Lexus SC430 - what's your opinion?

gt4play

I know this strays a little off topic, but I was curious what other peoples' thoughts (maybe first hand experience) were about this car.

The wife and I are considering offloading the Mini Cooper (resale value on that thing is great) in favor of something a little more (okay, a LOT more) plush. It's kind of ridiculous, but these SC's lose a good 75% of their initial value (02's and 03's) even if their mileage is still under 60k to 70k miles. We went and drove one the other day and what a fanTASTIC car. It's just this particular one had the crap beat out of it - shame.

Some people think they're ugly - others think they're gorgeous. This one I looked at yesterday, (despite the fact that it looked like somebody let their muddy, 200lb husky run rampant through the interior) looked quite sharp with the top down.

I think the one thing that disappointed me the most is their attempt to call this car a 4-seater. The back seats are nonsense. Unless you want to wrap yourself around the steering wheel while driving, nobody could comfortably sit behind the driver.

At any rate, just curious what peoples' thoughts were. :)

LEXUS_SC430_01.jpg

gt4play

BoostedBlueToyotas":xvbxzp9g said:
WTF, 7am, what did you do play video games all night .......

Its not what we think, its what lynn wants ..... :D

Hhahaha - contrary to popular belief, "I" am buying this, so I have some say (I should hope).

Mafix

personally, i think they are hideous. but they run like hell. and it is all "plush". up to you. i'd rather have a sc400 or a sc300.

gt4play

You know, at one point I thought the same thing. But slap a nice set of wheels and tint out the windows and you have an altogether different looking car. From 02 to present, I have yet to see a nice looking stock set of wheels on those.

But really, you guys think this looks hideous?

2872.jpg

WarTowels

It's a very two faced car.

Sometimes it looks awesome, other times it looks like a granny mobile.

chi2005_sc430.jpg

viv-sc430.jpg

I think the car suffers from not looking quite aggressive enough, and the color choices they used on the cars are often very dull and bland.

-Towels

gt4play

BoNkErZz":jditm2n9 said:
forget a 430 get a sc300 with 5 speed - thats my vote

Baaah, SC300 is too old school at this point - and boring (unless a Supra motor gets swapped in). People are suggesting 300 and 400, but what about the convertible aspect? Is this just being overlooked? Is 'wind in the hair' (and in my case, sun beaming off my bald head) considered over-rated?

Mafix

you realize you are asking "sports car" enthusiasts whether or not they like convertables. i have yet to meet one.
i just think it's the overall look and shape of the car none of us like. but if you and lynn are set on one then get it by all means. anything is better then the mini in my eyes.

gt4play

Mafix":3mdx0lod said:
you realize you are asking "sports car" enthusiasts whether or not they like convertables. i have yet to meet one.
i just think it's the overall look and shape of the car none of us like. but if you and lynn are set on one then get it by all means. anything is better then the mini in my eyes.

Haha - you really do not like that Mini do you? lol. Well, yes - it's a forum for sports car enthusiasts (of course). And believe me, it's something I appreciate: a built MR2, now 2 alltracs and the G35...guess I'm looking for some variety. :)

BTW, is a SC300 really all that much more 'sports car' than a 430? The 430 will dust the hell out of a 300, convertible or not. It's just a hardtop with less-plush if you ask me.

I do agree that these cars can look like Grandma's daily grocery getter - these pale colors of gold and tan and that other pinkish hue...ugh. Horrible. Silver might be acceptable, but the BLACK (with the right wheels) do it justice.

We're keeping an eye out. Prob gonna put the Mini up for sale this week to see what kind of traffic it gets. Contemplating selling the bike (instead of the 2nd alltrac) as (1) it's worth more and (2) I have determined I am so much more a car guy than I am a bike guy...

kickyah

gt4play":2fn91cof said:
Mafix":2fn91cof said:

Haha - you really do not like that Mini do you? lol. Well, yes - it's a forum for sports car enthusiasts (of course). And believe me, it's something I appreciate: a built MR2, now 2 alltracs and the G35...guess I'm looking for some variety. :)

BTW, is a SC300 really all that much more 'sports car' than a 430? The 430 will dust the hell out of a 300, convertible or not. It's just a hardtop with less-plush if you ask me.

I do agree that these cars can look like Grandma's daily grocery getter - these pale colors of gold and tan and that other pinkish hue...ugh. Horrible. Silver might be acceptable, but the BLACK (with the right wheels) do it justice.

We're keeping an eye out. Prob gonna put the Mini up for sale this week to see what kind of traffic it gets. Contemplating selling the bike (instead of the 2nd alltrac) as (1) it's worth more and (2) I have determined I am so much more a car guy than I am a bike guy...

It's not about being a car guy or a bike guy. It's about a car guy with a bike that is faster then most cars. Oh yeah...the 430 is great...for a 60 year old ;)

gt4play

kickyah":3pvcpz9z said:
gt4play":3pvcpz9z said:
Mafix":3pvcpz9z said:

It's not about being a car guy or a bike guy. It's about a car guy with a bike that is faster then most cars. Oh yeah...the 430 is great...for a 60 year old ;)

Enter the peanut gallery......

gt4play

I don't see too many 60yr olds driving this:

AkinaGhost176.jpg

If that's a car for an old fart, I'll take it. ;-)

Wait, I am an old fart...

PatmanBBE

I think the car is sweet as man. You have a good eye I think. That last pic is pretty dope with the staggard wheels. They can look granny with the stock wheels but thats a quick and easy fix. If it drives nice and you like it then buy it. just get those nasty stock wheels off asap!