Replacing factory roof skin with non-sunroof skin

ALLensTRAC

Well I have decided to go all out and do all my body work now. I will be replacing the right rear quarter panel and I figured I might as well do the top too. I know I've seen a few members rides with the skin replaced but does anyone have photos of the actual process? I am looking for the spot weld lines and also how it sections into the A-pillars/ C-pillars. Does the roof skin weld below the Quarters or above?

Also does anyone have a correct OEM part number for the non-sunroof lift back skin? I've found a price online but those dealers never supply the number in their catalogs and my local dealer is useless. Also looking for the part number for the right rear quarter panel as well if anyone has it written down.

Thanks guys and I'll post pics once the top work starts for anyone who is interested in tackling this.

CMS-GT4

Here is the oem PN for the non sunroof skin I have. Not sure if it has been changed since then.
63111-20410

ALLensTRAC

Thanks Josh!!! I'll have the morons at the dealer run it and I'll cross reference the price I have written down. Did anyone get pics of Griffin's car when he did the swap?

ALLensTRAC

Well the number has been discontinued but I found a Toyota overstock place locally that shows it in stock. I sent them an email to confirm it. If not I'll just have to break out the old cordless saws all and head to the PnP lol!

CMS-GT4

Keep us posted what you end up doing. I still really consider doing this down the road myself if its still and option.

athousandleaves

I was hoping to begin making carbon roof skins this summer but don't hold your breath.

I have the accident repair manual bgb so I'll check if there's anything about the roof in there for you.

The C pillar joint is very obvious on most 185's when you pop the trunk and look at the spot between the hatch and the roof.

CMS-GT4

Don't forget there is also a different roof brace besides the one that the moonroof version uses. You might be able to use either. I have no idea of the clearance for the new headliner the moon roof version leaves.

Its PN is: 63141-20130

Since the moonroof version is a box rather than a bar, it might provide more rigidity vs weight. It might not be enough to matter though.

ALLensTRAC

Thanks guys!!! Keep the input coming :D
CMS-GT4":y4ybwu6o said:
Don't forget there is also a different roof brace besides the one that the moonroof version uses. You might be able to use either. I have no idea of the clearance for the new headliner the moon roof version leaves.

Its PN is: 63141-20130

Since the moonroof version is a box rather than a bar, it might provide more rigidity vs weight. It might not be enough to matter though.

The non-moonroof headliner works but I believe the mount for the overhead lamp needs to be fabbed because its in a different place on the structure. There was a white one in Palm Beach Fl (I believe it was CelicaGT4) that had the entire swap done and that was the only thing that needed to be modded. Once the headliner is in it also leaves increased helmet space as in Pats car. His has a plug but he used the non-sunroof headliner.
athousandleaves":y4ybwu6o said:
I was hoping to begin making carbon roof skins this summer but don't hold your breath.

I have the accident repair manual bgb so I'll check if there's anything about the roof in there for you.

The C pillar joint is very obvious on most 185's when you pop the trunk and look at the spot between the hatch and the roof.

If you could look in that BGB it would be great!!!! The problem I am wanting to overcome before starting is I need to know which panel goes over which. A friend of mine who does body work for a living told me that the roof on hatchbacks is normally under the quarter panel at the C-pillar. This isn't a problem on the Right side as its getting replaced too but I want to avoid having to remove the new quarter thats on the left side. Also if you can find pictures in the body repair manual for the A-pillar joints as well as the windshield area that would be wonderful!!!

Meurz

athousandleaves":33mrs0sp said:
Off the donor indeed. But I had a body shop reskin my car with the donor skin only (will add it to my thread later):

2yobi2q.jpg

2qx2ezd.png

I went this way, as I couldn't get a new skin from the dealer.

athousandleaves

Allen I'll trade you the body work diagrams for a story as to where that whole front LSD thing ended up lol

-edit-
Plus if you have a copy of any of the front diff measurements I could see that would be nice :D

ALLensTRAC

Hey leaves I am sorry I did not post in the thread as I got sidetracked with life. The guy I was dealing with completely cut communication with me. I wrote him ten emails with no response. I had my buddy call them and they said he wasn't in the office. I asked him to call me and left my number but I never got a response. I also am left without the diff that Tecker184 sent them. My diff is completely assembled so I do not have any measurements to share. The next time I get to my friends shop I'll have him call Motovicity again to see if Scott is there but I think it's a dead deal. Unfortunate really considering how many they would sell.

Thank you Muerz that first pic answers my question regarding the C-pillar weld line. Oh and after calling 15 dealers there are 0 roof panels in the country new. Looks like I'll be getting one at the junkyard. Too bad I'm in Florida and every car in the yards either has a sunroof or is a vert.
When I start removing the skin I'll take a bunch of photos to show everyone how it goes. Should be interesting lol!!!