Rpz123isme

We need an offical date that we will stick to! so throw some numbers and vote

Same as last just Date's
1-May 25th 6pm-Rpz
2-
3-
4-

suzq044

May 25th is a Sunday Night - I'm sure most people won't be able to make that, simply because of the thing called "Monday". lol

How bout that Friday or Saturday? [23rd, or 24th]

suzq044

also - the heaviness at the beach has really been fluctuating with the temperature, the hotter it is, the more crowded. But the lot has yet to be full. :wink:

935motorsports

It all depends on if it is a socal meet or san diego meet.

Socal meets are historically further north, so that people can come down. San diego meets, are usually in mission bay.

I always picked mission bay since it was not as far from carlsbad, escondidio, and south county (eastlake, san ysidro) people can drive equally far.

We used to alternate, every 6 months we would have a meet at mission bay, and another at cerritos, long beach, orange county area.

Considering a cerritos meet is being proposed for summer, a mini SD meet at the end of May might be a good idea to get the SD crowd re-organized.

turbo4wd

A beach setting was considered the last time we planned the BBQ, but there were a few things that came up that made us choose Cerritos Regional over a beach:

1. From Newport all the way up to Dockweiler, its very hard to find a large chunk of parking to accommodate everyone coming.

2. Typically the parking location and the BBQ location are not close to each other at the beach.

3. The beach is a very open / public place and when combined with #2, concerns of security regarding people's rides came into question. Its hard to enjoy the bbq, and people's rides at the same time in the same area.

4. A few people weren't interested in tracking sand into their cars or having them coated with sea salt - especially when they had spent the previous day cleaning it inside/out.

The nice things about Cerritos Regional were:

1. We were able to reserve a spot to BBQ that was only about 10 feet away from the parking lot where we were able to fit 20 alltracs, and several other cars.

2. Because of #1, people were easily able to walk over to grab some food, and walk back to chit-chat with anyone about cars without making it a hike..

2. It's a very large park (also dog friendly) in a nice area with very light traffic.

3. It's located in between Orange County and LA County which makes it easy for a lot of owners to come out - We've had guys come from as far south as SD (Robert) and guys come from as far north as SB (Adrian)..

A few of us even went out afterward to grab a few brews and just recount the day.

The great weather is nice, but we tried to focus on the people and the cars, and a location that would be easy for everyone rather than putting a priority on sand & sun.. I can't comment on Fiesta Island since I've never been there, but I just wanted to give you a clue as to why we had picked the park over other locations in the past..

The main thing here is to hold the event - tell everyone, and hopefully most (if not all) can show up and you guys can have a great time..

suzq044

I would just rather make it as far away from "oh-noes Police" areas as possible. lol - Call me paranoid, but with the backlash of police visiting parking lots like this, they'll claim racing & illegal mods, whether you're part of a meet or not. It happened about 2 mos ago too.
This was in Riverside btw: Video LINK -
And this was just a car meet @ Hooters Restaruant. Families going out to eat and showing their cars, enjoying the company & stories of those who have the same car, just like here. People not involved with the meet also got tickets or got their cars impounded. This is why I am paranoid of the police.

935motorsports

It hasn't been a problem in the past, and it shouldn't be a problem in the future.

The police will come if:

- You loiter in the parking lot
- You park incorrectly (meet photos)
- Demonstration of speed (hauling ass as you leave the meet)
- Engine revving (showing off blow off valve)
- Block driving lanes (standing in the middle of the lot where cars need to pass)

The only problem we have had is people wandering around parking lots. The park officials do not like this and I have done my best at meets that I have run to make sure that people stay clear of the driving lanes.

As long as you gather, have something to do (not just stand there), and respect the people around you, it won't be a problem. At mission bay, you can set up the cars next to the grass. This way you are standing on the grass not the parking lot.

If you have something illegal in your car, that is another story.

turbo4wd

To add to what Robert was saying - we actually had a couple of Sherriff's pass through last time and they were very cool and didn't give any of us a hard time.

Any public place like a beach or park is going to be subject to possible Police patrols.. it just depends on the cop himself.. Maybe we caught him on a good day.. then again Cerritos has a relatively low crime to begin with so the cops are a bit more "relaxed"...

SD in contrast, was one of the first cities in the country to start impounding and crushing cars with aftermarket mods.. and Riverside has had a street racing problem for the last 15 years.. and at this point are almost zero tolerance..

935motorsports

I was approached recently, in a car that was not mine. My customer was picking up his 2000 celica and I wanted to meet him in a parking lot where it was well lit, rather then my house which was dark.

It was pretty late and I parked sideways in a fairly empty parking lot. His buddy dropping him off also parked sideways and we stood there for a bit admiring the engine bay.

The cops saw this and rolled in. They asked us why we were there, and if the car was a "race car". We showed them the engine, explained the circumstances, and all was fine. They complimented us on the cars and continued on their way.

I still feel that if you aren't "afraid" of the police, you will have better luck. I'd invite any law enforcement to stop by at one of our meets and chat with us.