carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

RafaCalde

That's still reasonable for me so, I'm still in. Still not a bad price considering one could probably find one for maybe 30-40 dollars more plus shipping.

concealer404

I'm in. :)

1) underscore
2) rafacalde
3)spectra1
4)ALLensTRAC
5)xxgts1
6)dragstang86
7)GT4RC
8.celigts
9) Nitro_Alltrac (from celicatech)
10) PintoBC_5sfte (from celicatech)
11) concealer404
12)
13)
14)
15)

McKenzieJr18

1) underscore
2) rafacalde
3)spectra1
4)ALLensTRAC
5)xxgts1
6)dragstang86
7)GT4RC
8.celigts
9) Nitro_Alltrac (from celicatech)
10) PintoBC_5sfte (from celicatech)
11) concealer404
12)McKenzieJr18
13)
14)
15)

toayoztan

temperacerguy":3e50748j said:
94 MR2 Turbo":3e50748j said:
Are you going to make it like the tte panel or like oem?
Like this one? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 7952057499

Eww. And people are happy with that [design] (edited by toayoztan)??

No. It will not be a tte clone, and it will definately not be like that one on ebay. It will be a direct copy of the factory unit in glossy 2x2 twill carbon fiber

Actually, yes, a good number of people are happy with that similar design. A previous GB had that similar design made from a fellow member with alu.

(In general, please be respectful on this forum. You can have your opinions, suggestions, and disagree, but for the 2nd time, be more tactful with how you state them.)

Bryan

concealer404

Ebay one looks decent... similar design to what i have on the Miata, and the pattern seems to match most of the hoods i've seen.

Buuuuuut, i'd rather pay $90 than $200. :p

underscore

toayoztan":1mzc9co5 said:
temperacerguy":1mzc9co5 said:
94 MR2 Turbo":1mzc9co5 said:
Are you going to make it like the tte panel or like oem?
Like this one? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 7952057499

Eww. And people are happy with that [design] (edited by toayoztan)??

No. It will not be a tte clone, and it will definately not be like that one on ebay. It will be a direct copy of the factory unit in glossy 2x2 twill carbon fiber

Actually, yes, a good number of people are happy with that similar design. A previous GB had that similar design made from a fellow member with alu.

(In general, please be respectful on this forum. You can have your opinions, suggestions, and disagree, but for the 2nd time, be more tactful with how you state them.)

Bryan

I don't see anything wrong with that design, but I think it's better suited to metal. Trying to compeltely copy the OEM shape with metal would be pretty difficult, but I'd imagine fiberglass or carbonfibre have a much easier time copying the factory shape.

temperacerguy

underscore":bveksssf said:
I don't see anything wrong with that design, but I think it's better suited to metal. Trying to compeltely copy the OEM shape with metal would be pretty difficult, but I'd imagine fiberglass or carbonfibre have a much easier time copying the factory shape.

I agree whole hearted... So why make it out of carbon fiber, and do such a simple design???? AND CHARGE THAT MUCH?!?!?!?

Anyways...

I've started working on the plug kinda when I have a half hour to kill. I won't start working on it in ernst till late april/early may.

The project after I am done with this one, is to make a 5th Gen trunk "Privacy shelf" or "parcel shelf" out of carbon fiber.

Corey

temperacerguy":2pqezqtw said:
The project after I am done with this one, is to make a 5th Gen trunk "Privacy shelf" or "parcel shelf" out of carbon fiber.

I am 110% interested in that ^

That shelf has quite a bit of weight to it.

temperacerguy

yeah, the hinges are going to be the bitch. I'll probably just cast the new ones out of resin with a 2 part silicone mold, then epoxy them to the carbon fiber. Maybe put a felt "sock" on them to keep them quiet..

Anyways, that project is 3 months off, I got stuff to do before then.

athousandleaves

To chime in on the privacy cover... I would advise making it matte rather than glossy carbon fiber.
I drove for a summer with my interior stripped out in the rear and having a white trunk caused me to be blinded by the sun when it was behind. Light would bounce off the floor of the trunk and be reflected in the glass making my trunk floor the only thing I could see in my rear view... :roll:

temperacerguy

athousandleaves":yuoygmnd said:
To chime in on the privacy cover... I would advise making it matte rather than glossy carbon fiber.
I drove for a summer with my interior stripped out in the rear and having a white trunk caused me to be blinded by the sun when it was behind. Light would bounce off the floor of the trunk and be reflected in the glass making my trunk floor the only thing I could see in my rear view... :roll:

smart cookie... never thought of that... What about a fiberglass model covered with alcantara?

athousandleaves

Whatever you do I'd recommend you get it flocked and you'll have no problems with the glare. I think alcantara might get spendy fast too, no?

I find you get the same effect on rental cars when they detail the dashboard with armorall or something that's INSANELY SHINY so you get blinded by the dash in the windshield when driving into the sun...

I have been dying to play around with making my own CF parts through that vacuum molding process for a while now.

temperacerguy

athousandleaves":13x5ymbm said:
Whatever you do I'd recommend you get it flocked and you'll have no problems with the glare. I think alcantara might get spendy fast too, no?

I find you get the same effect on rental cars when they detail the dashboard with armorall or something that's INSANELY SHINY so you get blinded by the dash in the windshield when driving into the sun...

I have been dying to play around with making my own CF parts through that vacuum molding process for a while now.

Not sure why I would do anything flocked? I mean why do something that's no better than what was offered by the factory?

As for "spendy" If you havn't realized yet, I don't really deal with cheap materials much. LOL

and I'm not vacuum molding, I am resin infusion molding. There's a bit of a difference.

concealer404

temperacerguy":st900r3g said:
underscore":st900r3g said:

I agree whole hearted... So why make it out of carbon fiber, and do such a simple design???? AND CHARGE THAT MUCH?!?!?!?

Anyways...

I've started working on the plug kinda when I have a half hour to kill. I won't start working on it in ernst till late april/early may.

Plug as in CF Sunroof plug? WANT.