Grinding Gears!

A

Anonymous

Hey guys, I bought an 185 recently, but I am experiencing a lot of grinding when I shift at higher rpms. I have no problem downshifting cuz I rev match. could my syncro be out? if so, where can I get a replacement? I dunno, maybe it's my clutch wearing down. it is oem.[/b]

toayoztan

First thing i'd do is change the tranny fluid. I've seen about 75% of the time, it solves the problem.

Bryan

toayoztan

omgitsroy326":37c67t17 said:
oldnotdead06":37c67t17 said:
Mine grinds sometimes going into 3rd....do u think changing the tranny fluid will help?

yes try synchromesh

I read don't use syncromesh. Something about our transfer case and rear diff (obviously the rear diff is seperate from tranny) having hypoid gears, which you're not supposed to use with syncromesh, but rather synthetic blend/full synthetic. Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

Bryan

dluke

toayoztan":2bvgc6vh said:
I read don't use syncromesh. Something about our transfer case and rear diff (obviously the rear diff is seperate from tranny) having hypoid gears, which you're not supposed to use with syncromesh, but rather synthetic blend/full synthetic. Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

IIRC the BGB says to use a GL5 and syncromesh is a GL4.

My grinding went away when I put some Mobile 1 GL5 (75w-90) when I changed my clutch.

MetalliKAT97

Synchros COULD be out...but try changing the fluids first...

I dont know of anyone who sells them seperate unless i havent looked hard enough. My 92's gearbox didnt like to go into 3rd it waited till the RPM's dropped.

Now with the 93's it doesnt like to go into 2nd same situation.

Im using Mobil 1 75w-90 so im gonna change it to synchromesh .

I dont know if it will really help unless the synchro is really THAT worn. :oops:

wizzards581

mine grind alot on high rpms both 2nd and 3rd. change to syncro and it went away. now about a month later about 500 miles its comming back.

so slave and master cylinder should be next huh?

MetalliKAT97

wizzards581":2busbzok said:
mine grind alot on high rpms both 2nd and 3rd. change to syncro and it went away. now about a month later about 500 miles its comming back.

so slave and master cylinder should be next huh?

y????? that should have to do with the grinding....unless your lacking in pedal feel /fluid feed. Then you should leave those alone....

jprine01

The only reason clutch master/slave would cause grinding if it was not fully dis-engaging when shfiting. If that is your case you can actually adjust the rod on the master cylinder to give you more movement of the slave cylinder.

Mine grinds like downshifting to 2nd at high rpms at so on too. When you guys find a answer let me know, heh. Its off the car now I thought about rebuilding the synros but it seems like everybody says fluid makes such a difference I was just going to do that.

dluke

jprine01":25vlp7fd said:
Mine grinds like downshifting to 2nd at high rpms at so on too. When you guys find a answer let me know, heh. Its off the car now I thought about rebuilding the synros but it seems like everybody says fluid makes such a difference I was just going to do that.

I had a good transmission shop look at mine (which would grind when shifting up into second unless I did it really slowly). They said everything looked like it was new still (~100,000 miles). Mobil 1 seemed to fix it for me, but I also changed the clutch and flywheel so the revs fall off quicker when shifting, so that may be part of it for me.

I've seen people post on the board that new/filled mounts can fix the problem sometimes as well as new shifter cables helping.

... just some other things to check.

Toxygene

Mine seems to only grind when I'm putting it in reverse and sometimes it won't let me put it into 1st and I have to let off the clutch and push back in and then it lets me get into 1st. What's that all about?

theUNYTEDone

idk if it's the meshing...but yes, mines grinds somewhat when going into reverse. sometimes, it even goes into a "false reverse", where my shifter seems to be in about the right place, but when i let my clutch out, it sounds like this HORRIBLE grinding-clicking type of sound...