hey Newbie to celicas

Droptop93

hey i dont actually have a alltrac but im plannig on swappnig the 3sgte in to my 93 celica convertible. and hopefully i can get the fund and the time to figure out how to put the all-wheel drive system on as well. I know what you thinking its a waste of time and money..... just buy a alltrac, i agree partially but how many droptops do you see with allwheel drive? it probly too far fetched as ive heard in the past on celicatech.com but i think im gonna try it. um my car is red if you were wondering.. i just purchased a JDM front bumper with the round fogs. i hear they are rare and i cant find the foglights/brackets any where.... so if any knows where to get them let me know. once i get a camera and the bumper on ill take pics.

toayoztan

People say it's a waste of time and money b/c you'll have to rerrange your floorpans/underside for the prop shaft to go down the middle. Your floorpan and gas tank are in the way. Otherwise, if you know a friend who can do a lot of custom fabricating for you, go for it.

If you do decide to go through with it, keep us updated!

Bryan

2RM

Dont forget that convertable body has to compencate for the missing roof with beefed up bottom so by cutting away the con. floor pans and replacing them with alltrac once you may be in risck of folding your car in half :doh: So I guess what Im saying is you may need to strengthen the body

Droptop93

i can probly do most of the fabrication myself with the use of my friends shop, and im a graduating automotive and body program student from the college here in town(may 11 ) so i am preety good with cars. i plan on reinforcing the body some how and adding a roll bar kinda like the saleen mustangs have just to be unique. this will also tie the body togather to make it stronger.

jlspec

Why not just take a ST185 and turn it into a drop top? Would be much eaiser and cheaper. Like 300ZX and supras that have been turn into ones.

toayoztan

Are convertibles heavier? I can see why it would and wouldn't, but i could have sworn i read that somewhere....

But in any case, that is a better idea. Grab up an alltrac and convert it to convertible.

Bryan

hacker_720

If it's almost inposible to put in the AWD, maybe just put in the 3SGTE and the LSD from the MR2, that would still be a really fast car, just a little slipery off the line.

GMan

" Project Celica : from a USDM 130hp fwd into a JDM powered Alltrac with
Allwheel drive conversion "

http://www.oregonizedimports.com/pages/5/index.htm

Good luck on Your swap. There are Several 3sgte's into FWD convertibles.
None AWD that I know of. Would be Unique.

Got another car ? You are going to need it. This swap does not look easy at all.
I hope you have the funds as well, a shop is going to charge you an arm
and a leg. If you are Lucky to have the skills; or a friend that does, then it is only parts. :)

Regards;
----------------------------

jprine01

Not imposible, I remember reading one guys website that converted his convertable st18x to AWD. He might of used a st185 gas tank and modified the floor pan etc, but he did get it to work. Convertables usually already have extra reinforcement because of lack of roof, but if your going to make it awd and turbo then you should still strengthen it a bit.

If i recall right he was in europe somewhere.