carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby all(trac)way » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm in I also posted on ctech so you only gotta count me once.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
John
90 Celica All-Trac, restore project
02 Corolla, fresh rebuild
92 Accord, just like Legos
User avatar
all(trac)way
Club Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:12 am

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby temperacerguy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:20 pm

94 MR2 Turbo wrote:Are you going to make it like the tte panel or like oem?
Like this one? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 7952057499


Eww. And people are happy with that 2 dimentional [design] (edited by toayoztan)??

No. It will not be a tte clone, and it will definately not be like that one on ebay. It will be a direct copy of the factory unit in glossy 2x2 twill carbon fiber
the VIS hood group buy is now closed.... you missed out!
temperacerguy
Club Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:16 am

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby toayoztan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 pm

temperacerguy wrote:
94 MR2 Turbo wrote:Are you going to make it like the tte panel or like oem?
Like this one? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 7952057499


Eww. And people are happy with that [design] (edited by toayoztan)??

No. It will not be a tte clone, and it will definately not be like that one on ebay. It will be a direct copy of the factory unit in glossy 2x2 twill carbon fiber


Actually, yes, a good number of people are happy with that similar design. A previous GB had that similar design made from a fellow member with alu.

(In general, please be respectful on this forum. You can have your opinions, suggestions, and disagree, but for the 2nd time, be more tactful with how you state them.)

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby concealer404 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Ebay one looks decent... similar design to what i have on the Miata, and the pattern seems to match most of the hoods i've seen.

Buuuuuut, i'd rather pay $90 than $200. :P
Cars and stuff.
concealer404
Club Member
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:24 pm

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby underscore » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:37 pm

toayoztan wrote:
temperacerguy wrote:
94 MR2 Turbo wrote:Are you going to make it like the tte panel or like oem?
Like this one? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 7952057499


Eww. And people are happy with that [design] (edited by toayoztan)??

No. It will not be a tte clone, and it will definately not be like that one on ebay. It will be a direct copy of the factory unit in glossy 2x2 twill carbon fiber


Actually, yes, a good number of people are happy with that similar design. A previous GB had that similar design made from a fellow member with alu.

(In general, please be respectful on this forum. You can have your opinions, suggestions, and disagree, but for the 2nd time, be more tactful with how you state them.)

Bryan


I don't see anything wrong with that design, but I think it's better suited to metal. Trying to compeltely copy the OEM shape with metal would be pretty difficult, but I'd imagine fiberglass or carbonfibre have a much easier time copying the factory shape.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3792
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby temperacerguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:12 am

underscore wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with that design, but I think it's better suited to metal. Trying to compeltely copy the OEM shape with metal would be pretty difficult, but I'd imagine fiberglass or carbonfibre have a much easier time copying the factory shape.


I agree whole hearted... So why make it out of carbon fiber, and do such a simple design???? AND CHARGE THAT MUCH?!?!?!?

Anyways...

I've started working on the plug kinda when I have a half hour to kill. I won't start working on it in ernst till late april/early may.

The project after I am done with this one, is to make a 5th Gen trunk "Privacy shelf" or "parcel shelf" out of carbon fiber.
the VIS hood group buy is now closed.... you missed out!
temperacerguy
Club Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:16 am

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby Corey » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:24 am

temperacerguy wrote:

The project after I am done with this one, is to make a 5th Gen trunk "Privacy shelf" or "parcel shelf" out of carbon fiber.


I am 110% interested in that ^

That shelf has quite a bit of weight to it.
Image
User avatar
Corey
GTFour God
 
Posts: 4118
Images: 49
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:12 am

1989 Toyota Celica

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby underscore » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:51 am

same here, especially since both of mine have broken "hinges"
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3792
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby temperacerguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:10 am

yeah, the hinges are going to be the bitch. I'll probably just cast the new ones out of resin with a 2 part silicone mold, then epoxy them to the carbon fiber. Maybe put a felt "sock" on them to keep them quiet..

Anyways, that project is 3 months off, I got stuff to do before then.
the VIS hood group buy is now closed.... you missed out!
temperacerguy
Club Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:16 am

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby athousandleaves » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 am

To chime in on the privacy cover... I would advise making it matte rather than glossy carbon fiber.
I drove for a summer with my interior stripped out in the rear and having a white trunk caused me to be blinded by the sun when it was behind. Light would bounce off the floor of the trunk and be reflected in the glass making my trunk floor the only thing I could see in my rear view... :roll:
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
Image
1992 White turbo4WD
User avatar
athousandleaves
Established Member
 
Posts: 1288
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby temperacerguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:27 am

athousandleaves wrote:To chime in on the privacy cover... I would advise making it matte rather than glossy carbon fiber.
I drove for a summer with my interior stripped out in the rear and having a white trunk caused me to be blinded by the sun when it was behind. Light would bounce off the floor of the trunk and be reflected in the glass making my trunk floor the only thing I could see in my rear view... :roll:


smart cookie... never thought of that... What about a fiberglass model covered with alcantara?
the VIS hood group buy is now closed.... you missed out!
temperacerguy
Club Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:16 am

carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby celigts » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:04 am

Oh man I'm in for the privacy cover!
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
User avatar
celigts
Established Member
 
Posts: 1660
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby athousandleaves » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 am

Whatever you do I'd recommend you get it flocked and you'll have no problems with the glare. I think alcantara might get spendy fast too, no?

I find you get the same effect on rental cars when they detail the dashboard with armorall or something that's INSANELY SHINY so you get blinded by the dash in the windshield when driving into the sun...

I have been dying to play around with making my own CF parts through that vacuum molding process for a while now.
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
Image
1992 White turbo4WD
User avatar
athousandleaves
Established Member
 
Posts: 1288
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby temperacerguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:12 am

athousandleaves wrote:Whatever you do I'd recommend you get it flocked and you'll have no problems with the glare. I think alcantara might get spendy fast too, no?

I find you get the same effect on rental cars when they detail the dashboard with armorall or something that's INSANELY SHINY so you get blinded by the dash in the windshield when driving into the sun...

I have been dying to play around with making my own CF parts through that vacuum molding process for a while now.


Not sure why I would do anything flocked? I mean why do something that's no better than what was offered by the factory?

As for "spendy" If you havn't realized yet, I don't really deal with cheap materials much. LOL

and I'm not vacuum molding, I am resin infusion molding. There's a bit of a difference.
the VIS hood group buy is now closed.... you missed out!
temperacerguy
Club Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:16 am

Re: carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

Postby concealer404 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:31 pm

temperacerguy wrote:
underscore wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with that design, but I think it's better suited to metal. Trying to compeltely copy the OEM shape with metal would be pretty difficult, but I'd imagine fiberglass or carbonfibre have a much easier time copying the factory shape.


I agree whole hearted... So why make it out of carbon fiber, and do such a simple design???? AND CHARGE THAT MUCH?!?!?!?

Anyways...

I've started working on the plug kinda when I have a half hour to kill. I won't start working on it in ernst till late april/early may.

The project after I am done with this one, is to make a 5th Gen trunk "Privacy shelf" or "parcel shelf" out of carbon fiber.



Plug as in CF Sunroof plug? WANT.
Cars and stuff.
concealer404
Club Member
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:24 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron