New ST165 owner in SE Pa needs help

turbo MKI

How's it going. I just got an '88 alltrac and it needs some help. I'm a huge toyota fan, mainly messing w/ RWD celicas and all gen supras. I have my own shop and half decent back ground w/ cars but I certainly could use some help w/ this alltrac from someone local who knows them in and out. I'm in kind of a tough spot as I am recovering from a pretty severe accident and am pretty limited to what I can physically do at this time, but really need to get the issues sorted out w/ the car ASAP. From what I was told when I bought it, its only real issue was that it had some oil leaks, which was fine - I just planned on getting to them once I was doing better... but it turns out to have some running issues as well. It typically wouldnt be a big deal, I have wanted to buy this car for a year or two and absolutely love it, its just bad timing as I was planning on something that I could just put gas in and drive (so to speak) for the time being.
It has about 175K on it, has a 7M-GTE CT-26, '92 ST185 stock exhaust, 15" '92 GT rims, but mostly stock other wise. Problems are : runs like crap when cold (hesitates/ stumbles when first started) but then idle and run alright as it warms up (during light driving). But once it gets into boost, it breaks up badly, stumbles and shoots out a huge cloud of black smoke if you stay in it. So far I've only put about 115miles on it, but its used almost 3/4 of a tank! (thats driving it easy) I've checked for intake/ I/C connections for cracks or loose clamps but it made no difference. Air cleaner is fine. Plugs are new, but I think it could use a set of wires. I ordered a cap and rotor (just need to pick it up from the dealer). I checked for codes - they were 41, 43, 51 & 52. Also, while checking out the intake/ air cleaner - I noticed that the AFM was very oily inside; very surprised that no code came up for it.
I live near Quakertown - just about 1/2 way between Allentown and Philly. I'd really appreciate any help and advice as well as just getting to meet any fellow alltrac owners! Thanx

3sgtenavyman

hey Damon, my name is Jonathan i am in willow grove at the navy base, and also own an 165 alltrac. i have helped put a 185 motor in to 165 body (when 5speedgt4 owned his) about a year go. In may I blew up an oil pump, 2 rod barings, and a main, so i bought a 185 bottomend and working on putting it together after i get all of it back from the machine shop if you wan't help you call me on my cell to set up a time i can come over and take a look.

Joanthan

(423) 255-4152 cell1
(402) 432-3116 cell2

turbo MKI

Joanthan - Just wanted to thank you again for your help! The car was fun to drive even when running poorly, but its so much better now! Again, it was great meeting you and I really appreciate your help!
3sgtenavyman":37bbiten said:
hey Damon, my name is Jonathan i am in willow grove at the navy base, and also own an 165 alltrac. i have helped put a 185 motor in to 165 body (when 5speedgt4 owned his) about a year go. In may I blew up an oil pump, 2 rod barings, and a main, so i bought a 185 bottomend and working on putting it together after i get all of it back from the machine shop if you wan't help you call me on my cell to set up a time i can come over and take a look.

Joanthan

(423) 255-4152 cell1
(402) 432-3116 cell2

3sgtenavyman

not really i would just call in but i would have to have a doc. note and he would look at me and say WTF get back to work. Damn navy some slave drivers lol J/k