UK Carlos Sainz owner (Now with Pics)

New members MUST post a new intro thread before they can access the rest of the forum.

Postby Meurz » Mon May 29, 2006 8:10 pm

I'd swear I've seen you on other forums too.. :lol:

Nice one Steve, I assume you're keeping the beast after all? 8)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Turbocelica.nl
User avatar
Meurz
Established Member
 
Posts: 2189
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:16 pm
Location: NLD

Postby theUNYTEDone » Mon May 29, 2006 8:20 pm

ah, the fitment issues seem to be relevant with every ssac dpipe..however, the performance gains were awesome....only issues for me were the dipstick tube (barely), taking out my oil filter (insall only, it's fine now), and the heat shield, but that's gone now anyway...it should hold up for ages, given you're running it with the bracket.
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
User avatar
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm
Location: Kamo'ili'ili Town

Postby stevenb » Tue May 30, 2006 6:12 pm

My dipstick tube wasn't really affected bit the level indicator dipstick had to be slightly bent so as to stop touching the downpipe. I have used a cable tie just to pull it away from the downpipe.
The oil filter has not been changed since I fitted the downpipe so will have to cross that bridge when I come to it.
The heatsheild touches the where the sensor goes into the downpipe. I will have to remove the heatsheild and trim around the edge so that it doesn't foul the edges any more.
I would not run a GT4 without a heatsheild...thats asking for trouble.
:shock:
stevenb
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 pm

Postby theUNYTEDone » Tue May 30, 2006 11:39 pm

stevenb wrote:I would not run a GT4 without a heatsheild...thats asking for trouble.
:shock:


why would you say that? there's quite a few of us here that aren't running them.
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
User avatar
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm
Location: Kamo'ili'ili Town

Postby not12listen » Wed May 31, 2006 6:49 am

steven,

great looking CS. :) my fiancee and i purchased a 1988 GT-Four a few months back (black w/ white hood and sunroof). we have a source for the CS motor and transmission. it is missing the ALS though.

i've no doubt that we're still going to enjoy it tremendously.

btw - i have an 86 MR2 (aw11), and an 87 Corolla GTS (ae86). she has an 85 mr2 and an 88 SuperCharged mr2... our roommate has an 88 Supra (ma70).

needless to say, we're all huge toyota fans! :)

again, great looking CS, and i hope she treats you well. :)
not12listen
Club Member
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:37 am
Location: SF Bay Area, Ca

Postby stevenb » Wed May 31, 2006 5:41 pm

theUNYTEDone wrote:
stevenb wrote:I would not run a GT4 without a heatsheild...thats asking for trouble.
:shock:


why would you say that? there's quite a few of us here that aren't running them.


The stock manifold gets very hot so the heatsheild helps to expell the heat from it. Without it the stock manifold can be subjected to greater tolerances thus possibly allowing damage to occur. If you running an aftermarket manifold you'll probably be better off but with a stock manifold I'd choose to keep the heatsheild on.

Steve
stevenb
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 pm

Postby stevenb » Wed May 31, 2006 5:42 pm

not12listen wrote:steven,

great looking CS. :) my fiancee and i purchased a 1988 GT-Four a few months back (black w/ white hood and sunroof). we have a source for the CS motor and transmission. it is missing the ALS though.

i've no doubt that we're still going to enjoy it tremendously.

btw - i have an 86 MR2 (aw11), and an 87 Corolla GTS (ae86). she has an 85 mr2 and an 88 SuperCharged mr2... our roommate has an 88 Supra (ma70).

needless to say, we're all huge toyota fans! :)

again, great looking CS, and i hope she treats you well. :)


Cheers buddy. I like my Toyota's too. I was going to buy a Supra twin turbo but the CS was such a steal when i saw it that I had to snap it up.
i still like the old skool cars though...corolla, levin's MR2 mk1's etc.
stevenb
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 pm

Postby theUNYTEDone » Wed May 31, 2006 5:49 pm

stevenb wrote:
theUNYTEDone wrote:
stevenb wrote:I would not run a GT4 without a heatsheild...thats asking for trouble.
:shock:


why would you say that? there's quite a few of us here that aren't running them.


The stock manifold gets very hot so the heatsheild helps to expell the heat from it. Without it the stock manifold can be subjected to greater tolerances thus possibly allowing damage to occur. If you running an aftermarket manifold you'll probably be better off but with a stock manifold I'd choose to keep the heatsheild on.

Steve


great mentality behind this! however, the temperatures don't seem to bother my car at all...
but as far as i know
it wouldn't even fit with any aftermarket manifolds.
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
User avatar
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm
Location: Kamo'ili'ili Town

Postby stevenb » Wed May 31, 2006 6:12 pm

The stock heatsheild wont fit aftermarket manifolds as you say. Every car is different. Not having a heatsheild with a stock manifold could be more detremental to cars that sit in traffic a lot everyday, eventually leading up to a possibility of warping or cracking. But every car is different.
stevenb
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 pm

Postby theUNYTEDone » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:44 am

i try to avoid arguing, but have you any idea how HEAVY and THiCK the stock manifold is? i'd imagine it'd be almost impossible to crack from being daily driven. i sat in traffic for a total of two hours a day for a few months to and from school. warping is probably a possibility, but again...the flange on the stocker is HUGE. so...slim chance.

the whole purpose of that heat shield is to keep heat generated around the manifold AWAY from the stock top mount intercooler.
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
User avatar
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm
Location: Kamo'ili'ili Town

Postby stevenb » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:41 am

Easy tiger. Your perfectly entitled to your opinion. Plus I think this is going a bit off topic to say the least. :doh:

:lol:
stevenb
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 pm

Previous

Return to New Member Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

cron