Stripping car for paint - clip/ bumpstrip removal etc

deecee

Hi all,

I am currently stripping the car to the shell for paint and need to remove attachments on the body panels. I'm trying to not damage the metal and attachments as well as save clips where possible.

Can anyone advise or have some good tricks to remove
- plastic retainer clips which cannot be access from behind eg boot spoiler clips without damaging the metal
- bump strips (i think I need a wire to get between strip and panel to cut adhesive? I know there are some spots where there is a plastic locating pin i have to get around)
- window surrounds (how is the surround held in place - is it just a lip that sits behind the edge of the glass)
- washer nozzles

anything other advice or recommendations would be helpful

Cheers
Dave

CSAlltrac

The clips that are in the body for the wing I would leave in. It is ok for these to get painted as it will not hurt their function. Body side moldings are easy, you can either use thin wire like you said or get a blade and cut between the body and molding. The dowel that is on these is not crucial to maintain. If you cut one off dont panic, just be sure to cover the hole when re installing. The window moldings are simple as well, give the rubber a pull but be careful to not tear it. Under the rubber are screws for the metal seal retainer/window trim. Hood squirts have two tabs you can reach from the inside of the hood, do one at a time and push the nozzle upwards. Let me know if you have any other questions. :D

deecee

Thanks. I ended up buying a set of plastic trim removal tools and have stripped rear quarter windows, rubbers and the windows out. Figured out most of it :)