Group A decal on non-homologation car? bad taste?

wilhelm101

Was thinking of putting some Group A Rallye decals on my ST185 (soon to be 300bhp 3rd gen 3sgte conversion)
Some people have reacted badly to the idea as its not a true Group A release. Any thoughts?
I thought it was reasonable considering the mods make it not a stock 185 and worthy of the Group A badge. Also think replicas are reasonable considering many people will never own a true group a in the same way people do full castrol rally car replicas.

Cheers

underscore

As an owner of a real RC I'm not overly fond of it but the main thing is the owners attitude. If someone has a replica and says it's a replica that's one thing, but when someone has a replica and passes it off as the real thing that's tacky. There's someone out there with an Alltrac with the hood and bumper who says it's an RC on FB all the time and it annoys the heck out of me. It's a bit insulting to those who have put time and effort into having the real deal. The Castrol decals are a bit different since that livery never came on a road car (as long as they're not going around telling people they have an ex-TTE car or something).

If you want to get into "worthiness" then for it to be a full replica you need basically the entire drivetrain, and I can't say I've heard of anyone doing that. In the end it's your car and your choice, you might get some flack but as long as you're honest about it then most shouldn't have a problem.

wilhelm101

I think those are fair points. Certainly would not be trying to pass it off as the real deal. Will still have wrong scoop and front bar. More that i’m looking for some period decals to dress it up a bit that reflect its Group A Rally heritage. Certainly isn’t a proper rally car but with the anti-lag crackling at a few tarmac hill climbs I figure it could wear the group A badge but take your point.

Ryan

I think its fine! i've owned multiple st205s all wrc package but in reality rc and wrc packages mean nothing, other than if you where building a wrc car you'd have to use that particular chassis (i'm aware of the very minor differences and slight power increase on the st185 rc). just do what you want as long as you don't scam somebody when you sell it telling them its a genuine rc etc...
-Ryan

freddie

To answer the question, have you ever seen a standard BMW 3 series (example 320i or 318i) with M3 badges on it
or a Supascrew RX with WRX badges or a WRX with STI badges on it? How do you feel about that?

End of story.

FC Zach

freddie":13lf6tqo said:
have you ever seen a standard BMW 3 series (example 320i or 318i) with M3 badges on it
or a Supascrew RX with WRX badges or a WRX with STI badges on it? How do you feel about that?

End of story.

Yes. . if it has been made to appear correct and it's not super obvious then I don't care. As others have mentioned, it's really only a D-Bag move when you pass it off as something it really isn't, especially if put up for sale.

In your example, you used WRX/STI. . Lets say you live in the states where we didn't receive the "cool" model in my favorite body style WRX, the first gen. The 2.5RS already had the looks. . lets say one were to do a few changes, would that be an issue? If so, then I guess 'To each their own'.