st165 hood

alltech72

im looking for the best hood out there for my st165 i prefer one with a scoop i want to put an bigger water to air intercooler or fmic

theUNYTEDone

then try finding one with a vent, rather than a scoop (the WTA intercoolers handle with just a vent) <--- just look at the Rally spec 185's...and 205's. other than that...i know there was a bloke from UK (165 named betsy) who had an evo style vent on his car...try finding him and chatting it up about sources/etc.

d1alltrac

there arent any aftermarket hoods that i know of for the 165, there might be a couple for 162's that would work but i havent seen any.

i would say your best bet would be to find the vent or scoop you want online or something, then buy a junkyard hood from a 162 and mold in the vent or whatever.

there was supposed to be some carbon fiber 165 hoods with RC style vents made a while back but i dont think it ever actually happened.

Gary

alltech72":2truy2gl said:
i prefer one with a scoop i want to put an bigger water to air intercooler or fmic
Why would you want a scoop if your are going with w/a IC or FMIC?

d1alltrac

alltech72":33axvp7l said:
more for the look, ill probally get a carbon fiber one. you said the 162 hood may fit

162 hoods will fit (my hood is off an ST) but if you are going with a 185RC/205 intercooler you will probably run into the same clearance issues with the stock hood since they are the same. with an aftermarket 162 hood there is no telling, i dont even know of any aftermarket 162 hoods though.

also, you may want to consider a vent instead of a scoop, a scoop wont help with anything other than looks but a vent will significantly lower under hood temps and they still enhance the appearance too. that and non-functional hood scoops are gay IMO.

esracing

here is a pic of mine 162 hood with hole cut in it and fiberglass screwed to it :smokes: [/img]

Attachments

• AllTrac-MR2meet6.jpg
    AllTrac-MR2meet6.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 29
  • snowytrac0067ne.png
    snowytrac0067ne.png
    442.5 KB · Views: 33

haireball9

so which is better to vent it and let the hot air out, or scoop and force cold air over the intercooler?

or is it just personal preff?

Gary

If it is a w/a IC or FMIC, it better to vent heat out.
If it's a/a TMIC like stock ST185 or ARC TMIC, you'll NEED a scoop.

theUNYTEDone

Gary":303tqyjq said:
If it is a w/a IC or FMIC, it better to vent heat out.
If it's a/a TMIC like stock ST185 or ARC TMIC, you'll NEED a scoop.

amen to what gary said...i'll be on the search for a white CS hood soon (still running the stocker with my FMIC) :doh: