WHY ARE MORE OF YOU PEOPLE NOT AUTOCROSSING :)

CodingParadox

Yet again, I'm the only Alltrac at a PacNW autocross.

Slush 4 Results

I finished 61/144. Not bad, considering I only had 3 runs and realized I was making one huge error that cost me a good 2-3 seconds every run. More of you bastids better show up to some of these portland and seattle autoxes!

CMS-GT4

Maybe if we cut the floor boards out of mine, and I have 3 passengers, I can have an awd car flinstone style. I bet that would be about as active lsd as you could have.

turbo4wd

CodingParadox":2kf4ngwl said:
Okay fine, you're forgiven.

But as for the rest of you!...

You want the easy answer?

Because everyone's Alltrac is down in one form or another.. or it wouldnt pass tech inspection due to leaks or some other issue..

As for me, once mine is ready to romp, it'll be at a track.. Cones dont agree with me.. :lol:

124Spider

CodingParadox":39kyva04 said:
Lol. So true...

Hey, if I can manage to get my alltracs to pass tech inspection, anyone can. :)
LMAO. Two weeks ago, he dropped CV bolts as he drove in the gate of the course (clicking loudly as he did so); he got them back in and passed tech inspection with seconds to spare. On Sunday, they tried to pin an oil leak on him, but couldn't get his engine to leak on command, so they let him run. They don't like fluid leaks at track or autox events, for some reason.

Old Toyotas do leak like sieves, don't they?

Zeus

man i wish we had autox's as big as you guys...

I run the 200 now as it is better suited... lighter and with the stock turbo it has plenty of tq for low end... doesnt have the exit speeds the alltac can must with its open diff and 205 tires but i can hold much more speed

I did pretty well with the celica back in the day... top finish i had was 2nd overall but we only have 30-50 cars... sometimes more when the porshce and mg and corvette clubs join in... Im usually in the top 5-10 on those days which im quite proud of considering ive beat out some zo6's nsx's and porsches with a car that cost me $1500

maybe one of these days ill go over to the vancouver ones or come down to one of your guys' and get my ass kicked

CodingParadox

Hah, maybe I'll come _up_ for some of yours. 30-50 people - how many runs do you guys get? We just got 3 runs at the most recent autocross. Kinda a total gip.

124Spider

AWDios":10p0vjuv said:
http://pstoc.com/viewtopic.php?t=465

That sounds more fun.
I used to agree, but I've decided that both have their merits. There's nothing like the adrenaline rush of driving on a track; all else being equal, I'd to it lots.

But it's not--track days are very expensive--by the time I factor in tire wear, brake pad wear, gasolint (I get 9mpg on my S2000 on the track; I get about 24-25 in normal mixed driving); entry fee and coach, it's more or less $500 for a day's driving.

Autocross last Sunday cost $20. Granted, I got less than 2.5 minutes of seat time (vs. three hours at the track), but I'm getting to know the regulars, and they're really helpful. Three weeks ago, a national champion did a couple of fun runs in my car, first driving to show me how it's done, then riding, then driving, etc. Where else are people that nice?

And Autocross is very technically demanding; when you get good at it. you're really a good driver.

PreGrid

124Spider":zvsd1uuj said:
Where else are people that nice?

RALLY Cross... of course :)

Speaking of which, one could ask why more of you aren't coming out to support that. ;)

By the way, there is a Rally Cross THIS SUNDAY, day after tomorrow, in Hillsboro. Just come out and see... you don't have to run if you don't want to. But I guarentee... you'll WANT to :D

All Tracs run in PGT or in my case, OPEN class... which runs in the MORNING. From about 9:30 - 11:30 AM.

See some of you there? New paint job is being "unveiled" this weekend. ;)

Best,

Scott Kovalik
88 st165
ORG SCCA RX DIR
NORPAC RX DIR
----------

124Spider

DKOV":1qreexxb said:
124Spider":1qreexxb said:
Where else are people that nice?

RALLY Cross... of course :)
I hear you; which car should I take to a rally cross--the ST165 :) or the S2000 in slicks :rofl: ?

And rally cross has the advantage that they don't care about oil leaks. :p

But it has the disadvantage of being really hard on the car, especially at our local location, Pacific Raceways. It's hard enough keeping these things on the road.... But I hear it's great fun.

PreGrid

I agree... Pacific was torturous!!!

BUT... Portland has some pretty nice and smoot courses. I'd run your S2000 out in Portland. Note, I said YOUR S2000. ;)

Scott
------

AWDios

Yeah track days are more expensive for sure. I haven't actually done an Autox yet, so I can't really compare. I'll let you all know how I feel about the Rallx, I'll be leaving work in about 2 hours to head down that way.

Zeus

CodingParadox":3oied2gu said:
Hah, maybe I'll come _up_ for some of yours. 30-50 people - how many runs do you guys get? We just got 3 runs at the most recent autocross. Kinda a total gip.

dude thats all we get :p

1 practice and 3 timed runs.. on rare occasions we have enough time for some fun runs after but lately the organization has been so slow that that doesnt happen often

saved_1992

just got done with my first solo II event :D very very fun and did not hurt my car either (88). went through tech inspection, went to register and they asked what number do you want? well i like 1 they said great you will go first :shock: now i will know better, at least i did not hit any cones all day, and ended up from a 45 sec first run to my best of 39.8 sec.
out of 5 runs.