New 165 owner in the PacNW

Pacific Northwest Areas

New 165 owner in the PacNW

Postby Status Sean » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:52 pm

Hey guys,

My name is Sean, I am a long time Celica enthusiast, and long time lurker of the all trac boards.

This is my first All-Trac model, I previously had a fwd GT 165 that served as my daily beater which will now be replaced by its awd brother. I bought the All-Trac from the original owner yesterday, the car's engine blew in 2000 and has sat until now.

The chassis itself is in great condition, the paint and interior are pretty thrashed but that will all be fixed soon enough. The plan is to get the car running this week and daily it until November, from there we will tear the car down and build it accordingly.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Status Sean
Club Member

Postby EasternBandit » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:10 am

Welcome! Nice base for a project, what're your goals and where are you located? There's too few of us here in the NW....
chaos_cascade wrote:
Heh, you should prolly change your siggy Putting best foot forward and all.

May I suggest-

Black '93 ST185 - 1 of 81, CS Hood, CS Front, essence of cool
EasternBandit
Club Member

Postby AWDios » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm assuming you bought this from Bowser?

Make sure to check out PSTOC as well.

Where are you located?
90 White 185 with a 97 205 motor
Puget Sound Toyota Owners Club
www.pstoc.org

Formerly known as GT-Four195
AWDios
Established Member

Postby Status Sean » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Yes I bought the car off of Bao (Bowser) I wasn't sure if he posted here.

Here are some pics of what we worked on last night.

We are trying to get rid of as much weight off the front end as possible. Eventually the car will have a custom core support, but that wont come until November.

So far we removed the:

-Entire Air conditioning unit/hard lines/ condenser
-Manual Headlight adjusters & most of the bracket (about 8lbs off each)
-Moved the battery to the cabin (Odyssey PC1200)
-All the stereo equipment
-Rear wiper

Today I will be:
-Putting on Manual window doors from a gt model.
-Installing a Sparco hub and Steering wheel (Temporary)
-Cutting the ribs out of the hood
-Installing gt3 cup car hood pins
-Making frp bezel for fixed headlights

I am thinking about running the electric power steering unit off of the Mr2. All of my past weekend cars didn't have power steering but i'm thinking for the kind of driving I will be doing I will want ps.

Here's a picture of the 50% completed fixed headlight conversion, Today I will be making the FRP bezel that will finish it off. There was alot more cutting, spot weld drilling, and welding involved than I thought.

Status Sean
Club Member

Postby Status Sean » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:39 pm

EasternBandit wrote:Welcome! Nice base for a project, what're your goals and where are you located? There's too few of us here in the NW....

The car is located in Arlington, but I live in Mukilteo.

My plans are to get the car running with the stock 1st gen engine and learn the car, I want to figure out all of it's weakneses before we tear it down in November.

November Build includes:

-Acid dip chassis
-Seam weld chassis
-Roll Cage (built to current WRC FIA spec)
-Tilton hanging twin pedal setup
-Revised shock towers
-Front mini tubs
-Custom core support and push bar
-Somehow get rid of the sunroof

Brakes (AMD setup looks promissing)
300-350hp 2nd gen 3S (going for response)

Here's a picture of my other project, a 98 ITR that I am currently building and should be finished this month.

I had the car sand blasted, seam welded, and powdercoated.
Status Sean
Club Member

Postby AWDios » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:02 pm

Sweet, and you're in the north end too, good to have some more people up this way.

BTW, if you want to help pull my motor and get some more all-trac experience, I'm trying to do that on the 13th of Sept and could use the help. :D
90 White 185 with a 97 205 motor
Puget Sound Toyota Owners Club
www.pstoc.org

Formerly known as GT-Four195
AWDios
Established Member

Postby turbo4wd » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Status Sean wrote:-Somehow get rid of the sunroof

Welcome, and nice ITR.

Since you're going to strip it down, and acid dip it - the easiest way to go about this would probably be to simply weld a piece of sheetmetal from the inside to seal up the hole. Depending on how skilled your welder is, the bead would be minor, and you would need a minimal amount of filler to make it glass smooth and ready to paint.
Dan
Undercover Moderator
turbo4wd
Established Member

Postby EasternBandit » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:31 pm

http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13814

thread talking about alternatives to acid dipping for paint/rust removal. Save the environment! Haha, jk if I said that I'd be a hipacrit for driving an alltrac. But I try to help where I can, like stopping my gf from throwing gobs of trash out the window while driving and making sure nothing electrical is on when I leave the house.

Now if only we could get more guys/gals in oregon with alltracs...
chaos_cascade wrote:
Heh, you should prolly change your siggy Putting best foot forward and all.

May I suggest-

Black '93 ST185 - 1 of 81, CS Hood, CS Front, essence of cool
EasternBandit
Club Member

Postby 05christj » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:45 pm

you said you removed all the stereo equipment can I get the factory radio and harness?
05christj
Club Member

Postby chkpnt » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:03 am

Cool! Welcome!

Would you mind if I swing by to take a look at your fixed headlight conversion some time? I live in Bellingham...

What are you building the car for?
1989 Toyota AW11 * 1988 Toyota AE95 All Trac * 1993 Saturn SL2 * http://www.RaceWearClothing.com
chkpnt
Club Member

Postby Status Sean » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:45 am

chkpnt wrote:Cool! Welcome!

Would you mind if I swing by to take a look at your fixed headlight conversion some time? I live in Bellingham...

What are you building the car for?

Yeah,

Just stop by the shop, we are in Arlington about an hour away.

Right now I just want the car to run, which is turning into way more of a headache than I previously thought.

In November we are going to tear the car down and rebuild and reinforce. We bought the car as a test mule for some of the other cars/projects we have in the shop.

were going to be experimenting with:

Custom Lexan windows
Composite body panals & one time use molds
Mil spec wiring the entire car
Some new chassis strengthening techniques we've wanted to try.

With the car being very affordable and awd/turbo it made sense for it to be our test mule, plus I've been a huge fan of the 165 chassis for quite some time.

But now I have to get this thing running, I'm trying to drive it before Friday..................wiring :doh:
Status Sean
Club Member

Postby Status Sean » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:46 am

05christj wrote:you said you removed all the stereo equipment can I get the factory radio and harness?

Sorry I threw everything away, I'll make sure to post the future unneeded parts before I throw them away.
Status Sean
Club Member

Postby Status Sean » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:50 am

EasternBandit wrote:http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13814

thread talking about alternatives to acid dipping for paint/rust removal. Save the environment! Haha, jk if I said that I'd be a hipacrit for driving an alltrac. But I try to help where I can, like stopping my gf from throwing gobs of trash out the window while driving and making sure nothing electrical is on when I leave the house.

Now if only we could get more guys/gals in oregon with alltracs...

Yeah we have stripped cars in the past with media blasting and it works really well on paint and rust, but it wont go thru the cars factory undercoat, we found this out the hardway with the ITR a $300 complete chassis sand blast job turned into a $1200 mess.

nothing better than working on a fresh bare metal car.
Status Sean
Club Member

Postby Status Sean » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:54 am

turbo4wd wrote:
Status Sean wrote:-Somehow get rid of the sunroof

Welcome, and nice ITR.

Since you're going to strip it down, and acid dip it - the easiest way to go about this would probably be to simply weld a piece of sheetmetal from the inside to seal up the hole. Depending on how skilled your welder is, the bead would be minor, and you would need a minimal amount of filler to make it glass smooth and ready to paint.

Yeah it sucks that this car doesn't have roof sills and we could just drill out the spot welds and swap in a roof skin without a sunroof. We will figure something out when the time comes, for now I need to get this car running.

If there are any all trac wiring gurus in the area lmk

I'm putting a JDM 1st gen 3s in and 3 plugs dont corospond with the usdm harness.
Status Sean
Club Member

Postby Rick89GTS » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:32 am

Status Sean wrote:
05christj wrote:you said you removed all the stereo equipment can I get the factory radio and harness?

Sorry I threw everything away, I'll make sure to post the future unneeded parts before I throw them away.

Did you throw away the AC stuff too?
I'm looking for a few AC things...
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Next

Return to NorthWest