Best spray can undercoat, suggestions

ZeroDrift

Hotrodhendrix":3ki4j28n said:
Which liner did you use in yours?

I believe it was Rustoleum's offerings. I decided to opt for the roll/paint on kind.

dsc0002pr.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

Nice. The Hurculiner I used has a very bumpy texture. I dabbed it on with a paint brush as the roller didnt work well. Have you had an peeling or anything? I only found one small spot where I didnt get it cleaned well enough and it peeled off easily.

ZeroDrift

Hotrodhendrix":1pcmhimr said:
Nice. The Hurculiner I used has a very bumpy texture. I dabbed it on with a paint brush as the roller didnt work well. Have you had an peeling or anything? I only found one small spot where I didnt get it cleaned well enough and it peeled off easily.

I only had one small piece flake off in the trunk. Tossed in a differential or something and it caused a several inch flake to come up. What I did for the engine bay was degrease everything with Simple Green with a pressure washer, then going over it with some sandpaper or something to promote adhesion. Did this several times to ensure no grease was remaining. I didn't do the same level of prep work for the entire trunk apparently...

The Rustoleum product didn't have have large particles in it like the Hurculiner (which I have used inside my ST165 speaker pods). I tried the roller method, but quickly found that a 3" paint brush was more productive with the many contours of the engine bay.

Hotrodhendrix

Thats how I did the alltrac. The VR4 I left the engine in so I didnt pressure wash which is probably why I had that quarter size area that had to be redone 6 months later.

l0ch0w

Since I found a really nice spray booth local to me, I intend on just painting the whole engine bay with the stock super red urethane...

ZeroDrift

I bet you really scrape up your knuckles with the Hurcluliner stuff. How hard was it to do this with the engine in?

ZeroDrift

l0ch0w":3lc0go9x said:
Since I found a really nice spray booth local to me, I intend on just painting the whole engine bay with the stock super red urethane...

Update this thread with the before/after shots! I'm very curious as to how this will turn out! Especially with the color added in!

Hotrodhendrix

ZeroDrift":9vc2y32c said:
I bet you really scrape up your knuckles with the Hurcluliner stuff. How hard was it to do this with the engine in?

Ehhh its not as bad as you would think. The material that makes it bumper isnt sharp but its not the most comfortable thing to lean on thats for sure. Actually really easy. Just pulled off all the bolt on stuff which is alot in the VR4. Took about 8 hours I would say start to finish.

In for pics when you get her all painted up!
~James