Noob...kinda

gt4tified

Hey fellow alltrac lovers,

I registered on this site a little while aback and post ever so often but I don't think I ever introduced myself.

I'm from Trinidad & Tobago, an island in the Caribbean and I own a 1992 JDM alltrac. There are only 2 of these on the island and the guy who owns the other just sold his to somebody on the south side.

I have one question for now: What is my vaccum supposed to read on a basically stock engine (idles well, but because of our pump 90-ron sludge over here my injectors need cleaning often)? When my car is properly warmed up, my vaccum gauge reads 20-22Hg. Is that ok?

theUNYTEDone

hmm...i only ever run 16-19...20 onl happens when im coasting in gear witout giving any gas. don't think i've got a leak....friend's evo runs about the same way

ah, i'm sorry...welcome? seems odd with that coming from somoene who's only been here since january. but obviously, a LOT of hours of my life have been lost on this forum. :evil:

MetalliKAT97

theUNYTEDone":p7f6vrqc said:
a LOT of hours of my life have been lost on this forum. :evil:

Im sure we can all say the same :wink:

and to the actual question...id be more worried if you read less vacuum than more

theUNYTEDone

amen to that. what would generate more than -20 for vac, though? do atmospheric conditions affect it? also, there was a "bracket" for the vac reading to fall into according to my manual...about 16-20. do i need to worry about anything?

gt4tified

Oh, that's great news, that part about being worried about less vaccum. I'm averaging 19 cuz my boost/vac gauge is not set to sero when the engine is off.....its somewhere between the 1-2 In Hg mark. So if my gauge reads 20 then maybe I'm actually on 19?

gt4tified

Oh, and here's a pic taken a while aback...looks pretty much the same, just some stone chipping on the bonnet and front kit.

theUNYTEDone

gt4tified":uthmboig said:
Oh, and here's a pic taken a while aback...looks pretty much the same, just some stone chipping on the bonnet and front kit.

very nice! i still think i'm running with a vac leak, however... :roll: nothing that an engine rebuild won't solve! hehe...just gotta wait and be patient until then...

TomsGT4

gt4tified":2ug7yuq5 said:

I have one question for now: What is my vaccum supposed to read on a basically stock engine (idles well, but because of our pump 90-ron sludge over here my injectors need cleaning often)? When my car is properly warmed up, my vaccum gauge reads 20-22Hg. Is that ok?

17in.Hg cold (idle)
21in.Hg hot (idle)

Sounds like you have a good strong vacuum.

theUNYTEDone

TomsGT4":1ad5rl8q said:
gt4tified":1ad5rl8q said:

17in.Hg cold (idle)
21in.Hg hot (idle)

Sounds like you have a good strong vacuum.

dammit. i'm at 17 when my car's warmed up.
my idle doesn't hunt though, which i'm aware is a characteristic of a vac leak. is it possible for it to idle just fine but still have a leak?

TomsGT4

Well every car might be a little different.
So you're probably ok.
But if you want to be sure just do the standard checks...

- cracked vacuum lines
- clamps are tight & secure
- check that your boost gauge is calibrated to exacly zero when you shut her down.
- hear any air whistling sounds coming from the engine?
- etc...

theUNYTEDone

well...i've got no hunting idle. most of the time, anyway. sometimes during startup she runs on REALLY low revs (about 600) and they just bounce between there and 1000...but it ends up going away <---happens on RARE ocassion...

vac lines are probably original ones...can't afford the downtime to really take a hard look...*sigh* :roll: