The headlight adjustment thread

CMS-GT4

So any good tips on adjusting the headlights of the 185 in the down position? I can't seem to get mine to line up properly with the hood. If we can get some good info in here, maybe this can be a faq thread.

CMS-GT4

So I found some solutions. There was a screw I already knew about behind the headlight, but I can move it. I am sure if I do move it, that is will break. Now there are four bolts on the side of the headlight cover. If you remove the plastic shroud you can loosen these to adjust the headlight. My issue is that I can not adjust my light enough due to some reason. Perhaps warpage or something. So I can either dremel the squares where the bolts go a little and get more adjustment or use a wire to tie down the offending corner. Either way, this is the area for headlight adjustment.

photo1ipn.jpg

toayoztan

In terms of getting the headlight to be flush, as in "retracts to closed position too much" or "does not retract down far enough in close position," I thought you adjusted it via the screw you may be referring to. Here's several pics I quickly found while I stripped my car down. I have a ton of pics regarding this whole area and assembly, if you want more.

The adjustment you are referring to I believe is for the cosmetic headlight cover piece (the painted part of the headlight) to properly align the gaps around the hood, but not sure if that actually deals with the up and down flush alignment with the hood.

I could be completely wrong, I'm just going off what makes sense in my head w/o delving into it too much.

img2167l.jpg

img2206k.jpg

img2219i.jpg

Bryan

CMS-GT4

So I used those bolts we posted to adjust the headlights. Between that, and the rubber hood stoppers I was able to get things lined up. I did have to dremel the slits a little to get my adjustment perfect. It is a lot of trial and error to get it setup right.

Meurz

How about adjusting them by manually moving the motors as seen in Bryans 2nd pic (underneath rubber cap, bottom of picture)? I thought moving the painted cover around is just for adjusting panel gap, not flushness?

toayoztan

Meurz":1m0crfp0 said:
How about adjusting them by manually moving the motors as seen in Bryans 2nd pic (underneath rubber cap, bottom of picture)? I thought moving the painted cover around is just for adjusting panel gap, not flushness?

Yeah, I believe that's what it is too.

Like I said above, I think you need to adjust that rear stud/bolt stopper to get it flush.

Bryan