leaking gas tank--yeah I'm back

granite statah

What's up folks. I'm coming out of hibernation after a looooong winter nap. Only to wake up and find that it's raining.

Anyway, I got everything put back together that I took apart last fall. So last weekend I fired it up, which it did right off, and everything is looking sweet for about 30 seconds. Then gas starts POURING out of the back-left corner of the tank. I shut her down, and the gas stops. Everything looks solid, no obvious holes from below, although the tank has that plastic cover on it. So I dry the floor and start it again. For 15-20 seconds, nothing, then POURING again. WTF?!?!?

Someone posted some really good instructions for dropping the tank, but once I do that what are my options? Anyone know if these tanks have a habit of rusting at the seam? I guess that's my "welcome back"......

RIalltrac

I would definately point my finger at a line, otherwise it would be leaking all the time. Do some investigating, I need a good reason to see how all that is replace and I have my own tools :D

Oh by the way, welcome back :evil:

granite statah

Does the fuel pump turn on with the key in the "Acc" position? I tried this and it didn't leak, but I might not have left it on long enough to build up pressure.

Since I don't know squat about the tank:
1) is the return line welded to the tank?
2) is it possible to only remove the plastic cover on the tank, without having to drop the tank?

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to getting back on the road.

GMan

> granite statah
> Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:17 am

Hey Glad you are back !

> Since I don't know squat about the tank:

Got the BGB ?

> 1) is the return line welded to the tank?

Nope, rubber line.
(If I remember corectly ? :)

> 2) is it possible to only remove the plastic cover
> on the tank, without having to drop the tank?

I think the only way is to drop the tank. :-(

Time for a Supra pump upgrade anyways ? :)

Regards;

dluke

granite statah":3fpawulo said:
2) is it possible to only remove the plastic cover on the tank, without having to drop the tank?

The one on the bottom of the tank?

If so, then yeah. It's pretty easy (the only tricky part is maneuvering it to it off of the tank after you remove the screws, but a little wiggling and you should be able to free it).

granite statah

yeah man, that's the one to which I'm referring. It looked like just 6-8 screws holding it to the tank; I was just afraid that these screws went INTO the tank.

Does anyone know if the fuel pump comes on with the key in "Acc"? I hate to keep starting the car every time I want to check for leaks. Thanks all.

Shaggz00

If you want the fuel pump to turn on without starting the car, take off your air filter so you can see the little AFM "door" turn the key to the ON position and push open the flap with your finger. you should hear the pump come on and start pushing gas.

RIalltrac

Shaggz00":27wta1k0 said:
If you want the fuel pump to turn on without starting the car, take off your air filter so you can see the little AFM "door" turn the key to the ON position and push open the flap with your finger. you should hear the pump come on and start pushing gas.

would that flood the engine?

Mafix

nope not if there is no injector pulse. and all the little screws on the tank go to a flange and not into the tank...replaced mine. but pretty much to do anything on the tank is needs to be dropped although it's really not that bad to do. (much easier empty)