ST185CS hood vent on ST165?

Kyoto

Hi, guess i should introduce myself. My name's Tim, i live in Melbourne Australia, and own a mildly modded 165. Been lurking for about 6 months, but decided i had a question to ask.

This is by no means my next mod, but one that has been interesting me for quite a while. I would like to get a 162 bonnet and graft the generic Eribuni 185CS hood vent onto it. This is not so much for aesthetic reasons as for functionality. Im sure everyone here knows one of the biggest design flaws of the 165 was the restrictive air flow through the engine bay which causes excessive under bonnet temps. It doesn't look like its going to be difficult, hell, i could prolly do it myself, but what i want to know is does anyone know of anyone on the boards who has done this? I just wanna know what i would look like, as i think it would look great but for obvious reasons i would want to be sure.

Any input appreciated. By the way, great board, shame alot of the old material was lost with the trasnsition! :)

Kyoto

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the speedy reply Gary but i was actually after the vent from the Carlos Sainz edition rather than the scoop for the TMIC off regular 185's. If anyone knows anything it would be handy. :)

Gary

Sorry. didn't pay attention on that.
I remember seeing the CS vent on 4th gen hood on the old board.
Too bad, I didn't save that pic. :(

Rick89GTS

This is Quyen's white 165 with 185RC vent and regular 185 side vents.

I have the OEM red one that's gonna be put on my 165, hopefully sometime soon (procrastinator). Will do a write-up when I finally get around to it...

quyenhood.jpg

CSventtop.jpg

Plex

OOooOo I like... how much do those generally go for? also is that 'Toyota 4wd' decal under the drivers side headlight stock? i dont have one for some reason..

guess I'm just not cool enough haha

Gary

Plex":1dkway2f said:
that 'Toyota 4wd' decal under the drivers side headlight stock? i dont have one for some reason..

Stock for Canadian, UK model and such.
GT-Four for JDM
and nothing but the "Toyota" for the US :p

Rick89GTS

Plex":2kf8fdqo said:
OOooOo I like... how much do those generally go for? also is that 'Toyota 4wd' decal under the drivers side headlight stock? i dont have one for some reason..

The CS replica vents go for about US$120, I believe.
I saw a 'Toyota 4WD' emblem at the junkyard. If you're really interested, I can get a price for you.

Plex

lol that'd be sweet, as long as it doesn't have any cracks or chips or anyhing... check it out for me :)

Shaggz00

rick, would you happen to know a specific company I could order that cs vent from? and how does that mount? is it like, clipped underneath or something? My buddy has a CS style vent, but I think its from a different company cuz it looks kinda different.

Rick89GTS

Shaggz00":vkrgc9b0 said:
rick, would you happen to know a specific company I could order that cs vent from? and how does that mount? is it like, clipped underneath or something? My buddy has a CS style vent, but I think its from a different company cuz it looks kinda different.

Go to the Erebuni site: http://www.erebunicorp.com/accessories.htm

Here's a 2 hole version, $136

hspa259a.jpg

The OEM CS vent has studs fitted into the vent's backside. You cut out the hood metal and drill holes to correspond to the studs, which are secured by nuts. It can be molded in after that or like Quyen's example, just bolted down and sealed with double-sided rubber tape.

I believe the Erebuni version must be molded in. I was going to buy one but was lucky enough to find an OEM one instead.

Rick89GTS

Plex":3g4ie6aa said:
.........is that 'Toyota 4wd' decal under the drivers side headlight stock? i dont have one for some reason.....

Plex,

Checked today, the junkyard doesn't have that 4WD emblem anymore, sorry.

Shaggz00

Rick, You're right. I checked on the Erebuni scoop does need to be molded in. I really want the OEM one. I like how it looks on Quyen's car! where did you find yours?

Rick89GTS

Shag:

I got mine from a fellow AllTrac owner at the Seattle Meet (April 26, 2003). You do see them on eBay every once in a while.

Actually, because of this thread, I finally got up off my ass and cut into my spare hood. I'll post pics when I'm done :D