'll put that on my list too. Thanks.

That's right. I just ordered that piece myself because my cover was sagging.

underscore":39zfnxhb said:
how do you guys attach the plastic underbody pieces without the mesh grilles? Someone chopped mine up but used it to bolt the plastics to.

The lower plastic grill on the RC cover has all those studs which the grills is secured with. The studs are long enough that I could use nuts to secure the under covers to them.

I drilled holes in the location of the studs and they just bolt right up :) I also cut off those tabs which used to secure to the bottom of th ATA bumper.

aus jd 2703

Just to hijack a little bit.
Can I run the aluminum crash bar with a standard bumper cover? I want the clearance for an inter cooler but am a bit tight for cash ATM so thought just the crash bar?

temperacerguy

Corey Darling":27oowsd3 said:
Don't "need" the black plastic grill pieces

just an fyi. all of the grilles on the rc/cs are steel wire, not plastic. I just got mine and they are definitely black powdercoated steel

Corey Darling":27oowsd3 said:
But without that support the top of the bumper cover will start to sag. And that support is not the same as the standard bumper.

This I did not know... Time to order that as well :)

Corey

temperacerguy":1aomho5q said:
Corey Darling":1aomho5q said:
Don't "need" the black plastic grill pieces

just an fyi. all of the grilles on the rc/cs are steel wire, not plastic. I just got mine and they are definitely black powdercoated steel

Corey Darling":1aomho5q said:

This I did not know... Time to order that as well :)

Oh cool, I thought they were plastic just by feel, nm then.

aus jd 2703

aus jd 2703":3b51dr6f said:
Just to hijack a little bit.
Can I run the aluminum crash bar with a standard bumper cover? I want the clearance for an inter cooler but am a bit tight for cash ATM so thought just the crash bar?

Anybody?

temperacerguy

I don't think anyone has done it, but it should be no problem behind that monolithic front bumper. You will probably have to remove the crash crush foam, but that will be no big issue.