angle grinder, rear strut conversion (now junkyard reviews)

lumbercis

Hi all!

Two random unrelated things I was hoping a local might be able to help me out with.

1) An angle grinder. I found a parts car and have an estimate for the rust repair work I need. Now I just need to go cut the body panels off the parts car. I've been lead to believe that an angle grinder with a cutting wheel would be the best tool for the job. I'd like to borrow one if anyone has one to lend. I'd just buy one, but I don't forsee using it for much other than this one thing. I'm willing to leave you cash in the amount of a new one in case of damage and just for insurance purposes.

2) Also tool-related. Does anyone around here have the tools/expertise to help me with a rear strut insert conversion? My suspension is so dead it's not even funny. I'd like to put in some cheapy KYB GR-2 inserts until I decide what coilover setup to go with. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks all!

J.

xeril

Whereabouts do you live in the DC area?

I know a couple of us are from around the area. I could possibly help you out when the weather turns a bit nicer out.

88gt4DE

lumbercis":1jpd32gx said:
Hi all!

2) Also tool-related. Does anyone around here have the tools/expertise to help me with a rear strut insert conversion? My suspension is so dead it's not even funny. I'd like to put in some cheapy KYB GR-2 inserts until I decide what coilover setup to go with. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks all!

J.

In the middle of that now ... get a donor set of blown rears and a donor set of fronts to cut the top nut off of to start with , especially if you are using your car as a daily driver ... check out my project thread ... im almost done with mine ...

lumbercis

Hmm, maybe I'll just replace the front inserts first and see how that does. I remember doing some suspension work before and realizing after the fact that the car was almost undriveable due to the alignment being messed up after having unbolted everything. Luckily my alignment shop was right down the street so could limp the car there. But I don't have that luxury now.

What do you guys do to get the alignment close enough to drive to the alignment shop after suspension work? I don't want to have to pay the alignment guy for something as simple as bolting in new struts.

J.

88gt4DE

Normally its not out that bad if everything is tight when your done ... toe will be out slightly ... anything else would need camber adjusting bolts and etc ... now if yer messing with tie roads and other stuff different story ...

xeril

I wouldn't bother with getting a donor set of fronts as the install is quite easy. Basically, it involves removing the top nut, pouring out the internals, adding a little bit of oil, place in the insert, then install the top nut again.

The rear on the other hand, involves slightly more effort (especially if you are going with the cheaper struts.) Koni seems a bit ingenious in that they installed threads on the bottom of their insert so that a bolt holds it down to the housing, whereas the other strut companies involve a bit of welding I believe?

I haven't done any of the rear housing installs but I'm leaning on the route of the Koni's due to it appearing much easier, better strut, and my welding isn't quite the greatest yet :p

But let me know if you need any help, I live nearby Suprakid (right next to GMU) so I'm not too far off.

88gt4DE

yeah I got all cause they came together thanks to a local member , the fronts we are using for the top nuts actually came off 2 different lexus es300's mid 90's I think. They did change to sealed units later on so look before you pull them if in the boneyard :doh: ... as long as tube is same diameter your good to go ... so donor for rear to build and grab some old toyota fronts from anything that the tube is the same size ... :smokes:

88gt4DE

lumbercis":384lyyv0 said:
Anybody have the big pipe cutter you need to cut the rear tops off?

J.

Dewd .. home depot ... got 4 tube cuts on mine so far and she's sweet still ...

lumbercis

88gt4DE":3g6uaj2w said:
lumbercis":3g6uaj2w said:

J.

Well, the point is I'd rather not buy a bunch of obscure tools I'm only going to use once. If no one in the area has one I will, but I'd rather avoid it as I also live in a condo and don't have a lot of storage space for tools.

Thanks
J.

88gt4DE

lumbercis":2y55p2r4 said:
88gt4DE":2y55p2r4 said:
lumbercis":2y55p2r4 said:

J.

Well, the point is I'd rather not buy a bunch of obscure tools I'm only going to use once. If no one in the area has one I will, but I'd rather avoid it as I also live in a condo and don't have a lot of storage space for tools.

Thanks
J.

I feel yer pain there , apartment myself .. thank god for my bro storing a few things for me .. I'd let ya use mine but 2 hrs away and gas verses 25 bucks for a brand new ... :shrug:

97JZA80

They are inexpensive tools and honestly if you ever foresee yourself buying a home its a plumbers tool not an automotive tool so in this case...a good investment. Man your just a little out of our way or else we'd be working with you alot :)

The point about getting a donor pair to mock up a new set is a good one...eliminates down time.

lumbercis

Yeah, there was a set for sale I was going to pick up on the boards, but shipping alone was $100. Not really worth it just for convenience.

Well, I'll probably do the fronts first and see if that will tide me over for a while. This isn't my final suspension setup, just something to get me around in more comfort than my current blown struts. :p

I guess I need to go ahead and pick up an angle grinder. Any recommendations? Is a 7 amp enough to cut body panels?

J.

97JZA80

I think that tool is only 30 or so dollars at lowes man. The pipe cutter tool.

Ask willie what he was using for an angle grinder, he did all that panel restoration on his and Im sure could give some good advice.

Shaggz00

It's super easy, bro (nevermind that I'm a welder/fabricator by profession, lol).

If you wanna meet up at my storage in Rockville when the weather gets a little warmer, we can knock it out. Or, if Eric (esracing) is down, we can possibly get them done at his house (in a garage).

I made a special alignment tool specifically for this job, and I have the welder/grinder/alignment tool, etc.

You'll need to provide the old rears, the front donor set, and the inserts you will use -so we can get our depth right-.

text me, cuz I haven't been on very often 240.441.2552

-Avi

lumbercis

Thanks man!!! :notworthy:

I'll hit you up in a month or two when it's better messing with cars weather. If you need a hand with anything in meantime let me know.

J.

xeril

the weather has been great for working on cars this whole week... friday is calling for 70's?! i love this spring weather :)

88gt4DE

Mine are ready to install , damn internet is down at home so i cant get the pictures up yet :bangshead: Going in Sat !!!!

lumbercis

Actually, does anyone have or know where I can source some blown front struts as donors for the top sleeves locally? Struts are so heavy that when they come up on the forums the shipping is like $100 which makes it not really worth it.

I can get brand new rear struts from toyota for $142 and $17.50 shipping (don't know why shipping is so much cheaper from toyota than what I've been quoted on the forums..

I think struts tops from some years of Camry work as well. Are there any pick and pull junkyards in the area? There were tons of them when I lived out in LA.

J.

88gt4DE

I say pick and pull something , we used es300 fronts ... early 90's ... they change to the sealed ones so ya gotta look before ya start rippin ... 8) So yes camry = es300 .. same thing ... they will work ... :) gotta be a yard somewhere out there man ....