Best spray can undercoat, suggestions

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

Re: Best spray can undercoat, suggestions

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Mon May 07, 2012 3:53 pm

celigts wrote:
Hotrodhendrix wrote:I used Rhino liner in my engine bay. Had it in the VR4 and alltrac. No issues. but it does have a much more bumpy finish than most.
~James

In the engine bay!

Yep. Works great. Heat resistant, sound deadening, resists most chemicals, easy to clean and shine (tire shine :P), doesn't chip or scratch, Easy to install, and my favorite bonus... Tools dont slide around when your working on the car. Haha

I dont have any updated pics of the celica engine bay but here is one of the VR4. Used the same stuff. Looks better in the VR4 in my opinion but you see less of it in the alltrac.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby l00k0v3rth3r3 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:15 pm

also with most of the bed liners you can paint them...for those of you who don't like the look of the black in the engine bay.
Gabe
1990 Maroon AllTrac RC Swap - up and running
1990 Red AllTrac - under the knife
1990 Maroon Audi 90 Quattro
1998 Toyota 4runner Limited
1979 Jeep CJ-5 - Off-Road Machine
1991 Mazda Miata 1.8l
l00k0v3rth3r3
Club Member

Best spray can undercoat, suggestions

Postby celigts » Mon May 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Man that actually looks super sick! Gives the bay less of a nice look and more aggression.

That I'll be doing one day when I have another car so I can clean up this one like everyone else does :)
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
celigts
Established Member

Postby ZeroDrift » Mon May 07, 2012 4:54 pm

May as well show mine.

During prep, but post paint:

Also redid the trunk and plastic parts with the same bed liner. Helped immensely with durability when hauling anything.
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Mon May 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Which liner did you use in yours?
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby ZeroDrift » Mon May 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Hotrodhendrix wrote:Which liner did you use in yours?

I believe it was Rustoleum's offerings. I decided to opt for the roll/paint on kind.

ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Mon May 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Nice. The Hurculiner I used has a very bumpy texture. I dabbed it on with a paint brush as the roller didnt work well. Have you had an peeling or anything? I only found one small spot where I didnt get it cleaned well enough and it peeled off easily.
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby ZeroDrift » Mon May 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Hotrodhendrix wrote:Nice. The Hurculiner I used has a very bumpy texture. I dabbed it on with a paint brush as the roller didnt work well. Have you had an peeling or anything? I only found one small spot where I didnt get it cleaned well enough and it peeled off easily.

I only had one small piece flake off in the trunk. Tossed in a differential or something and it caused a several inch flake to come up. What I did for the engine bay was degrease everything with Simple Green with a pressure washer, then going over it with some sandpaper or something to promote adhesion. Did this several times to ensure no grease was remaining. I didn't do the same level of prep work for the entire trunk apparently...

The Rustoleum product didn't have have large particles in it like the Hurculiner (which I have used inside my ST165 speaker pods). I tried the roller method, but quickly found that a 3" paint brush was more productive with the many contours of the engine bay.
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Mon May 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Thats how I did the alltrac. The VR4 I left the engine in so I didnt pressure wash which is probably why I had that quarter size area that had to be redone 6 months later.
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby l0ch0w » Mon May 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Since I found a really nice spray booth local to me, I intend on just painting the whole engine bay with the stock super red urethane...
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
Frankenstein engine, lots of mods :P
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby ZeroDrift » Mon May 07, 2012 8:09 pm

I bet you really scrape up your knuckles with the Hurcluliner stuff. How hard was it to do this with the engine in?
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby ZeroDrift » Mon May 07, 2012 8:12 pm

l0ch0w wrote:Since I found a really nice spray booth local to me, I intend on just painting the whole engine bay with the stock super red urethane...

Update this thread with the before/after shots! I'm very curious as to how this will turn out! Especially with the color added in!
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Mon May 07, 2012 8:18 pm

ZeroDrift wrote:I bet you really scrape up your knuckles with the Hurcluliner stuff. How hard was it to do this with the engine in?

Ehhh its not as bad as you would think. The material that makes it bumper isnt sharp but its not the most comfortable thing to lean on thats for sure. Actually really easy. Just pulled off all the bolt on stuff which is alot in the VR4. Took about 8 hours I would say start to finish.

In for pics when you get her all painted up!
~James
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods