what to do??

patch

i have a competly stock 165 dd that i would likre to do some minor things to. any ideas besides intake and exasut?? thaks for the help.

theUNYTEDone

patch":1tqh30i1 said:
i have a competly stock 165 dd that i would likre to do some minor things to. any ideas besides intake and exasut?? thaks for the help.

get it running and maintained properly. :D
NOT bagging on you 165 owners!!! :twisted:

here's my ideas
-downpipe

depends on how radical you'd like to get.

THEN i'd recommend an SB kit. :D

Conan

It depends on your goal and how you define 'minor'. A complete turbo-back exhaust and a good cold air (not just a cone filter) intake will get you started.

theUNYTEDone

Conan":z66t3co9 said:
It depends on your goal and how you define 'minor'. A complete turbo-back exhaust and a good cold air (not just a cone filter) intake will get you started.

i thought "cold air"=irrelevant on turbo cars?
could do well with a straight intake...
and a front mount...

Conan

theUNYTEDone":2n8urmk8 said:
straight as in the one's from bayarea.
I wouldn't call the pipe between the compressor inlet and the AFM an intake, but it doesn't matter :) What matters is that if you do that, and relocate the AFM, you must shield the air filter off the engine bay heat.
theUNYTEDone":2n8urmk8 said:
and if i may ask, what difference does cold air make on a turbo car?
Same as on N/A car - cooler air entering the air filter. Why do you think it doesn't make a difference?

Gurr

I would get the turbo back exhaust first, that really opens up from the crunched up rusty stock one. If you're on a budget you can get the SSAC distributed exhaust (Its not made by them).

A cone filter off the afm helps a little.

Then 2nd gen exhaust manifold and turbo are a good upgrade after that.

A boost controller too, preferably electronic but manual does the trick, you have to a have a boost gauge before this mod though.

That is what I would consider 'minor'. Could also do adjustable cam gears.

toayoztan

theUNYTEDone":12tm94xu said:
Conan":12tm94xu said:
Why do you think it doesn't make a difference?

it's just going to the HOT ass turbo!

But the intercooler cools down the current air temp by a percentage (in most circumstances). It doesn't tehnically lower any temperature of air to a certain temperature.

Bryan

Conan

theUNYTEDone":1j9oayg2 said:
but if i'm thinking correctly, the intercooler's after the turbo, yes?
Yes, and the cooler the air is on the way to the turbo, the cooler it will come out of the intercooler.

Maloy

the colder the air the more dense the air is, the more dense the bigger the bang...big bangs are good for horsepower. :twisted:

omnivore

Cooler air is a twofold positive. The cooler air is denser in oxygen molecules. More oxygen per given intake charge = more power. Also, the cooler the intake charge is, the less chance for detonation. The less chance for detonation leaves more room to "up" the boost even more before pinging = more power yet again.