Review of ditymechanics (OMFG YES!)

lumbercis

http://www.ditymechanics.com/

ditymechanics!!! Where have you been all my life?! :D

Since I moved to DC, I've had a perennial problem... where to work on my car that won't piss off the neighbors?

ditymechanics in Sterling is the answer to my prayers.

I had what I thought was a time-consuming but "simple" job ( :rofl: ): replace the front and rear springs with some Megan lowering springs and the front inserts with KYB gr-2s (saving the rear conversion for later).

To put it bluntly, I would not have been able to finish this job at all if I hadn't been doing it at this place. Not only due to the use of the lift, impact gun, and spring compressors, but mostly because of the staff mechanic that's there for advice and hands-on help when you need it.

a list of stumbling blocks that would have stalled or stopped progress...
-couldn't get the rear endlink bolts off at first.
-gr-2 inserts too long, needed to be shown how to use the grinder to grind off a ferrule at the bottom of the strut to shorten it.
-couldn't get rear strut off due to the direction of the bottom two bolts. Needed to swing the brake caliper away. Broke off rusted in break caliper bolt. Mechanic had to apply heat and some vice grips to get it out, then went and found me a new bolt from stuff they had laying around.
-needed to be shown how to correctly use spring compressor.
-then needed help on how to correctly reinstall springs

I got there about 11 and got out about 4:30. I think the hourly rate is only about 20 or 30 bucks, which includes a standard tool set (but no air tools or special tools). Also, the mechanic's help is extra. Being that I got air tools, used special tools, and needed tons of mechanic assistance, I consider it a bargain that I got out of there owing about $240 if I remember correctly. Although I didn't get an itemized receipt for what I was charged for, which would have been nice. Considering the mechanic had to hand-hold me through a lot of it, I was very happy with the pricing. I really think the mechanic went above and beyond the call helping me out.

Of course, if you only use the lift and standard tools (or just an air gun), and don't need tons of help, you can get out of there significantly cheaper/hour than I did. :eek:wned:

I also inquired about a welder and they said they have the equipment and can call someone in if you need small welding jobs done (I'll likely use this service for some exhaust work and rear strut conversion).

All in all, I can't speak highly enough of this place. The place is clean, the staff professional, and the prices reasonable. What more can you ask for?

J.

97JZA80

Sounds like a great resource for diy people trying to get some stuff done on their own and learn a little. You have access to tools, space and advice from the staff guy. Great place...especially in a metro area...