ISO: ST165 Shortblock in the PacNW

CodingParadox

I'm trying to find anyone with an ST165 block to sell me. I kinda desperately need to get a car back on the road since I'm currently carless.

I have a working set of crank and pistons/rods/bearings/etc., I just need a new block, since mine's cracked. Anyone?..

I still have my 165 motor that spun a rod bearing. It has 170k on it. I haven't taken it a part but im pretty sure thats all thats wrong with it. I don't know what a fair price for it is. I wasn't planning on getting rid of it (I wanted to put it in a ae86) but I really need a downpipe for my car. So I think somewhere around $350? for the short block or $500 for the long block.

CodingParadox

I'm holding off on this temporarily pending either finding a good deal on a 165 shortblock, or until I find that my JDM SW20 engine doesn't work. (I'm in process of trying to install it in my 185, we'll see how that goes.)

PreGrid

Just wanted to jump in... A buddy of mine at a machine shop is going to cold weld my old cracked block. He swears it'll hold up. He runs a race engine shop so I tend to believe him.

I don't think he intends to charge me for it.

I think I can pass it off to you if you still need one.

Scott
-------

CodingParadox

Interesting option... Where was it cracked, exactly?...

I'm only planning on running stock power on it, so as long as it can hold up to a lean and mean 8-9psi, I'm fine... I just don't really want to dump a 200$ gasket kit and all the time it's going to take to rebuild this thing into it only to have it eat shit on me in a few days, if ya know what I mean.

PreGrid

I asked Harold about the block fix and it's what is done to repair blocks as the Industry Standard. He swears it'll take race abuse let alone the stock stuff.

I asked around to another engine builder or two to see if it's possible and they all agree that it is. Of course, they also agree that putting the money into any car that is nearly 20 years old is a waste... of course, they don't know what an all trac REALLY is though either.

LOL!

Scott
-------

CodingParadox

Okay, in that case, I'm fairly interested... Do you know if the block is going to need to be bored out or can it be used at stock specs? What was the state of your set of internals at the time that you pulled it?